1.    #1  
    Say it ain't so....say it ain't so....

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...555650,00.html

[This message has been edited by foo fighter (edited 04-26-2000).]
    I'm almost relieved. I was worrying about Sony Memory Stick splitting the Palm expansion market.
  3.    #3  
    I'd be willing to bet money that Palm will choose Springboard as it's expansion bus, now that Sony is out of the picture.

...Unless TRG talks them into using CF!

------------------
    Foo
    The press release said:

"Sony Corporation, Texas Instruments
    Incorporated (NYSE: TXN), and Symbian
    announced today that Sony has ...
    licensed Symbianís software platform for
    its next-generation wireless phones."

It says nothing about dropping Palm. Sony is a big company - they could still make a Palm based PDA. Sony already makes some kind of PDA based on a proprietary operating system.

On the other hand, It looks like Sony will license anyone's operating system in return for a commitment to the memory stick. Maybe they don't intend to use any of these operating systems!

[This message has been edited by catsfolly (edited 04-26-2000).]
  5.    #5  
    Catsfolly,

I snipped this from the ZDNET news article:

Palm has announced loose plans to cooperate with Symbian, but the apparent defection of Palm's highest-profile licensee could force it to decide quickly whether to work far closer with the consortium.
    ...that sounds like a "show stopper" to me.

-----------------
    Foo

What part of "apparent" don't you get foo?!?

Seriously, the announcement is vague because it doesn't state which of the reference designs Sony is signing on for. The " . . . licensed Symbianís software platform for its next-generation wireless phones." part implies that it is for the smart phones, and not for the quartz based communicators (which are the real competition for Palm).

I also subscribe to the theory that Sony is just doing all it can to get folks to sign-on for Memory Stick. I'm not surprised that Symbian bit the Stick, but I was surprised when Palm did.

[This message has been edited by yucca (edited 04-27-2000).]
    A better link is http://www.allnetdevices.com/news/0004/000426sony.htm
    This article says that Sony will use Symbian in their Smart Phones.

------------------
    Jay