1.    #1  
    I'm a medical student about to start my rotations in the hospital. I wanted a PDA, so my more technically oriented MIT-grad friend and I just spent a couple weeks trying to decide between a TRG Pro and a Visor Deluxe.

We went with the TRG Pro. Here's why:

For the same price as the 8MB Springboard extension, we are buying top of the line 32 MB compact flash cards. The average user probably won't need this much space on a PDA, but we will use it to store things like the Physician's Drug Handbook. While this is only 2 MB, it all starts to add up.

The TRG Pro comes with 2 MB of flash memory that the visor doesn't have. I think this allows you to do a upgrade of the Palm OS without having to use patches.

One thing that sold me on TRG, is that we received a prompt email response from them in regards to a question. This may seem like a small thing, but I emailed and faxed Handspring, and a week later, I haven't heard anything. I was writing about a group discount. It's not a good sign when a company doesn't respond to a customer asking about a group purchase.

While I like the idea of the no-driver springboard, the low price, and the retail-oriented Visor; I don't like the idea of supporting a company that seems to have no concern for its customers. This sets a bad precedent for other companies. From what I have read on this website and other sources, it seems that Handspring has treated its customers terribly. What's worse is the passive attitude everybody has taken. Granted, it is only a little electronic box, so it's not the product that is worth getting upset over. However, to give somebody $250 and let them act this unprofessionally is unacceptable. I almost bought into too, thinking, "Well, I'll just take my chances and hope to get my Visor sometime next year. I'll also hope that Handspring doesn't fold so I won't have an obsolete product. I also don't mind that they don't respond to my email or fax, or that their customer service and technical support are reputedly horrendous" Then I realized that I almost hope that they do fold, so it will send the message to current and future companies that the old axiom about customers coming first still rings true.

Get yourself the book On Call - it'll help you out on the wards... The Washington Manual is awesome too: Internal Medicine for Dummies. I don't think either exist in digital format though...

One thing to make sure about is the Compact Flash is the compatibility of the programs. Not all programs and data files can be accessed in flash memory. So, for a lot of stuff, you HAVE to have it in RAM - it will be useless in flash, unless you're willing to continually swap it in and out - not really feasible when a nurse is on the phone asking what to do.
    I recieved my TRGPro evaluation unit yesterday and I will be reviewing it shortly, but I have a couple of initial reactions that may affect your choice of Visor vs. TRG.

1) The TRG does have a tremendous amount of storage capability when compared with the Visor. However, It is, unfortunately at the onset, just "storage". CompactFlash memory on the TRG is not treated like transparent read-only program memory like it is with the Visor's 8MB flash module. Files are stored in compactflash like a PC's hard disk, it uses the Windows FAT32 file system to archive information. You cannot run a program in Compactflash memory or store veiwable DOC files or databases in it without modifying the application to take specific advantage of it. TRG has a development kit for doing this, apparently Tealpoint and Aportis are working on TRG CF compatability but it does not exist now. My understanding from TRG is that getting an app to do this may only take a few days of programming effort .

Right now, you can use the CFPro utility built on the TRGPro to move files and applications back and forth between CF and user memory. This is a very easy and fast process, but it requires more housekeeping effort on the part of the user and it is still possible to be able to not have enough user RAM left to move in something stored in CF memory. The TRGpro also has 2MB of regular flash memory for upgrading the OS and storing read-only programs and data.

2) TRG's CFBackup software is superior to the HS Backup module. HS's backup module copies everything from your Visor to the module and overwrites its contents, and vice versa. In contraqst the CFBackup software included on the TRGPro supports multiple backup sets, like you would with a tape backup or iomega removable storage

3) The TRG has a much louder and superior sound system.

4) The TRG out of the box is only capable of syncing via serial cradle, although CF Ethernet syncing is in the works from 3com.

------------------
    Jason Perlow

Contributing Editor, PalmPower Magazine
    www.palmpower.com

Sr. Technical Editor, Windows CE Power
    www.windowscepower.com

Read My Articles at my home page:

www.argonautsystems.com