Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I took a look at the PC Expo shots, and if even half of the MemoryStick devices make it to market, Sony is going to have a great PDA. I hope the Springboard developers out there also took a peek at what Sony is planning and adjust their own products to introduce some of the same devices. I think the Springboard form factor has more possibilities and would like to see similar devices for the Handspring that Sony is planning. I also think the Sony device, as shown in the PC Expo shots, would use a different processor than the Dragonball. The color display looked pretty good and hopefully would use 64K colors instead of the Palms 256. I'm sure I will be using my Visor Dlx for at least a year more, and hope Handspring will have something by then to give Sony a run for it's money.
    Sony's quickly becoming the Company of abandoned standards. Hell the only one that stuck was the CD, and that wasn't wholly theirs (Philips). Even if they do make a buttload of modules, that doesn't rule out SD or Springboards. It would help if all three Palm OEM's decided on one expansion slot.

In the end it will come down to who makes the best device, and has the most marketing capital. Sony has the cash to run their MS into the ground, just like Betamax, MD, and that Floppy thing (HDD?). It'll be interesting.
    Standardization of expansion slots as very likely to happen. However much we love our PDAs, we should remember that, at under $300, these are essentially disposable consumer electronics devices. It's not necessarily an advantage to license someone else's technology, since it cuts into already thin profit margins. Since Sony spent millions developing the Memory Stick technology, it makes sense that they would use it whenever possible. Then again, I'm a little biased since I own a Sony Vaio laptop, and look forward to transferring MS modules from the PDA to the laptop. Frankly I think that Palm is the company that should look into a better expansion solution. Unlike the MS cards, the SD cards really are memory only. Speaking as someone who hasn't even filled 2MB of my Visor's 8MB, I really couldn't care less about having 64MB storage capacity. The only platform where that would be a major advantage is on the Pocket PC.
    Originally posted by RadarGreg:
    I also think the Sony device, as shown in the PC Expo shots, would use a different processor than the Dragonball. The color display looked pretty good and hopefully would use 64K colors instead of the Palms 256.
    i read somewhere that sony will have 3 models. Grayscale (PalmOS 3.5), Colour (Palm IIIc) and a higher resolution colour. I'm pretty sure i read this on the same sight i linked the pictures to above.
    I bet it's going to be a heck of a lot easier to make a Springboard module that will emulate an SD or Memory Stick slot than it will be to make an SD or MS device that will emulate a SB slot.

IMHO, of course.
  6.    #26  
    Will Sony allow 3rd third parties to emulate their memory stick on SpringBoards?
    So to get all the way back to your original question:

Visor in the hand now or Sony later? If the answer is Sony later, then you don't really need a PDA now.

By the time the Sony hits the market, who knows what Palm, Handspring, TRG, HP, Casio etc. etc. will be selling...and then you'll find yourself asking, should I buy X now when there was just a show where company Y demoed direct brain implant wireless everything!

If you will get a subjective ~$250 worth of use out of a Vdx between now and when you'll be willing to buy the next new thing, then buy a Visor now...as the annoying NPR pledge drives say, that's less than $1/day.

BTW, there are plenty of ebooks that are absolutely free (see http://memoware.com/ . Of course, most of them are great literature, so they're more work to read than the latest Steven King
    I bet it's going to be a heck of a lot easier to make a Springboard module that will emulate an SD or Memory Stick slot than it will be to make an SD or MS device that will emulate a SB slot.
    you wouldn't even need to rmulate it...just create an adapter.

In fact, that's a really great idea. Someone could come along and make a MS/SD Springboard Adapter...you'd have the best of all three then!

Well, with the prices I've seen kicked around on Usenet (~$500), you could get two visors.

------------------
    "The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open." - Frank Zappa
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12