Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Warning to Treo/Handspring/Palm:

The new Sony p900 is a cutie. Lighter, cuter, and with that detachable dial pad where you can attach a keyboard. Hi res, BT, Wifi...

Warning:

Update the 600 quickly with a hi res screen!
    Picture?
    Roger
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    P900 SPECIFICATIONS

The Sony Ericsson P900 is a triple band mobile phone, an MP3 audio and MPEG4 video player, an advanced handheld device and a mobile video and digital camera. Wherever you are, you have phone and e-mail access to your network of contacts. Your calendar is updated. And you have every mobile messaging possibility available. Send pictures taken with the P900 built-in camera in seconds. Record a short video clip and e-mail it straight away. Text input is easy. P900 has an on-screen keyboard and a large touchscreen for your comfort. Discover the multi-tasking P900 for yourself. And let rocking MP3 music Ringtones impress others.
    The Sony Ericsson P900 is easy experience sharing. We call it QuickShare™.

Features
    Connectivity:

Bluetooth™ wireless technology

GPRS

High Speed Data

Infrared port

Memory Stick Duo™

RS232 cable support

Sync ML

Synchronization Apple®

Synchronization PC

USB support

Controls:

Internet key

Jog dial

Keypad lock

Menu shortcuts

Option key

Redial

Sleep mode

Speed dialing

Status view

Touchscreen

Vibrating alert

Voice control

Voice mail

Entertainment:

Content online

Games download

Games embedded

Java

Melody composer

MP3 Audio

MPEG4 Video

MP3 ringtones

Polyphonic sound 24 voices

Start-up/Shutdown shows

Video player

Imaging/Messaging:

208x320 pixel Screen

Backlight display

Camera VGA

Color LCD 65,536

CommuniCorder

EMS (Enhanced Messaging)

Handwriting recognition

Instant messaging

MMS (Multimedia Messaging Services)

MMS templates

Picture editor

Picture gallery

Picture phonebook

Picture wallpaper

Predictive text input

QuickShare™

Screensaver

SMS long (Text Messaging)

Sound recorder

Themes display

Video clip

Video streaming

Viewfinder display

Features

Internet:

cHTML

Modem

M-Services

OTA settings

WAP 2.0

WTLS class

Organizer:

Alarm clock

Business card exchange

Calculator

Calendar

Call list

Clock

Conference calls

Contacts

Phone book

PIM sync

Speaker phone

Stopwatch

Tasks

Timer

Networks

GSM 900/1800/1900

Available color

Urban Grey

Accessories

Advanced Car Handsfree HCA-20

Advanced Music Mute HCE-16

Bluetooth&trade Car Handsfree HCB-30

Bluetooth™ Headset HBH-35

Bluetooth™ Handsfree HBH-200

Bluetooth™ Handsfree HBH-65

Car Holder HCH-30

Car Holder HCH-37

Cigarette Lighter Adapter CLA-11

Desk Speaker Stand CSS-20

Executive Case IEC-20

External Handset HCE-10

HCE-12

HCE-14

HCE-16

HCQ-30

HCX-30

HPR-20

Blue Torch IBT-20

Laser Pointer ILP-20

CDS-11

DCU-10

Micro Travel Charger CMT-10

Portable Handsfree HPB-20

Standard Battery BST-15

Standard Charger CST-13

System Cable HCC-20

System Cable HCC-30

USB Cable DCU-11

Weight: 150 g

Length: 115 mm

Width: 57 mm

Depth: 24 mm
    Everything there is to know about the P900, including high-res pix. Follow the review to the very end.

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=520

It's a beauty.
    Originally posted by mgauss

The new Sony p900 is a cutie. Lighter, cuter, and with that detachable dial pad where you can attach a keyboard. Hi res, BT, Wifi...

Warning:

Cool phone? definately.
    Cuter, lighter? not really.

P900 - 4.7"x2.3"x1" and 150g
    T600 - 4.4"x2.4"x.9" and 168g

I'd call that a wash.

What's the $$$.

Currently the deal breaker for me would be lack of built-in QWERTY keyboard and non-common OS.

Now if it was PPC...
    $699

Sony always marks their stuff up...

And onward with the parade of the VGA rez craperas! (cameras)!
    looks to be a great screen though, and for that I applaud Sony (as they have made Palm OS handhelds maintain their appeal until the rest of the Palm world caught up)...
    ERMMMMMM

now why would I want to carry around a keyboard with me when I have one already built into my phone?

High res? Who cares, its a phone not a HDTV, use it to make calls and check e-mail, calender, contacts, etc.. eg: mostly text.

For a business device the treo600 is all you need
    I want 1080i on my next Treo!
    I agree with no1ukn0w, with all of the carring on about hi res, i wonder what battery life is on the sony. Plus I want less to carr not more so the sony is not for me!
  11. purpleZ
    Originally posted by mgauss

Warning:

You don't work for Sony, do you?

Lighter? Not by much.
    Cuter? I don't think so.
    With that detachable dial pad where you can attach a keyboard? Treo 600 owners don't need a plug in keyboard.
    HiRes screen? Who cares on devices with screens this small?
    BT? One advantage in the P900's favor.
    WiFi? I don't think so.

I hope Handspring maintains the current screen resolution until there are zero compromises needed to get a high res screen.

