1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just called up Orange to discuss and upgrade to the Handspring 600, and for some reason they were trying to persuade me to hold off for the Ericsson P900.

I have just had a look on the net and seems quite nice, but I had sort of decided on the Handspring.

Can people point out the major (and minor) differences?

Cheers.
    It doesn't have a keyboard, for one thing. It's also not on the market yet.

I don't see anything about it that makes me want it as much as a Treo 600. I guess if you wanted a better camera, it has 1.3 megapixels instead of .3 ... and it has a bigger screen with higher resolution. But those things don't appeal to me enough to balance the keyboard, much less the fact that I already have a T600 in my hand and am very happy with it, as compared with twiddling my thumbs waiting for this phone to reach the market and hoping I'll like it.
  3.    #3  
    well, the only reason i asked was because the guy at Orange said that the P900 was released next week - is that not true?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Well, it have been lots of news about the release of P900 in other forum. However, none of them are accurate. If the shop owner told you that P900 will be released next week, I think this is more trustworthy, bcos he must have comfirmed the stock before he tell his customers.

If compare the Treo 600 and P900 - surely P900 is more higher end. Because of the screen resolution, bluetooth and also support.

If you are the loyal PALM OS user, surely Treo 600 is the best in the market now. But, if you were like to try the Symbian OS, you should go for P900.

I was a loyal PALM OS users for many year since Palm Pilot time. And I have switched over to Symbian 5 months ago - for P800. If Treo 600 would have been released few months ago, I surely go for it because of the PALM OS. Having said that, I have no pain at all to switch from PALM OS, because I sync my data with Microsoft Outlook. Now, I can just sync my data to my new P800 without any problem. The only shortfall is, I have lost few PALM OS programs which I used the most.
    Palm III -> Revo -> Palm V -> Clie 760 -> Clie T650C -> SE P800 -> Treo 600 -> Clie UX50 -> The Dark Side -> Treo 650 -> Nokia E61 -> Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    damn, undecided!

will the P900 have the facility to install software such as ICQ, SSH clients etc.?

To be honest cost is not a great, great issue. As long as I get something that will do what I need and last at least 12 months, I dont care.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Yes, P900 have ICQ, IM and Telnet client. I am using Yahoo Messenger and a Telnet Client. Do more study ....

Are you happy with PALM OS? What Phone and PDA are you using now? Lets discuss....
    Palm III -> Revo -> Palm V -> Clie 760 -> Clie T650C -> SE P800 -> Treo 600 -> Clie UX50 -> The Dark Side -> Treo 650 -> Nokia E61 -> Treo 680
  7.    #7  
    I currently use a Ericsson T68i, and only use it to connect to the internet via bluetooth and my laptop.

I have never used a Palm powered device, but everything I have seen and read is good.

I find the T68i too "fiddly" to do anything like email, surf the net etc.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    since you are the ericsson user, then you should get P900. You will love it!!!! Because I am using P800. Lovely!
    The P900 will own. Yea, this is coming from a P800 user.
    I know this thread will get moved - but since you are a P800 user, is there VPN capability with it?
  11.    #11  
    I dont think the thread should be moved.

To be honest, I was hoping for more people to say to stick with the Treo. Until this afternoon I was about to order it But...got last minute nerves as usual!

Any more arguments for and against?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I dont think P800 can do VPN. I dont think TREO can do VPN too!
    There are software solutions for VPN on the treo - or so I've read - I haven't used them on my former 270 when it WAS functional -
    From what I have read, I don't the P900 is the way to go. It is not a next generation upgrade. Rather it is a modest improvement to the current generation with a new name to help customers perceive that Sony Ericcsen is keeping pace with the Treo 600. The form factor is no smaller than the present unit which makes the Treo 600 smaller, not to mention the advantages of the keyboard and the superior high level integration. I think you got it right the first time, from the point of view of ease of use, communication, and scale, its Treo 600.