1.    #1  
    Found a review of XDA II (posted yesterday). Might as well drool on this while people are waiting / thinking about the Treo 600.

Summary:
    No keyboard (sorry)
    Blue tooth + SDIO built in
    WIFI extension optional
    Antenna is hidden (optional extension)
    Built in camera
    Size:
    xda II
    Size mm (T x W x L) 19 x 69.9 x 130
    Screen: 3.5 inch, 65,536 colors.
    Release date: "before X-mas"??
    Battery life: ???

Well wasn't for lack of the keyboard this would be a nice phone, then again, it's either the keyboard or the nice screen.
    Then again, in 1-2 years Treo will have most likely match the screen resolution & bluetooth, but by then what new features will be out?

Edit:
    Found a niche chart of of Treo 600, the new Samsung ones that' are supposedly coming out, etc... this is from msmobiles.com

Edit #2:
    Ok for those that think the XDA II is too puny since it doesn't include built in WIFI AND willing to wait till at least March 2004:...

IPAQ 6000

Which includes:
    Quad-Band GSM/GPRS classe 10, Wi-Fi 802.11b, Bluetooth, 64MB di Rom e 64MB di Ram, display Transflective 3.5" 65.000 colori, Camera VGA integrata, Slot SDIO, batteria rimovibile da 1850mAh.
    from original Italian site

Who knows maybe they'll make a PocketPC based Sidekick next which seems to have the nice sized keyboard while not compromising too much size...
    Last edited by hoxbox; 10/18/2003 at 12:34 AM.
    That looks like a fantastic device! I've been keeping an eye out for that device...good competition for HS/Palm
  3. purpleX
    XDAII is going to be one of those fully loaded complete with the price tag. It's one of those expensive shiny stuff.

Bunch of pictures of XDA II
    http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ws_display.asp?filter=News%

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4066.html

Another Phone edition, this one has a smaller screen 2.8 inch QVGA. So probably the size is much smaller than actually look on picture. (no BT tho')
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c4860c6ff8b9d2
    I have been using an xda for several weeks since I tried to bounce my Treo 270 off of a tile floor and it finally died.

The package is nice, the software is very weak. Unless the software for the xda II is totaly different, I wouldn't want one. And after using a Treo 180 and Treo 270, the lack of a thumbboard is fatal.

I am desperately waiting for a chance to get a GSM Treo 600 here in SouthEast Asia.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Two powerful convergent concepts are coming together:

obviously manufacturers are looking at the Treo and are beginning to understand that keyboards are important

obviously the Treo people are seeing that they are behind technological developments in screens and cameras and and

and hopefully someone will marry the above two points quickly in a Palm operating system

the new Treo 600 keyboard showed you can place a tiny keyboard and make it useful

the jump from the Treo 600 to the Treo 700 with 320x320 screen, blue and wifi and a 3 meg camera will be sweet...and the technology will be available 7 months ago!
  6. purpleX
    The package is nice, the software is very weak. Unless the software for the xda II is totaly different, I wouldn't want one. And after using a Treo 180 and Treo 270, the lack of a thumbboard is fatal.
    XDAII is using WM 2k3 instead of PPC 2k2. The XDAs have stronger communication softwraes than treo ever can muster.

(lack of thumboard is fatal? I hope you are not a PHB. lol )

-------------
    obviously manufacturers are looking at the Treo and are beginning to understand that keyboards are important
    what manufactures? It's not obvious to me. do elaborate.

RIMM is not it. HS copied RIMM's. Hitachi is probably one, but than again who cares, they are so insignificant it's rediculous. that left... Danger? and Good technology? ...
    That looks an awful lot like a thumboard on the new Palms.
    guys,

the more i read the posts here, the more i'm starting to lose faith in the GSM t600.

there seems to be so many issues with the thing - it just starts to make it's competition (SE P900 and O2 Xda II) all the more attractive.

1) Release Date => bloody moving target - hurry the %@*~! up
    2) Rattles / funny noises from loose buttons
    3) Screen light does not turn off when on a call - wha???
    4) Screen resolution
    5) WiFi not available (O2 Xda II it's a given)
    6) No Bluetooth - what on earth??

So really the only thing that keeps me hanging (on a very thin thread) to the t600 is the thumb board. If the O2 Xda II had a keyboard, i would be gone in a heartbeat.

If the HS GSM delay for 11/29 is true, i'm pretty sure it's Xda II for me.

my 2 cents
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by gqlau

5) WiFi not available (O2 Xda II it's a given)
    [/B]
    WiFi is not included in the phone, sounds like it's going to be an addon. Then again why use WiFi when are browsing the web on your cell carrier?
  10. purpleX
    Originally posted by JDave
    That looks an awful lot like a thumboard on the new Palms.
    It's called numerical pad. It has number, you know 1, 2, 3... instead of A, B, C. Remember that kindergarten song?
    Yeah, I think am going to get an XDA II, I will sacrifice the Keyboard for BT, Way better resolution, Fonix, Way better camera and my much more.
    Of course I wouldn’t have decided to buy the XDA II if Handspring came out with the 600GSM already but oh well, good for me I guess.
    Spain will someday win the World Cup!!!
  12. purpleX
    The unlock/imported version is coming within days. Check Arne's site www.ppcw.net. Of course it will be full unsubsidized price since he is selling direct from manufacture.
    Ouch!!! $850!!!!
    Thats a lot of money but I think its worth it, well maybe 699 -750 but 850 is a lot.

Maybe if I wait a month or so the price will go down Plus ebay might have it for around 699.
    Will see.
    I woudln't trust that price. At a similar point in the Treo's release schedule it was being "sold" for a thousand bucks.
  15. purpleX
    Originally posted by muntaser7
    Ouch!!! $850!!!!
    Thats a lot of money but I think its worth it, well maybe 699 -750 but 850 is a lot.

Maybe if I wait a month or so the price will go down Plus ebay might have it for around 699.
    Will see.
    I believe that's the one sold in Dubai, with arabic localization. So far nobody has a rpice yet for english version.
    Originally posted by purpleX

I believe that's the one sold in Dubai, with arabic localization. So far nobody has a rpice yet for english version.
    The UX50 is being sold for 699.00 Plus 70 tax at frys but you can get them for as low as 510 on eBay and other online retailers so lets hope for the best.
    600 would be sweet.

On a different note, there are rumors that the data services of the XDAII will not work correctly in the America! Is that true? Can somebody please put it end to these rumors and tell me ONCE AND FOR ALL. Is this going to work in the US with no problems or am I going to suffer?? Thanks in advance
    http://www.palmone.com/us/products/h...ds/#tungsten-w

That is strange, everyone that I know that has one thinks it is a device for using your thumbs (or other fingers, if you like) to enter data. I will tell them it is only for numbers so they won't waste their time.