1.    #1  
    Hi all... Firemothjoe here, hiptop.com's old crank.

I've been a t mobile sidekick user for almost two years now. Myself and several thousand other sidekick users are getting fed up with their closed OS, horible reception, slow updates and lack of reliable connectivity.

Naturally our eyes have turned to the treo 600. Some are waiting for t mobile to carry it, not me. I've had it with t mobile, so I'm waiting for my contract to expire so I can take my phone # to another carrier.

There's been a lot about the t600 posted on hiptop.com the only complaints I'm hearing is that the aol instant messenger is crap (compared to the sidekick) and the screen doesn't look that well in direct sunlight. Is this true?
    ......... )oe ............
    Black&White Sidekick,
    Color Sidekick,
    Sidekick 2,
    *Treo 600* AND NEVER LOOKED BACK!!
    Well I haven't tried the AIM built for Palm OS, but I have used a program called Verichat that will allow you to use AIM, MSN Messenger, ICQ, and Yahoo Messenger all from a single client. It is very nice if you have different messenging clients and would like to be able to see who is on line on all your different accounts with a single window. They even put an icon beside the contact so you know which service they are logged in on. The cost is $25 the first year, and $20 per year after that. They have a free trial. Mine is expired, but I will probably buy it within the next couple of months. It is a great all in one solution.

I haven't seen a Sidekick screen in sunlight for comparison, but I can say that so far I have been able to read the Treo's screen outdoors every time that I have tried. The screen is the best one that I have seen for outdoor usage on a PDA/Phone so far.
    Originally posted by firemothjoe
    There's been a lot about the t600 posted on hiptop.com the only complaints I'm hearing is that the aol instant messenger is crap (compared to the sidekick) and the screen doesn't look that well in direct sunlight. Is this true?
    yes and yes?

AOL's palm client gives many ppl problems. This is why a lot os users use third party apps like verichat from pdaapps.com. there are others. They cost, but they work.

In direct sunlight, the treo 600 is not all it could be but suprisingly I haven't read many complaints (so far) on the boards here. Remember though that a lot of users moved from the 270/300 which was horrible and these users are probably happy that it is better now.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I get my T600 later today, so I can't answer about the screen in sunlight. It's supposed to be dramatically better then the T300, which absolutely sucked in sun, so I'll be happy. I've generally heard that it's not great in direct sunlight, but not terrible. I could speak more on this later today.

As far as AIM goes, the built-in Vision AIM and AOL's client aren't very hot, but you can get VeriChat or Chatter (not out yet, but coming soon!), which are both excellent AIM clients, probably the equal to that of the Sidekick (although I've never used a Sidekick - the closed platform is a real turn-off).

Overall, I've loved my Treo 300... it had a few minor quirks but I love having a fully-functional Palm PDA integrated with my cell phone - it's just an idea that makes so much sense. The sidekick looked kind of cool to me, but I never thought it looked that great seeing as how you couldn't install 3rd-party apps onto it, and I wanted a device with a bit more of an emphasis on the phone part of things, which the Treo does.

Good luck! Hope you find your happy medium in smartphone space.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think the AOL instant messenger is the one and only thing I'll miss on the sidekick... But the t600 seems supperior in every way. I origionally baught the black and white sidekick under the impression (from the TMobile dealer) that it had a speaker phone- and the usb and IR port actually did somthing. Then the release of the color sidekick flustered me into renewing my contract. But now we've been waiting over a year for a OS update that would allow for some simple things such as a calculator and copy& paste.

The treo 600 had me at hello! So now I'm just waiting for my contract to expire.