Symbian won't be able to come close to having the range of apps that PalmOS has for a very long time. But with competition like the P900, Palm can't afford to make any more mistakes these days - people that have never used Palms won't think twice about choosing Symbian smatrphones over PalmOS phones.
    Originally posted by purpleZ

You don't work for Sony, do you?

Lighter? Not by much.
    Cuter? I don't think so.
    With that detachable dial pad where you can attach a keyboard? Treo 600 owners don't need a plug in keyboard.
    HiRes screen? Who cares on devices with screens this small?
    BT? One advantage in the P900's favor.
    WiFi? I don't think so.

I hope Handspring maintains the current screen resolution until there are zero compromises needed to get a high res screen.

Symbian won't be able to come close to having the range of apps that PalmOS has for a very long time. But with competition like the P900, Palm can't afford to make any more mistakes these days - people that have never used Palms won't think twice about choosing Symbian smatrphones over PalmOS phones.
    Agreed.

The symbianOS, while it's underdeveloped, is more of a phone-centric OS. From my short use of the Nokia3650, I never experienced a crash, while crashes on my T180 is approaching weekly. For a PDA, it might be ok to pull out the reset pin, but having to reset the smartphone because a call came in? That's getting a little rediculous to me.

I saw some interesting phone applications for Symbian. There is a call blocker which automatically blocks calls from certain numbers. There's also a "miniGPS" program, which can detect which cell tower your phone is receiving signal from, and change the profile setting. It's rather nice to set it to silent mode automatically as you approach your favourite theatre.

Personally, I do think hi resolution screen is useful. In the old days when there are only texts on the phone, a low resolution screen is perfectly acceptable. With today's integrated camera, web browsing, and basically any software with images, it is ESSENTIAL to have high resolution. It might be ok to surf the web on Blazer 3, but come on, admit it, it's a pain in the *ss to not be able to see the webpage as you normally could on a desktop. With a 160x160 screen, you can't even see one quarter of the picture you took on the integrated camera!
    Don't forget you can carry 8 x 256MB SD cards in your pocket for around £320 for a whopping 2GB of storage - a few movies, plenty of mp3s and 2,000 applications.

If you buy 16 x 128MB sony duo cards they will cost you a whopping £880!
  14. purpleX
    Originally posted by purpleZ
    by the time Handspring found this zero compromise screen, The world has moved on to anti gravity and flying cars.

Handspring and advance screen? has that EVER happened? Handspring always put the cheapest crappiest color screen on the market, because they don't have the connection to get the best screen in the market.

12bit STN 160 by 160screen? I mean what is that? Barbie's calculator?

The current cutting edge screen is 2.2 inch QVGA used in a lot of high end japanese flip phone. Microsoft already telling their developer to get ready to support this type of screen.

Don't bet on it, Palm developer are porting their wares at incredible rate. Paragon softwares just port their entire "Handy"wares (expense, shopper, etc) to Symbian.

It may take a while to have the more obscure functionality on that platform, but once the basics are covered most people doesn't complain.
    Dude ... you really need to work on your english, especially grammar.

When will you accept the fact that different people have different needs and require different devices? It shouldn't be just PPC or just Palm or just Symbian. It's called finding a market and developing products for it.

MS has really mucked up the PC market by stifling competition -- the last thing we need is for them to do the same to the converged device market. Personally, I'm cheering for Linus Torvalds to clean MS's clock.

BTW ... what device do you use?
    In the end the market will decide if the P900 or the T600 is a success. One thing the Sony/Ericson phone has going for it is brand recognition and marketing might.

Everyone's needs for a converged device are different. I dont understand the folks that make a big deal out of a hi res screen and they probably dont understand a must have need of mine. If I want to do REAL work, I pull out my laptop, so the ability to browse a website exactly like it appears on my laptop is not that important. Face it guys, these devices are compromises. Different products fill different needs. There is not one "best" smartphone.

I have heard good things about Symbian OS. I am not much a fan of the PPC, and I like the PalmOS. I am glad that we have choices in this market and we can discuss it. In the desktop world you are pretty much stuck with M$ and Windows. Although I am glad to see Linux making a charge. I suspect in the future we will see more Smartphone based on Linux. Then I will sit up and take notice.
    Carl
    Originally posted by conflagrare

Agreed.

The symbianOS, while it's underdeveloped, is more of a phone-centric OS. From my short use of the Nokia3650, I never experienced a crash, while crashes on my T180 is approaching weekly. For a PDA, it might be ok to pull out the reset pin, but having to reset the smartphone because a call came in? That's getting a little rediculous to me.
    ...snip...
    Symbian OS could conceivably catch up to Palm OS in the general usage category...and IF that happens, it will experience the same degree of crashes.

It is SOFTWARE that causes operating systems to crash. When software developers bend or break the rules of the OS to "squeeze out" a bit more performance, their programs step on parts of the OS and crash the system. The more software that's available for an OS, the more this is likely to happen.

If your Nokia had to live up to the standards of all-purpose usage of a Palm OS device, it would crash just as much (if not more).

A toaster is reliable as a toaster because no one asks a toaster to be anything but a toaster. A phone will be reliable as a phone if that's all anyone ever asks of its operating system. Can that be said for the Palm OS running on the Treo? No. People will demand to do considerably more on a Treo. Should they be able to? Of course...and they should...but don't be surprised if you see more problems.

More capability = more complexity = more things that can go wrong.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast