Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Read the full review here:

Read the full review here
    Last edited by lgreenberg; 07/27/2004 at 06:04 PM.
    I think you mean the h6315, not the h4350. Here is the link to h6315 review...

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_iPaq_Pock...html?tag=prmo1
  3.    #3  
    You're absolutely righte Rome.

For some reason I though the 4350 had a wireless modem too.

Thanks for the correction. I've edited the thread.
    That bolt-on, lego-looking keyboard looks sweet!

not.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    No QWERTY keyboard = no dice as an email device. COnnectivity is fantastic but I cannot do without a keyboard now. I don't want to carry an external bluetooth keyboard - it's one too many gadgets to worry about.
    My biggest concern with the h6315 is actually the processor performance. It is running the TI OMAP 168 Mhz chip with Windows Mobile OS.....I've got a feeling that this thing is going to slow.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I really like the 6315...somewhat more than the XDA II because of the battery life advantage. Bluetooth, Wifi, GPRS, GSM, all included? Hard to beat that, even if I have to attach a bulky keyboard. Plus, you don't have to use the keyboard since handwriting recognition on PPCs is so good...

Yeah, the processor is slow but it is not meant to be a powerhouse PDA. It is kinda like the Treo in that it gives up a number of things to make it a really good blend of mobile phone and PDA. People have started to expect so much from PDAs now that they are more like mini computers that don't really do their main jobs very well....looks liek this unit is going to be able to do that...
    The battery life sucks with WiFi and GSM running! We tested for a month and the Treo 600 still runs circles around it.
    How could it? It uses Pocket P.C software. Not palm.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    No doubt here that this HP will light up a fire under Palm One's lazy Treo development 160 x 160 resolutions' ***! (which stands for absolutely slow systemupgradewehavethesame160x160screensince1998!)

I love it!

Donna! Maybe its time to leave the Gucci and Prada stores and get some features into the Treo.

Really guys the Treo 600 people were SO happy setting more and more carriers all over the place with that 160 x 160 resolution. It drives me nuts! My pictures look like crosswords! I hope the carriers now drop the Treo like an old potatoe and tell them to join this century!

Thank God for competition!!! Now out of self respect they will have to show up to work, or maybe upgrade the 160 x 160 screen, which they've loved and tested since 1998!
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    No QWERTY keyboard = no dice as an email device. COnnectivity is fantastic but I cannot do without a keyboard now. I don't want to carry an external bluetooth keyboard - it's one too many gadgets to worry about.
    unlike POS, PPC has true handwriting recognition software. Thumboard is not a requisite method to input item. (ie. treo only has rudimentary gesture typing apps if user doesn't want tiny virtual keyboard or thumbpad)

POS is much more limited in term of input. No HWR, no BT keyboard, etc...

h6315 review
    http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=440
    Quote Originally Posted by garyhartaz
    The battery life sucks with WiFi and GSM running! We tested for a month and the Treo 600 still runs circles around it.
    Sorry: It took you a month to do this silly test...? Was your Treo test unit running WiFi and GSM

Besides, unlike all Treos, you can get an extra battery for this iPAQ -like I have for my 2215. The h6315's cradle even has a slot for charging the second battery. BTW, the iPAQ's battery has tested very well. All of you can check it out here: http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=440
    The battery test result on P.4 reads: "As you can see, the iPAQ h6315 is a real champion when it comes to battery life."
    There are more reviews listed on a current All Handhelds thread.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    suskind/purplex - where ya been?!? We've missed your PPC-lovin', thumboard hatin' self for so long now.
    Glad to see you back.
    The treo has no competition. Nobody wants to talk on a flat square phone. It doesn’t have palm os (small amount of software available compared to palm os) and no built in key board.
    Quote Originally Posted by garyhartaz
    you tested for a month? The machine jut got out for less than 5 days. Nobody has this handheld except top PPC reviewers.

and here is the battery benchmark

Device Time until 0% battery
    HP iPAQ h6315 6h 42m
    HP iPAQ rz1715 3h 13m
    Dell Axim X30 3h 38m
    i-mate Phone Edition 3h 53m

Now, please show me Treo 600 that has 6hr, battery time. under a standard battery benchmark.

PS. It still amazes me what people are able to pull out of their asses.

incidentally, here is another model.

sliding thumboard 400mHz Xscale, BT/WiFi.
    http://www.ppcsg.com/forums/viewtopi...2f191280b4bc67
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21111
    The treo has no competition. Nobody wants to talk on a flat square phone. It doesn’t have palm os (small amount of software available compared to palm os) and no built in key board.
    While you preen and sing 'treo has no competition', the competition is already creating thinner, longer lasting batter, bigger screen, plus integrated BT with headset capability. Treo600 is FAT, has no WiFI/BT, crippeled SD slot, lousy screen, and pathetic battery life. (yes that's right, this ain't 2003 anymore)

http://www.mysmartphone.no/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0
    http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2849.html

The competition will integrate Wimax already by the time next real treo upgrade comes out. (no treo 610 ain't it. That's just treo 600 with different screen and still no real OS upgrade, WiFi and BT headset capability)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    No doubt here that this HP will light up a fire under Palm One's lazy Treo development 160 x 160 resolutions' ***! (which stands for absolutely slow systemupgradewehavethesame160x160screensince1998!)

I love it!

Donna! Maybe its time to leave the Gucci and Prada stores and get some features into the Treo.

Really guys the Treo 600 people were SO happy setting more and more carriers all over the place with that 160 x 160 resolution. It drives me nuts! My pictures look like crosswords! I hope the carriers now drop the Treo like an old potatoe and tell them to join this century!

Thank God for competition!!! Now out of self respect they will have to show up to work, or maybe upgrade the 160 x 160 screen, which they've loved and tested since 1998!
    They think putting on 320 by 320 screen and new shiny silver paint job are some sort of accomplishment. Hey donna... how about making a VOIP phone call via BT headset?

I bet they will sing: "who needs that? Nobody does that". Boy things sure move slowly in TreoLand.
    The battery life does suck when you have "100% utilization" of WiFi and GSM. The battery test in the review did 0% utilization!!!!

For testing we staged a test near a TMO Hotspot and in our own office. First we turned off GSM and relied on WiFi for Internet connectivity. We ran on the web for roughly 30 minutes before switching on GSM. As we left the WiFi coverage, GSM GPRS on TMO kicked in and took over, albeit painfully slower than the WiFi. While we surfed 2 calls came in for a rough talk time of 13 minutes combined.

When we checked battery life remaining, we found that only 38% remained and this unit was fully charged prior to our test. We believe this to be a "real world" benchmark and not come crappy battery run down loop application. The short of it is, if you use the hell out of WiFi and GSM w/GPRS, be prepared to add the battery sleeve and bulk the unit up. Also, out test unit was unable to have the detachable keyboard and the battery sleeve in operation at the same time :-(

And 'Suskind' we are an HP developer so we had it prior to it being released to stage 3 testers (i.e. "top PPC reviewers").
    we are an HP developer so we had it prior to it being released to stage 3 testers (i.e. "top PPC reviewers").
    and I am the king of sweeden

POST benchmark or don't make a peep.
    (oh that's right, you don't have the device anymore... )

The battery life does suck when you have "100% utilization" of WiFi and GSM. The battery test in the review did 0% utilization!!!!
    incidentally since h6300 suck when it has 100% WIFi utilization. What is the batterylife of treo with 100% WiFi utilization?

It doesn't suck I take it...
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    true handwriting recognition software
    HA HA!
    A myth that has persisted for over 15 years (Windows for pen Computing ver. 3.1, anyone?).

There ain't no such thing!

I moved up to the Treo from an HP 200LX. Now THAT was a goddam useful little machine (still is for some things). If it had an integrated phone and was a bit smaller, I woulda stuck with it. Of course, it was made in 1991 so that's a bit much to expect. It's too bad that HP jumped on the MS "pocket windows" bandwagon and abandoned it. It was a true desktop replacement, not just a PDA. I still miss the great keyboard it used. HP used to make some really cool, innovative stuff. Now all they make is the same ol' crap everyone else makes. Even their calculators are looking bad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast