1.    #1  
    I thought I was committed to the treo 600 (waiting for T-mobile, but ready to give up and go to sprint at this point, especially with Amazon's pricing).
    But then today I went to CompUSA and played with the t600 and the Samsung i500 which were RIGHT next to each other.

I posted some of my questions on the pdaphonehome i500 forum, but I want to hear if anyone here has any thoughts for me.

I think the flip-phone and the graffiti appealed to me in the i500. In the treo 600, I'm nervous about the keyboard (I currently have a visorphone, no experience with keyboard).

In the treo, I like the camera, although could equally forego it. And I like the os5 and that navigation button. but again, I feel like I could go without it. Any thoughts from people who have used the os5 and 5-way nav and could never go back?

Are there any other glaring differences between the two phones that might help me make a decision here?

Thank you.
    Played with the Samsung too.

My top reasons for the Treo 600:

-Music player
    -Faster processor
    -More internal memory
    -SD slot
    -Keyboard (believe me, I love Jot/Graffiti 2, but now can do everything one-handed)

Good luck with your decision.
    Originally posted by bettyboop
    I thought I was committed to the treo 600 (waiting for T-mobile, but ready to give up and go to sprint at this point, especially with Amazon's pricing).
    But then today I went to CompUSA and played with the t600 and the Samsung i500 which were RIGHT next to each other.

I posted some of my questions on the pdaphonehome i500 forum, but I want to hear if anyone here has any thoughts for me.

I think the flip-phone and the graffiti appealed to me in the i500. In the treo 600, I'm nervous about the keyboard (I currently have a visorphone, no experience with keyboard).

In the treo, I like the camera, although could equally forego it. And I like the os5 and that navigation button. but again, I feel like I could go without it. Any thoughts from people who have used the os5 and 5-way nav and could never go back?

Are there any other glaring differences between the two phones that might help me make a decision here?

Thank you.
    I was a graffiti user, taking out the stylus every time to use the device, until I switched to the t600. Once you use the 5-way, you can't go back. I dunno about OS 4 vs. 5, cause I was on OS 3.5, but OS is definitely a huge jump forward. The 5-way alone makes the treo.

Cheers.
    The Treo's 5-way button is extremely useful.

Also, having Pocket Tunes play streaming radio while I surf Treocentral (like right now) is fun. For example, I found the CBS Mystery Theater station late last night. It was great to lay in bed and listen to a radio mystery showon the Treo.

I was a heavy graffiti user, but I love the keyboard and have never looked back.
    I use Jot/Grafitti 2 daily the T600 and it works great
    I was a Palm III user for 3 years and a Kyocera 6035 for 2 years so I was a bit skeptical about the keyboard. But I must say that I am used to it now and just like every other person that has posted here so far, the 5-way is awesome. Is very rare when I use the stylus. The camera wasn't a big deal for me. I really didn't care about it. But I am sure that I will love it when I least expect it.

The i500 is nice and small, however, IMO, when you compare the specifications of both and their price, the Treo 600 is a better deal. $500 for 16MB of memory and no expansion slot available is just way too much for me.

If you prefer a great phone with some nice PDA capabilities, then the i500 is your best bet. If you are looking for the overal package then go with the Treo 600.

My 2 cents...

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    you have to have tried the Treo to understand it. I have been using palm since '96 and a devoted Grafitti user. Now with the Treo, I find the number one thing is the 5 way. The Stylus is not needed. This is major thing in my opinion.

I still cannot get rid o' my Clie NX-60 yet as the display is head and shoulders above any smartphone.

The phone capability is one factor where Samsung is likely better. Since the I500 is a tri-band phone, you are going to be able to use the analog service when digital is not available. This is not as much a deal as time goes on unless you are in a very low density population area away from major highways.

My Treo with its digital only dual band single mode capability has worked very well as a phone and I suspect the 4 band GSM version is very good as well.

I find that my data entry speed is very good with the keyboard and it is not a liability whatsoever. I think the fact that you do not need the stylus is more of an advantage than the loss of Grafitti.
    Gene
    I briefly played with the i500 a month before the T600 was released, and I was very impressed. I had to fight the temptation to snap one up, since there was no authoritative release date for the Treo. After all, a bird in the hand . . .

I decided against it for three reasons: I don't like clamshell designs (aesthetically they're cool, but I don't like the ergonomics or the hinge lifespan), I don't like Graffiti for entering more than very short strings of text, and I don't like T9 predictive text entry (long story).

I can't even imagine going back to pulling out a stylus all the time. Unfortunately my favorite app, Project Manager, hasn't been updated for 5-way yet but it's open source and can be hacked. Other than Project I won't use an app without nav support anymore.

I have to admit that the subpar camera is an "essential." Bad snapshot photography, like bad sex, is better than none. With the Canon S230 I have to make a conscious effort to bring it along. The Treo's camera is terrible for posterity, but it's great to have a camera at all times, take a picture and send it immediately.

One advantage of the i500's clamshell design I concede is keeping the screen dust free. The Treo 600 is a dust magnet that virtually requires you to carry around a chamois and a bottle of Windex.

The SD slot is a must-have, and now with my $100 512MB card on the way , I can stuff 25 ogg-encoded CDs into my Treo and ditch the iPod I never had. The advantage of the faster processor becomes more obvious when you're on the internet than when using internal apps.

Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    I have to admit that the subpar camera is an "essential." Bad snapshot photography, like bad sex, is better than none.
    ROFLMAF, so true so true.

While I can't offer a side by side comparison because the I500 did not offer enough for me to seriousy consider it over the Treo. Bottom line is what your needs are and which one best meets those needs. I like to get more for less so Treo hands down is best.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by bettyboop

Thank you.
    Which to choose depends on what you're looking to get out of the phone. If you're a casual PDA user and are pretty sure you'll be satisfied with the Samsung's limited memory and inability to do card backups, it may be a better choice. It's better-constructed than the Treo 600 and is more compact and easier to carry. While the Treo's keyboard works better than Graffiti for many - but not all - people, not having a keyboard and the Treo's navigation button probably isn't a huge issue for the typical user. If you want the ability to listen to MP3s or to always have a (really crappy) camera with you - in case you come across Britney and Madonna making out somewhere - then guess which is the better choice? Only you know which features matter most to you.

I just wanted a small, reliable, well-built PDA-phone with at least 32 MB memory and an expansion slot for additional applications and backups. (In my opinion, not having an expansion slot on a PDA is inexcusable in 2003.) Samsung dropped the ball on the expansion issue, so that left the Treo 600 as the only option.
    I owned an i500 for 2 1/2 months before "trying out" a T600. I loved the i500. The form factor was tremendous, and build quality excellent. People have said they don't think the flip phones are strurdy, but the flip on the i500 opens and closes like a Mercedes door. Solid. That being said, I just sold it on eBay. The Treo is a much better integrated, well thought out device. Much easier to use thanks to the Nav pad. Both are good devices, but they have different strengths. The i500 is more phone centric, and the Treo more PDA centric.
    I almost bought the i500. I would have it would of came out when it was supposed to. Thanks to Samsung it was only released a month or two before the t600. I waited to see the t6-00 and I am glad I did.

A few reasons I choose the t600 over the i500:

The 5way navigator
    sd slot (being able to backup and restore on the fly is necessary)
    faster processor
    keyboard (can't live without now, used to love graffiti)
    mp3 player

If you are wanting the smartphone more as a phone I would say go the 500 route. If you want to use it more as a pda go the 600 way.