Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looks like a utilitarian design nightmare... like something I would make
    Candidate for Trek-device of the year award

Things I like (or more to the point, I wish the Treo had).
    Bluetooth
    Multi-Tasking
    www.gsmworld.com
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    If they put a thumboard on the P900 what would happen?

Can HS learn from them?

It is lighter than the 600
    It talks longer
    Its hi res
    Tho' the Treo 600 does not have true multi-tasking, you can still play an mp3 in the backround, take a phone call and edit some data at the same time.

The Handspring guys have done a good job of giving us 'apparent' multi-tasking, which, to 95% of users, is all they need from a smartphone.
    Originally posted by Cyril
    Tho' the Treo 600 does not have true multi-tasking, you can still play an mp3 in the backround, take a phone call and edit some data at the same time.

The Handspring guys have done a good job of giving us 'apparent' multi-tasking, which, to 95% of users, is all they need from a smartphone.
    Yeah, but it ain't cool when a task crashes and takes the OS with it - PalmOS, Windows3.1/95/98...

Your OS is a lot more resiliant with real multi-tasking. Reminds me of the Commodore Amiga - great PC. Never crashed (now that's a blast from the past)
    www.gsmworld.com
    > ...Reminds me of the Commodore Amiga - great PC. Never
    > crashed ...

Gack!!!

Shall we conveniently forget the infamous Guru Meditation Error!?

I personally believe that HORRENDOUS PRPRPR $GAFF$ $was$ $a$ $major$ $factor$ $in$ $bringing$ $down$ $the$ $Amiga$.

A Blinking RED Screen Of Death WORSE, if you can believe it, than the Microsoft Infamous Blue Screen of Death!

I owned three Amigas - still have two, including a "signed" Amiga 1000.

Cool machines, no sales, dead company.

Hey! Just like Handspring!
    Hehe, yeah. I remember the red screen (sort of sickly pinkish red).
    Well, I had very little in the way of crashes... nowhere near as much as my 'faithful' Win98 home PC.

I still have a 500+ and a 600HD (yeah, the one with the massive 20mb internal HD) - a complete failure
    www.gsmworld.com
    No thumboard, and it looks bigger than the 600. No sale for me, but it might find a market.
  8. purpleX
    It's smaller than p800, with slightly bigger screen. Last quarter SE sold this thing in Europe more than Handspring sold treo in the entire year.

P900 is projected to be a winner, something like selling 3 times the treo number world wide.
    It sells to people who think its cute, and have a big pocket book. It shouldn't even be discussed in relation to the Treo, they serve totally separate purposes. Try typing a reply on this message board on the P900. (like I am on my T600 now) I'll go get some lunch, and check back with you when I am done. It is a machine for "viewing" not getting any work done.
    Looks pretty slick to me. If the handwriting recognition is good I can live without the keyboard.
    The only PDA I've ever had that let me really do serious work on it was the Newton 2100. In fact, I'd still put that device up against any on the market today. For being almost 8 years old it stands up.
    As for unstable OSs...umm Palm's is right up there with the worst I've seen. Pretty much any application misbehaves and you've got a soft reset.
    Anyway, it's good to see more competition in this area in three areas.
    1. Smartphone OS
    2. Device Size and Design
    3. Features and Functionality

I'm really hoping that one of the PPC makers comes up with something that really competes. This means a battery that lasts longer than a phone call to order pizza and a game of tetris.

..ken
    The P900 owns the T600. It's gorgeous and if it weren't for the lack of PCS Vision and software support I would be extremley tempted. I'am not brand loyal at all. Sure ain't paying $1400 for it right now though (That's what people are currently paying to get early ones..hah)
    Originally posted by smharmon
    It is a machine for "viewing" not getting any work done.

Originally posted by convbcuda
    No thumboard, and it looks bigger than the 600. No sale for me, but it might find a market.
    Might find a market?!? Are you kidding?! SE sold >> 800,000 P800's FYI and the P900 should similar or (most likely) more! This is far better sales than HS ever had AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK! $To$ $put$ $is$ $succinctly$, $the$ $P800$ $is$ $by$ $far$ $the$ $greatest$ $competition$ $Handspring$ ($and$ $now$ $PalmOne$) $has$ $in$ $the$ $smartphone$ $space$, $even$ $greater$ $then$ $M$$ $smartphones$ $like$ $the$ $SPV2$ $or$ $MPx200$. $It$ $also$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $mail$ $reason$ $why$ $I$'$ve$ $bemoaning$ $HS$ $for$ $putting$ $such$ $a$ $terrible$ $screen$ $in$ $the$ $T600$! The only thing that is really keeping me at bay from the P900 is the UIQ OS. There's quite a bit of apps now for UIQ plus it can run Java apps, but I've invested too much $ in Palmos. Also it doesn't have a thumbboard but it does have a "higher" (208 X 320) rez screen and removeable keypad...

The truth is if Handspring had put a 320x320 rez screen and BT into the Treo600, I wouldn't even be think about the P900...alas they didn't and I wonder how long the big heads at PalmOne are gonna wait before they upgrade these features into the Treo600. IMHO, they better not wait long...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Couldn't of said it better!
    What is the point of this device without a keyboard? When I received my first Blackberry, the keyboard was a godsend. The only thing that this has that I would like is a hi-res screen. And BT? I don't own a mac, my car doesn't have built-in BT and the BT headset is a nice but doesn't justify BT yet for me.
  16. purpleX
    thumboard == PHB alert.
    For the keyboard: for all Ericsson phones you can add a very nice, neat, light keyboard (my local AT&T has it for only $12). This keyboard is far better and cheaper than any Palm add-on keyboards and very easy to carry with (lighter than 1 oz). I actually prefer this add-on keyboard, because most of the time the digit keyboard is good enough and easier for one-hand. When I do need to type lots of text such as writing an email, I hook up the keyboard which is much more comfortable to type with than Treo 600's.

So, the keyboard is non issue. The only problem to me is: no CDMA. In my office there is no T-Mobile signal at all while there is Sprint and Verizon. Available software is another problem - no compare to Palm.
    Are you kidding?!
    Sorry, it just doesn't appeal to me. I hate graffiti and I doubt handwriting recognition will ever be accurate enough. I don't think is there enough screen space to make hadwriting recognition easy anyway.

Just my opinion. If others are happy with it, that's great. That's why there isn't just 1 phone manufacturer.
    Originally posted by smharmon
    It sells to people who think its cute, and have a big pocket book. It shouldn't even be discussed in relation to the Treo, they serve totally separate purposes. Try typing a reply on this message board on the P900. (like I am on my T600 now) I'll go get some lunch, and check back with you when I am done. It is a machine for "viewing" not getting any work done.
    try dialing someone from ten feet away by pressing a button on your BT headset and saying their name...i'll check back with you in two years, lol....

most people who slam the p800 have never tried one, but read the press on it and you'll see that 90% who have reviewed it, consider it the best converged device to date.

i dont get why people say theres no comparison- just because the treo has a thumbboard doesnt make incomparable to any other device...from what i can tell, its not a terribly good phone compared to the p800/900, which is a great phone first, and a very good pda second.

all of this stuff about people going nuts over the 5 way navigation thing- is pretty standard for p800 owners, we've got a five way jog dial, which does exactly the same thing, and works in every app.

all of the stuff about the famed phone integration- again, on my sony ericsson phone 3 three years ago, i could hold down a number on the keypad, and it would jump to that letter group in the phonebook...or i could hit ok, speed dial.

the treo 600 screen blows, no voice dialing, no bluetooth, no multi-tasking, no opera browser, and the list goes on...

i'm very eager to try one to see if it can replace my p800, but i dont know if the thumbboard overrides all of those other faults.

the new p900 is smaller, and has more resolution and color depth with the flip closed than the entire treo 600 screen...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast