Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As I read these treads and the buyer’s remorse sets in I sit back as say to myself.
    Hey I am a simple user all I want is to be able to use a phone, take notes, access my email lookup people in an address book, browse the web, play a mind dulling game on trips and oh maybe take a picture if I see a UFO.
    Does the T600 do this … yes
    But my head pounds once I sit next to a person with a PPC device. Why? Well because
    Their machine’s Screen looks like quality; Beautiful TFT renderings, it is fast, it is MS so you don’t have to get acquainted to the Palm OS. So why am I hooked into Palm OS? Why am I hooked into Treos? I have Read that HS is being sold so Why?
    Because I am loyal to Palm and HS…Why.
    Well my experience with the T300 was good until It fell apart….Hummm

Can you remind me of the benefits of the Palm OS and why I shouldn’t have jumped over
    To PPC.

Signed Remorseful but happy.. so will kinda
    I often think the same thing. I also find it funny how people ridicule others on this forum for comparing other phones to Treo.

Treo is a phone, just like any other phone.. making it VERY appropriate to debate Treo vs PPC phones.

To answer your question:

Treo has a keyboard
    Treo doesnt look like a brick against your head when speaking
    Treo is Palm OS = TONS of software for it
    Oh boy, I can just see this turning into another flame war quick!

Their machine’s Screen looks like quality; Beautiful TFT renderings, it is fast, it is MS so you don’t have to get acquainted to the Palm OS. So why am I hooked into Palm OS? Why am I hooked into Treos? I have Read that HS is being sold so Why?
    What does the screen on the Treo600 have to do with the OS? FYI, PalmOS can support beautiful high rez screenies (far higher rez than PPC), just look to devices like the T3 and clies. The lack of better screen on the Treo600 is b/c of a decison made by HS, not b/c of a lack of PalmOS support!

Finally, the reason for HS's merger with Palm have been discussed numerous times already. If you don't know why already, then do a search.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I just switched to palm, because you just can't get everything the Treo600 has with a PPC Smartphone. That said I don't think palm as an OS is better than ppc. In the past 3 day's since I've gotten my Treo I’ve spent about $100 bucks on software that you get for free with PPC products.

I had a T68i and an Ipaq 3975. The screen was great and I could send/receive email, surf the internet, etc... all using Bluetooth.
    But as soon as I would get a call I'd have to reach in my pocket and pull out the phone(that got old.) I figure I'll have this phone for one year by then Handspring(Plam) will have a high rez version out.
    I just came from an XDA to the treo 600, and the t600 is the better phone in _my_ opinion.

I try and stay OS agnostic, and currently palm (in the form of handspring) offers the far better deal.
    Huge advantage: It's not Microsoft. You don't overpay for crappy software, and you aren't giving money to the evil empire.

I like the PalmOS because it's simple and elegant, and because it isn't married to a particular desktop computing platform.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I prefer the Palm OS because it does it's job simply and efficiently. It's all i really want, if i needed more then i'd just whip out my laptop. I'm personally not looking for something to replace my laptop, but more to complement it, or make do when it's not feasable to have my laptop with me. AND, personally, i think the keyboard and LACK of a Graffiti writing area is a negative. I'm much more efficient with Graffiti and a stylus than i am with a mini keyboard. Either way, it takes two hands to use it efficiently. Also, with Palm OS, you're not having to download security patches every week. And since there is no Apple OS PDA (current, don't get technical on me) i'll stick with Palm.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I To answer your question:

Treo has a keyboard
    Treo doesnt look like a brick against your head when speaking
    Treo is Palm OS = TONS of software for it
    Point taken But Tons of software does not always mean you are getting good software just as being in the ocean doesn't mean you won't get thirsty.

MS is a major company and they back PPC and
    PPC is fairly new compared to Palm.
    for one thing I think Palm is SO WAY BEHIND ppc is the lack of any sort of sub-pixel rendering technology - it's particularly a shame considering the low 160x160 resolution on Treo 600 - that would practically 3x the horizontal resolution for font display and drastically incrase the usablity of a small screen
  10. AJB
    Micro$oft Free

Of course to unpack why that's a good thing, I could write an essay. Personally I try not to use any M$ software on any platform.

It is possible to escape from the borg. Do it while you can.
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    I have owned 32 handhelds in three years on the search for the best. I have had every screen and os you can think of. I don't even want to list everything I hate about M$ (my thumbs would get tired on my T600). Just take my advice and stay far away from the evil one and his empire! For the first time I have been happy with a device for more than two weeks! Praise to the 600!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Having used both platforms a lot I have always leaned towards the PPC simply because of the power and the flexibility for what I needed.

Now I'm going to back to Palm with the Treo 600 because it does what I want. I don’t really care who makes the OS as long I get a device that does what I am after.

For me its not about MS vs Palm, its about doing what I want. So who gives a rat’s *** who wrote the OS. Give a Palm user a Pocket PC and in a day they'll be pretty fully functional and same goes the other way. They are getting to be more alike than different.

I have finally decided that I won’t own another PDA without a keyboard. After years of pulling my hair out with Graffiti and the Windows flavors or character recognition, I have finally figured out that it simply doesn’t work for me.

I do think that soon enough we will essentially have an all in one device that will give us much of the power of modern notebook PC's. And with integrated devices like the Treo 600, one has to wonder if the days of the standalone PDA are numbered.
    Remember that the Palm OS was designed from the beginning for a handheld device. There was a document at Palm called "The Zen of Palm" that talked about the design philosophy used to make the device and the software simple and intuitive. The book "Piloting Palm" gives the history of the Palm handhelds and the ideas Jeff Hawkins used in making the first device. He carried around a wood mock-up of the first Pilot and pretended to use it to get an idea of how the software should work.
    PPC devices are based on an OS that was taken from the desktop and squeezed into a smaller device with all of the resultant compromises and workarounds. The interface was always pretty, but the underlying OS was kludgy and bloated. The newer versions are much improved over the first attempts, but they still suffer from the compromises required by the hardware/form factor.
    Zane
  14. AJB
    Originally posted by willp2
    For me its not about MS vs Palm, its about doing what I want. So who gives a rat’s *** who wrote the OS.
    Perhaps you misunderstand me. I'm not supporting one team vs the other here. My dislike of M$ is not because they are Micro$oft. It is because they have proven themselves, time after time, year after year to be incompetent and to "not get it". Every operating system they have ever produced is like Swiss cheese.

He who fails to learn the lessons of history is doomed to repeat it.

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    If MS is bad, it does not necessorily mean Apple, Sun, Palm, HS or whatever is any better. Business is business. You can easily judge a technology if you don't mix it with politics and religion.

IMO, both PPC and Palm and all handhelds suck - they cannot do what a laptop can; for what they can do new Sharp organizers do them better.

Treo 300/600 are good for what they can do and how elegent they do.

If HS can achieve the same thing with PPC OS, it is even better. For example, then we don't have to wait for a bluetooth card for Treo 600 and we can have it right now! Too bad, all PPC phones suck.

Whatever OS can get your job done, it is a good OS.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by AJB

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I'm not supporting one team vs the other here. My dislike of M$ is not because they are Micro$oft. It is because they have proven themselves, time after time, year after year to be incompetent and to "not get it". Every operating system they have ever produced is like Swiss cheese.

He who fails to learn the lessons of history is doomed to repeat it.

AJB
    Well that sort of sounds like supporting one team over the other. Basically writing off the PPC because of history of the company or something to that effect. I prefer to focus on what the devices do now and how they best meet my needs. But I see your point.

Regardless, we have all had different experiences. I live on PDA's since the first Palm and before that. My experiences with PPC have been largely favorable. The OS combined with the hardware is extremely powerful (for lack of a better word). I say that because I have been able to time and again do things right out of the box that I simply could not due with the Palm systems.

But I am not a typical PDA user. I am looking for something that behaves more like a computer and less like an organizer.

All that said, I think that things have really become much more even at the OS level and now the differences in packaging really make a big difference (i.e. Treo 600 vs anything running PPC)
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Fixup
    If MS is bad, it does not necessorily mean Apple, Sun, Palm, HS or whatever is any better. Business is business. You can easily judge a technology if you don't mix it with politics and religion.

IMO, both PPC and Palm and all handhelds suck - they cannot do what a laptop can; for what they can do new Sharp organizers do them better.

Treo 300/600 are good for what they can do and how elegent they do.

If HS can achieve the same thing with PPC OS, it is even better. For example, then we don't have to wait for a bluetooth card for Treo 600 and we can have it right now! Too bad, all PPC phones suck.

Whatever OS can get your job done, it is a good OS.
    I agree completely, well said.
    Come on guys...tell the truth.

Why is Palm better than PPC?

Dope Wars.

After using my IPAQ for all of two years, I just couldn't stand going w/o Dope Wars.

All kidding aside. The Treo 600 combines everything I need in one small simple package. PPC doesn't even have one waiting for FCC approval that can match the Treo 600.

MP3 player? Forget it, nothing beats an IPod.

Contact list, scheduler, etc... Palm does it all.
    Videos? Well, after dealing w/ PPC crashing and using up all memory, watching videos on my IPaq got old quick. I left the videos to the laptops. Even on the nice big Ipaq screens, my eyes started to hurt after awhile Don't get me wrong, I liked the PPC's, but all the neat features that I thought I wanted and needed....well, I used only the day I got it and maybe once here and there.

I also got tired of having a belt that rivaled Batman's, so I got rid of my Ipaq and cell phone and got the Treo 600. I looked at the Samsung I700 and Hitachi G1000. Both are bricks. They are obviously PDA first then phone.

I wanted something that gave me the best of both worlds, w/o sacrificing form and function. That led to the Treo 600.

Just my .02

Dizzy
  19. purpleX
    Originally posted by Dizzy
    [B]Come on guys...tell the truth.

Why is Palm better than PPC?

Dope Wars.

After using my IPAQ for all of two years, I just couldn't stand going w/o Dope Wars.

You've been using a device for 2 years, and you can't even type dope wars for pocket pc into google?

Here is a ten second search result
    http://dopewarsppc.sourceforge.net/

Dope wars is one of the very first games available for PPC.

All kidding aside. The Treo 600 combines everything I need in one small simple package. PPC doesn't even have one waiting for FCC approval that can match the Treo 600.
    really?

Contact list, scheduler, etc... Palm does it all.
    who doesn't these days? even a calculator and freebie phones does that too. Don't you expect more for a $500 device?

Even on the nice big Ipaq screens, my eyes started to hurt after awhile
    I am sure treo600 screen will cure your eye sight rightaway.

I wanted something that gave me the best of both worlds, w/o sacrificing form and function. That led to the Treo 600.
    right, you just said it, "Contact list, scheduler, etc... "
    you only need an organizer.

Here is a news flash, for those features, @$4-500 you got gipped.

lol
    Just to add that not all MS SMartphone's are bad.

Remeber that the US doesn't see most of the GSM handsets the rest of the world uses. The SPV E-200 from HTC is a brilliant device. It runs Smartphone 2003 and as a result has native bluetooth & MP3 support unlike the Treo. Hardware wise, the VGA camera and TFT display are both far more advanced than that of the Treo. It is smaller yet still manages to pack more features into a compact unit.

I'm not saying it is *better* (the OS doesn't support touch screen input for a start) than the Handspring, just that because the US has yet to see any decent MS Smartphones doesn't mean there arn't any.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast