1.    #1  
    If you go to Palm's website and try to purchase ANY of their handhelds, it says they are on back order until August 16th. Which is about the time when this new M100 is supposed to be released and the 'improved' Palm VII is available. Question is, I could understand the IIIe and VII being set to 'back-order' status as there are models replacing them. But why the IIIc, IIIxe, V, Vx?? Why would they ALL be on back order until August 16th.

I wonder if the M100 pictures and VII info was a little slack in the fishing line so that we wouldn't expect a complete palm line revamp? Then when you least expect it, that large net catches you off guard!

Sorry...did some fishing last week, bad analogy.

I've heard of companies using a tactic like this in the past.

This is just speculative however, and probably just me being WAYYY to bored at work on my second day back from vacation.
    Good thought!

What it may be, is they may be changing all of the casings of the units. I'm thinking they're making them all have color options trying to push Handspring out of the market. I sure hope Handspring releases its next product(s?) soon!!! I know they spent a very large amount of funding on R&D this first quarter, and I hope that means multiple units. If palm's completely changing their product line, handspring could have a bit more competition.

Here's another thought on it! Maybe Palm isn't changing the line, but changing the names? Maybe they're chaning to a complete Letter-Number scheme?

Just my 3.1415926 cents,

------------------
    -Petro
    Go to The Hunger Site and help eliminate hunger!
    All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
    Please go once a day! Every day!
  3.    #3  
    while we're on the rumour kick...

i can't disclose where i got this info, but word has it that Handspring will announce something possibly by this friday. the source is ok but the rumour sounds far fetched. (reminds me of the intelligence factors the british used in WWII for spy reports)

Just something i heard over the 'grapevine'.
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA:
    they are on back order until August 16th
    Could have something to do with the article about Handspring's June retail victory. There's a section that talks about the component shortages severely affecting Palm.

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA:
    while we're on the rumour kick...

i can't disclose where i got this info, but word has it that Handspring will announce something possibly by this friday...
    Hoser,

I do have to say, I wish I knew your sources, but I'll settle for the hope that you're right!! I can't WAIT to see what Handspring puts out next!

I know they're going to release a cellphone Springboard soon...

...come on! With all the hints they've been throwing around about the visor being "made for wireless communication" and "better voice calling with cell phones" not to mention the location of the Microphone being perfect if the visor were a cell phone.

But I really want to see what they're doing with the next Visor! After looking over the specs and seeing some of the springboard layouts, the SB Slot has to be in the same location, with the bottom being flush with the back (no protruding springboard slot like the TRG Pro's CF slot) and I'm thinking they're going to make the casing thinner and maybe aluminium. Just a wild guess though.

I SO can't wait for tomorrow now!!
    Any word on what time they'll make the annoucement Houser?

------------------
    -Petro
    All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
  6.    #6  
    after thinking about it, i personally don't think they will...this person i know mentioned it based on some information they stumbled upon while doing research for investments....

I'm just becoming more and more cynical whenever i hear of 'announcements' these days...
    I hope you're wrong Houser, but if you're not, I'm sure Handspring will realease the info soon enough! (but I want it NOW NOW NOW! )

(Now if tripod could only let me access my website again and not send me to the bug-zapper page every time I try to log on, I'd join Handspring's affiliate program!)

Keep us updated!

------------------
    -Petro
    Originally posted by Petro:
    I hope you're wrong Houser, but if you're not, I'm sure Handspring will realease the info soon enough! (but I want it NOW NOW NOW! )
    Well, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open on Handspring's website tomorrow.

(Now if tripod could only let me access my website again and not send me to the bug-zapper page every time I try to log on, I'd join Handspring's affiliate program!)
    I just joined yesterday. I was planning on adding some Visor stuff to my site anyway, so at least this way, if my raving gets them some business, I'll get some money towards new springboards or another Visor.

Toby
    ------------------
    "The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open." - Frank Zappa

[This message has been edited by Toby (edited 08-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Toby (edited 08-03-2000).]
    Well, so far you're right Houser. I hope things change though! I want that annoucement (though unless they're releasing a product within a month, I sincerely doubt an announcement )

------------------
    -Petro