Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that I have your attention...

I've seen leaked info about this before, but it looks like it's finally about to come out:
    http://www.mobiletracker.net/archive...ola_a630_a.php

The Motorola a630 is supposedly due out this month (we're in July now, remember) for $200-300. Gizmodo incorrectly referred to this as being based on the MS Smartphone platform. In fact, it appears to be a Motorola home-grown OS (ugh).

Various observations:
    - Thumbboard looks to be immensely more comfortable than the Treo's though not as good as the hiptop.
    - Bluetooth
    - SD slot, camera, and MP3 functionality make for a decent amount of multimedia capability beyond just communication.
    - Supports POP3 email but no corporate email (at least not initially).
    - Apparently no web browser either, but it supports Java apps so perhaps ReqWireless' browser could work.
    - Screen resolution slightly better than the current Treo 600, but not as good as the rumored Treo Ace.
    - Rumored price is significantly less than the insanely-overpriced Treo 600. Not nearly as good as a hiptop though.
    - While I'm happy to see someone finally building something closer to the dream device I envisioned, I don't care for the positioning of the D-Pad. Move that to the left (good for gaming) and add a scroll wheel to the right a la old-school Blackberry and hiptop.
    - Exclusive to Cingular (at least for starters). Key will be how the data plans work out. I don't have much faith that Cingular will offer an affordable unlimited data plan for this.
    - Proprietary OS is a real buzz-kill. I don't imagine that Motorola will offer up any special developer tools, so you'll probably be stuck with just Java apps.

So what do you all think about this?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Could it be running the Qtopia OS?
    Well... Here's my 2 cents...
    First, the Treo being "insanely overpriced" is not everyone's opinion. Personally I think for all it does, the price was well worth it... Especially with the $150 rebate.

Beyond this, don't forget what makes the Treo the success it is... The multitude of talented and patient developers who crank out cool apps like it's nothing. Credit that partially to the Palm OS. A proprietary OS won't buy you nearly as much, though the Java will help. Still with the Treo you have support for both.

So Treo killer? Not for me...
    -C
    Im not gonna run to the store... im not gonna even read the white papers

in this case, you get what you pay for
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    A few sites say windows based, but I thought it was meant to be a Linux based smartphone, Qtopia, would explain part of the cost savings (licensing fees)...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccrochet
    The multitude of talented and patient developers who crank out cool apps like it's nothing. Credit that partially to the Palm OS.
    IMHO one of the only things that keep Palm going they certainly don't innovate and in a lot of ways are behind the 8 ball compared to a lot of the MS smartphones out there, hopefully Qtopia takes over and kills them both
    It's not for me....what software /system will it run ?? I like using Palm, it may be behind but it's easy to use, well established and as everyone knows incredibly well supported by developers with a huge choice of apps. None of my stuff would work on that device. I go my Treo 600 for £99 last October on a 12 month £25pm contract, hardly overpriced in my opinion. In fact, I would say that's great value. I find the Treo very easy to use, works very well and the combination of phone / pda is still in my opinion, the best available and will be for some time....until the treo ace comes out !!
    I think the only probably treo killers likely to come out are ms smartphones... wm2003 has speaker independent voice dial. If we just wanted a gsm qwerty keyboard the nokia 6820 would be fine. mpx 330 and the mda III or cu9928 are likely treo killers

a motorola phone just wouldn't have the apps to appeal to the average smartphone user.
    the only competition I see is the P50.

-6300 will be running the old Windows Mobile and has a big, clunky add on thumbboard

-XDA III has Wi-Fi but no BT and no GSM 850 (cool sliding keyboard though).

-MpX may or may not have 850 and is not a candy bar and I don't think people will enjoy having to open it all the time.

-The MpX will be like the 9500...for a niche market and those that have the money to show off. Treo is half the price of the MpX -> more readily available to consumers

...I just hope and pray that either the MpX or the P50 gets EDGE. that is more decisive for me than Wi-Fi
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    See... I feel that the 9500's fatal flaw is lack of applications.... why bother getting a phone if there aren't any applications. pocket pc has a rich application base with stuff like voice command, navigation that'll route you around traffic, better contact syncing with outlook, cad etc etc.... find all the apps for the stuff I do on my palm for symbian.... no way... with ppc you can do more.. plus add in a decent camera with a flash... the mpx is gonna rock... the 9500 is just lame.

you won't need the qwerty keyboard as much when you can dial by voice. plus add in a 1.2 mp cam with flash.... just wish it was cdma...

When did the treo suddenly get bluetooth or wifi anyways...
    Scott, Motorla copied your design!!! Where are your royalties!!!

I agree with most of what others here are saying about the OS. Devices like the Sidekick, BB etc are great for the job they're designed for (messaging and email), but they are inflexible in their adaptility. On the other hand, this is where the Treo shines primarily b/c of the PalmOS. If the A630 ran palmOS garnet or something, I think I might have seriously considered it..same goes for the SidekickII. It's too bad really...long ago Moto used to be a PalmOS lisencee before they joined up with M$. It would be awesome if they released a PalmOS device since they already have M$ smartphone, PPC, Symbian, and Linux devices. Why not just support every platform including PalmOs too?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It looks fugly
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    It looks fugly

i was thinking the same thing.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    something innovative for motorola, but doesnt hold a candle to the treo, at least not in my opinion. its interesting though.
    its not really innovative, they have a similar Accompli line before...like the Danger HipTop. Its okay for text and phone but no real apps that are worthwhile
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    And let's not forget, the new A630 has no hardware expansion. I realize that the SD slot on the Treo 600 is limited becasue of available power, but at least it's got one. Besides, since the introduction of the Treo 300 in August 2002, there is always some "Treo Killer" on the horizon. I believe one of the reasons that the Treo is such a great seller is its form factor. That A630 just looks like it wouldn't be easy to use to me (Certainly not as a phone, at least).

The other thing is that, not only are there millions of apps for a palm-based device, major developers in great numbers have now either released or are developing for the Palm OS. It seems to me that any "Treo Killer" would have to be Palm OS based, which will not ever happen it Palm plays it's cards right. Of course, they will be to convergent devices what Microsoft is to the PC, but we're a long way away from that.
  17. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I just read this review:

gizmodo-exclusive-motorola-a630-review

It seems that the a630 is something less than a Treo killer. However the upcoming MPx might be worth a look. Here are some specs:

Motorola MPx

Is it worth twice as much as the Treo?? Not in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    And let's not forget, the new A630 has no hardware expansion. I realize that the SD slot on the Treo 600 is limited becasue of available power, but at least it's got one. Besides, since the introduction of the Treo 300 in August 2002, there is always some "Treo Killer" on the horizon. I believe one of the reasons that the Treo is such a great seller is its form factor. That A630 just looks like it wouldn't be easy to use to me (Certainly not as a phone, at least).

The other thing is that, not only are there millions of apps for a palm-based device, major developers in great numbers have now either released or are developing for the Palm OS. It seems to me that any "Treo Killer" would have to be Palm OS based, which will not ever happen it Palm plays it's cards right. Of course, they will be to convergent devices what Microsoft is to the PC, but we're a long way away from that.
    I disagree, A treo killer is anything that is more innovative and more functional regardless of OS. If people decide that this is the new pda phone and move to MS and they leave behind the treo and palm, well that appears like a killer to me.

Also, that MPx is no joke. It looks fantastic, and if verizon gets one I would definitely take a "look" at it. To be honest, i don't care what it is as long as it does what i need it to do, reliably and fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by citi

Also, that MPx is no joke. It looks fantastic, and if verizon gets one I would definitely take a "look" at it.
    The MPx is the only option I've seen to date that will make me give up my 270. It has everything I need. The link says it's GSM/GPRS. If T-Mobile gets it (only acceptable data plan for me), I'll be all over it regardless of price; only a high SAR rating like the 600's would be a barrier. Any reliable info on the carrier?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    The gizmo is too large. That Mpx is awesome. I really like how the screen is protected when closed. Too bad it's not Palm OS, but I would make the switch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I just read this review:

gizmodo-exclusive-motorola-a630-review

It seems that the a630 is something less than a Treo killer. However the upcoming MPx might be worth a look. Here are some specs:

Motorola MPx

Is it worth twice as much as the Treo?? Not in my opinion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast