Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2106

The iPaq 6300 upcoming PDA release from HP should be very soon. The internal photos, test setup photos and users manual have appeared on the FCC website which usually means a release will follow in the next couple of weeks. Internal and external pics of this new iPaq 6300 are included for your viewing pleasure!

The HP iPAQ 6300 will be the first PDA to include virtually every wireless option there is: quad band GSM/GPRS, Bluetooth and 802.11b (WiFi). The phone will be able to be used almost everywhere, while the WiFi option will allow rapid data transfer at Hotspots or personal/corporte networks. The Bluetooth option supports wireless headset profiles and will enable the connection to other Bluetooth devices like printers. The release date is expected to be July 27 for this device but could possibly be earlier.

Here is the manual for the 6300:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've looked at the manual, and it's not clear to me if this device can be used as a wireless modem or not. It talks about connecting to a cellphone and using the cellphone as a wireless modem (why on earth would anyone want that?).

If a data-centric device can't be used as a wireless modem via bluetooth that would be a no-go for me.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    ...My next phone
    Where is the keyboard? No way I am going back to grafitti! Otherwise I would be in front line in a heartbeat!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    no thumboard. How is this fundamentally different from any of the other PPCphone devides out there - the TMo and AT&T ones that went nowhere, the Audiovox one that fell flat. ALl those current PPC phones without a thumbboard are the same, at their core, as this one. Big screen (yes, very nice), Windows PPC - whatever it's called these days - snooze me. Yes, you can't overlook all the wireless options - GSM., BT, Wi-Fi - all very nice, but I'll say it again - without the thumboard and the overall usability of the Treo, all those cool features might just end up as window dressing. There will surely be the PPC diehards (and even a few Treo users, no doubt) who fall all over themselves to get this newest cool thing, but over time, their use will dwindle away as it becomes clear that this device will be a pain to use on a daily basis as someone's MAIN phone and communicator device.
    Time will tell.
    It comes with a detachable thumbpad...
    http://www.smartfone.net/71/447.html
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Keyboard pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The specs on this device looks great. I am not knocking this device, but you can only tell so much from the spec: otherwise the Dell MP3 player would have been the best-selling portable music player now, not iPod. Industry design does matter when it comes to personal items like cell phones, watches, cloth, etc. We also don't know how the software will hold up. Nevertheless, this product will certainly put pressure on palmOne, and hopefully palmOne's engineering/design team has not been asleep at the wheel for the past 10 months.

Only time will tell.
    hmm - add on thumboard. I give those a big 'whatever'. That tells me that texting via the thumboard is an after-thought, and the overall design, as stated above, will be lacking in simplicity and elegance. But then, I've never used one of these, (nor have any of us) so who really knows?
    (all I can say is that I've had friends who've had that big PPC phone thing that AT&T Wireless used to sell, and who now have Treos, and they rave about the Treo, and say how MUCH better the Treo is than the PPC, and in the most simple of areas, like daily phone usage, ease of the overall interaction, etc - so, yep, design matters, as Rome stated.)
    Remember - HTC is the company that makes these for HP, and Sprint is releasing the HTC Harrier soon... A PPC competitor to the Treo 600.
    With the thumbboard added on the device looks huge. I'd rather have a Treo that can take an add-on for whatever communication/network I need. Of course the Treo can't due to some software issues, I see those as solvable. There's no software that's going to make that add thumbboard the size of a treo.
    Guys?
    Lest we forget we have been through this debate before in Feb. and Mar. of 04, before the great Treocentral crash! Ho "effin" Hum!!
    Detachable thumb-brick that will fit where?
    while the specs are impressive and all however, unless PPC can can co-exist with Palm simutaneously as an 0S bifurcate, forget it son!!
    I need to switch from PPC to Palm when applicable. Ya dig? That would be ideal for it would ease that protection on proprietary software and allow for inter-personal platforms. That would be supercool.. We can take care of more business and get our commerce "on". All sd slots would be uniform and are cohesive with each other. No need to upgrade that handset for you could open up the body and upgrade the memory and/or processor and even tinker with an interchangeable "face". akin to Nokia phones!
    Gangster! Most aren't ready.
    I love my Treo and look forward to others that may come a lil more correct, but I hope they incorporate the form-factor, ease of use and the petite-ness of our beloved 600s or it won't mean jack!!!!
    I do miss my old ipaq. I miss being able to open and edit word docs and html files. I know I can do it with my treo but it requires 3rd party software.

Also the PPC doesn't need a keyboard. It has a popup keyboard and it reads natural handwriting. (Grafti sucks and is palm only).

I went with the Treo for the phone pda combo that was the most reliable at the time. When my contract runs out with sprint (in about 1.5 years) I'll probably be switching back to the ppc. Unless Palm can make a program like filez that you can click on any file and open. Right now it won't open all my files even with Docs 2 go.

However, nothing right now can replace the fact that I can visit websites, use the pda and make phone calls.

When Ipaq makes thier 2nd pda/phone combo....... I don't know if I would want their first version the ppc os is'nt as stable. Just go back to the first of anything made and there are lots of problems. (Also why I didn't jump on the treo bandwagon until the t600 came out.

Just my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I've looked at the manual, and it's not clear to me if this device can be used as a wireless modem or not. It talks about connecting to a cellphone and using the cellphone as a wireless modem (why on earth would anyone want that?).

If a data-centric device can't be used as a wireless modem via bluetooth that would be a no-go for me.
    It can act as modem using cable every PPC can do that, not clear if it can use BT and GSM concurently. So far nobody can do that, but we'll have to wait for review.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    hmm - add on thumboard. I give those a big 'whatever'. That tells me that texting via the thumboard is an after-thought, and the overall design, as stated above, will be lacking in simplicity and elegance. But then, I've never used one of these, (nor have any of us) so who really knows?
    (all I can say is that I've had friends who've had that big PPC phone thing that AT&T Wireless used to sell, and who now have Treos, and they rave about the Treo, and say how MUCH better the Treo is than the PPC, and in the most simple of areas, like daily phone usage, ease of the overall interaction, etc - so, yep, design matters, as Rome stated.)

Built in thumboard is MPX and the rumored XDAIII.
    HP6300 is clip on.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    Guys?
    Lest we forget we have been through this debate before in Feb. and Mar. of 04, before the great Treocentral crash! Ho "effin" Hum!!
    Detachable thumb-brick that will fit where?
    actually h6300 is shorter than treo600. It is trure treo is not as wide, but than again that's what MPx and the BenQP50 are all about.

while the specs are impressive and all however, unless PPC can can co-exist with Palm simutaneously as an 0S bifurcate, forget it son!!
    PPC is in the process of eleminating POS. I am afraid POS has no future. (notice how Sony bails out)

I need to switch from PPC to Palm when applicable. Ya dig?
    no, I don't. why? because you have some lousy apps that PPC has better to replace it with?

All sd slots would be uniform and are cohesive with each other. No need to upgrade that handset for you could open up the body and upgrade the memory and/or processor and even tinker with an interchangeable "face". akin to Nokia phones!
    well, if POS can adopt FAT 32, then it's all dandy. But POS file system is a total mess.

I love my Treo and look forward to others that may come a lil more correct, but I hope they incorporate the form-factor, ease of use and the petite-ness of our beloved 600s or it won't mean jack!!!!
    treo 600 is actaully fat bloated plastic by now. Sorry about that.

Here is the smallest smartphone out there right now. (run SPT)
    http://www.pocketpc.ch/viewtopic.php?t=5594