Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The thing is the size of a BRICK!!!! And that's without the keyboard.

Crikey, mates ... what are you thinking? Use this as a phone?

Though, the rubber grips on the side look sort of sweet.

Liked the treo 600 ad right next to the review -- no comparison.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Suskind is definitely sounding like PurpleX here. To his complaint of the Treo Ace just being a better screen and paint, he seems to have forgotten a few specs. He said there's no BT, but every rumor of the Treo Ace has mentioned BT. More than a few mentioned a wi-fi as an add on, which is all I want, because it will keep costs down. He's got no retort (and conveniently makes no mention of) to the reported faster processor of the Treo Ace.

I'm not saying the new HP device doesn't look good, it does. It also looks on the large size - especially when you add the extra battery and the keyboard on. What I am saying is that the rumored Treo Ace is much more than the 320x320 screen and paint as Suskind says.

If the Treo Ace comes with an SD slot and drivers that support wi-fi, I can't think of anything that it can't do that the HP can. If the Treo Ace doesn't support wi-fi, I'll blame that on the carriers. TMO seems to be the only one with something to gain by allowing wi-fi, hence why HP can pull that off. I can't blame the Treo if they don't add a feature that only is allowed by one of 5 major carriers. I'd be rather frustrated by it, but I can understand it.
    suskind = the purple one. Welcome back! We missed ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    The thing is the size of a BRICK!!!! And that's without the keyboard.

Crikey, mates ... what are you thinking? Use this as a phone?
    Amen! No more PPC cell phones for me unless they go on a severe diet. Been there, done that--sick of lugging my G1000 brick around even though I do love the features & have no other complaints about the device other than the bulk--and trust me, that is quite enough of a complaint right there, which I'm reluctantly forced to admit after nearly a year in denial. And actually the built in key-board adding length wasn't my primary annoyance, as my old cell phone was kind of long, too--it is the typical PPC screen width that irks me most. Big screens are nice but suck for phones--in my opinion, for my purposes only. I'm not saying someone else shouldn't love that HP form factor. But I've lugged that width around for a year and it's made me rethink my priorities for what I want out of my next phone/PDA combo.

The review said the HP was bulky. That was all I needed to know.

Don't need BT, don't need WiFi. Just the phone, a semi-decent camera, the rumored better screen, the small but functional thumb-board, and the Palm functionality and I'm good to go. (A replaceable battery would be nice but I can live without it).
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    If the Treo Ace comes with an SD slot and drivers that support wi-fi, I can't think of anything that it can't do that the HP can.
    I've got one you can start with: multi-tasking -a 20th Century innovation.

The 270 and 300 were the last breakthrough products from the Handspring/Palm group. If the Treo does comes with these goodies, it'll just be catching up; and by the time it does -if- it'll be behind again/still.

"Disconnecting"
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Even if there are things the Ace can't do that the HP can, don't you (people in general--not just Rodolfo) think it already promises to do enough? I'm telling you folks, the more you try to pack in, the more bulk you add. I've been looking at some of the competition for the Ace and after I stop drooling over the features I stop and think do I really want a phone that is as bulky as the devices I'm looking at? Do I want one as complex, looking like little puzzleboxes with all the hinges and twists?

The Ace may be "just catching up" but I'm just wondering if anybody besides me is content and happy with the incremental upgrades it promises to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Suskind is definitely sounding like PurpleX here. To his complaint of the Treo Ace just being a better screen and paint, he seems to have forgotten a few specs. He said there's no BT, but every rumor of the Treo Ace has mentioned BT. More than a few mentioned a wi-fi as an add on, which is all I want, because it will keep costs down. He's got no retort (and conveniently makes no mention of) to the reported faster processor of the Treo Ace.

I'm not saying the new HP device doesn't look good, it does. It also looks on the large size - especially when you add the extra battery and the keyboard on. What I am saying is that the rumored Treo Ace is much more than the 320x320 screen and paint as Suskind says.

If the Treo Ace comes with an SD slot and drivers that support wi-fi, I can't think of anything that it can't do that the HP can. If the Treo Ace doesn't support wi-fi, I'll blame that on the carriers. TMO seems to be the only one with something to gain by allowing wi-fi, hence why HP can pull that off. I can't blame the Treo if they don't add a feature that only is allowed by one of 5 major carriers. I'd be rather frustrated by it, but I can understand it.
    If my grandma had a wheel she would be a wagon too.
    what happen to blow hard treo sycophant who use the argument yeah but treo 600 is real, MPX is still unreleased? So now we have no problem babbling about ACE compared to released product.

Well I got news for ya, that excellent ACE vaporware will be met with MPx and XDA IV.

Rest assure treo ACE will NOT be able to do WiFi, BT handset, Voice dial or OS 6.0. It's just treo600 with Hi-res screen a shinier paint job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I've got one you can start with: multi-tasking -a 20th Century innovation.

The 270 and 300 were the last breakthrough products from the Handspring/Palm group. If the Treo does comes with these goodies, it'll just be catching up; and by the time it does -if- it'll be behind again/still.

"Disconnecting"
    Here is breakthrough prediction:

MPX will have treo 610 for lunch, and h6300 will clean up the rest. On cheap low end model C500 will clean the clock.

Palmone will be back at singing, why would anybody need so and so feature. It's good enough. It's all about software legacy.

Mark my words, six months from now.
    And when P50 and XDA IV are ready, treo is over. Just like Tungsten is over when h1910 comes out.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21111
    The treo has no competition. Nobody wants to talk on a flat square phone. It doesn’t have palm os (small amount of software available compared to palm os) and no built in key board.
    Well unlike the Treo you have the ability to use a thing call Bluetooth, I know its a new fangled technology but I think I have seen one or two others phones with it supported also!
    Geesh...I think the whole new line of HP PPC's are kinda "ugggghhh" looking. Why did they abandon the 1900 series look? I still own a 1945 (I don't use it anymore), and think it is one of the slickest handheld designs out there. If they reduced the width, and added phone capabilities, I think they would have a winner of a device on their hands. The 63XX series is probably one of the better looking of the new lineup, but as many have said here, is way too wide to be well designed as a "phone" device. Of course, if you use a bluetooth headset ALL the time, then I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Does this thing have voice activated dialing?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21111
    The treo has no competition. Nobody wants to talk on a flat square phone. It doesn’t have palm os (small amount of software available compared to palm os) and no built in key board.
    Let's not be uneducated about the developer communities here. PocketPC, when it first came on the scene, had a pitiful amount of software compared to the Palm community, but this is not the case now-a-days. The PocketPC has every bit as much a body of software as Palm...I have spent time with both worlds (Palm and Windows Mobile) and would even say that some of the developments for PocketPC devices are more robust because of the hardware capabilities.

I think that the T600 has hit the sweet spot - but is definitely not sporting the latest in greatest technologies. The 600 was more about getting the design right. I am hoping that the good folks at Handspring/PalmOne, now they have got the design aspect right, are spending their time and effort to incoporate the "latest and greatest" in the upcoming release! But it is certainly true, that 600's reign will not last for much longer if they don't.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12