Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Like everyone else, I can't wait to see and feel a t600!! But, hv you seen the latest pics and sneak preview of the SE P900? In my opinion, it's the closest comparison to the 600. The specs are pretty close (slightly bulkier, but less width than the 600). But the killer apps will be BT AND a hi-res screen.......... Quite a bit of refinement as a smartphone from its predecessor - the P800. Read on and see what you think? Looks like the 900 will really give the 600 a go for the money!

    http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-p900-en.shtml

  2. #2  
    The P900 is nice...but have you seen the NEC e808y ? I mentioned it previously in this thread and thought it might be even better than the Treo600...almost a clone IMO...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by bhleong
    Like everyone else, I can't wait to see and feel a t600!! But, hv you seen the latest pics and sneak preview of the SE P900? In my opinion, it's the closest comparison to the 600. The specs are pretty close (slightly bulkier, but less width than the 600). But the killer apps will be BT AND a hi-res screen.......... Quite a bit of refinement as a smartphone from its predecessor - the P800. Read on and see what you think? Looks like the 900 will really give the 600 a go for the money!

    http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-p900-en.shtml

    Perhaps. Of course BT and hi-res are features, not apps, they trade off against battery life. The 900 does not use Palm OS so switching would involve all new software and, perhaps, the loss of some apps. No qwerty kb. Memory stick rather than SDIO. For my money, it is not a comparable product.
  4. #4  
    SE P900 doesn't have a thumbboard which would make it a non-starter for a lot of the people on this board. I think there any number of PalmOS phones without keyboards with impressive specs.
  5. #5  
    Is it just me, or do others find most of these "Treo 600 killer" posts to be missing the point? Every time I read one of these threads hoping to learn about a T600-like competitor, it always turns out to be an "apples to oranges" comparison.

    There appear to be a number of generally agreed upon features that characterize the T600 and that would constitute the "class" that it and any competitors would fall into. I think the list below more or less reflects these features. Many disagree that all of these features are necessary or desirable, but that's a different argument -- for those of us looking for a "T600 class" phone these are the features that we want.

    Seems to me that a device posted "T600 killer" should be in the same class as the T600, and therefore it should contain these features. We all know that there are lots of phones out there with tons of kool features (gaming, multimedia, fashion, ...), but the purpose of having a T600 board is supposed to be to focus on T600-like phones and filter out some of the "noise". So if you want to post phones like the P900 as "here's another nice phone", fine, but posting it as a T600 class competitor is off-base.


    Treo 600 "Class" Features

    - Thumboard (hello!!)
    - O/S supporting 3rd party apps (Palm, PPC, Java, etc)
    - Phone form factor
    - GSM/CDMA Voice
    - Digital Internet/Web access
    - Color screen
    - Hardware Expandability (SDIO, CF, etc)
    Last edited by markboy08; 10/06/2003 at 03:58 AM.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by markboy08
    Is it just me, or do others find most of these "Treo 600 killer" posts to be missing the point?

    Treo 600 "Class" Features

    - Thumboard (hello!!)
    - O/S supporting 3rd party apps (Palm, PPC, Java, etc)
    - Phone form factor
    - Internet/Web client
    - Color screen
    - Hardware Expandability (SDIO, CF, etc)
    I would narrow it even further to Palm OS. It is not simply 3rd party apps that I am interested in but that set of apps and interfaces that I have invested so much in money, configuring, and mastering. I am dragging the dinosaur into the 21st century.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by whmurray


    I would narrow it even further to Palm OS. It is not simply 3rd party apps that I am interested in but that set of apps and interfaces that I have invested so much in money, configuring, and mastering. I am dragging the dinosaur into the 21st century.
    I forgot one, digital data (CDMA or GSM. For example, the Kyocera 7135 is not on the list because it connects to the internet via an analog modem.
  8. #8  
    The P900 is definitely a nice phone, but it would not even replace my 270 due to:

    Palm OS
    Thumboard
    General usability and one-handed operation


    Still does not compare to Treo 600:

    Palm OS
    Thumboard
    Quad band
    SDIO
    5 way navigation , MUCH better one-handed operation
    Better battery life
    32 MB RAM vs only 16 in P900.


    However, for those who don't know better. it's probably the best tri-band smartphone around that's going to be in most stores.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by Cyril
    The P900 is definitely a nice phone, but it would not even replace my 270 due to:

    Palm OS
    Thumboard
    General usability and one-handed operation


    Still does not compare to Treo 600:

    Palm OS
    Thumboard
    Quad band
    SDIO
    5 way navigation , MUCH better one-handed operation
    Better battery life
    32 MB RAM vs only 16 in P900.


    However, for those who don't know better. it's probably the best tri-band smartphone around that's going to be in most stores.
    In short, the Treo 600 has no competition. That is why we are all sitting around here and counting down the minutes until we can order one.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by whmurray


    In short, the Treo 600 has no competition. That is why we are all sitting around here and counting down the minutes until we can order one.
    OK guys, I hear what you're saying. Anyhow, the point I was making is that there's bound to be some sort of comparison between the two by the market, not necessarily by treo fans.
  11. njchris's Avatar
    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    #11  
    Isn't a phone that supports Java apps limiting? How can someone get Java apps that actually work WITH the OS? How can they tie a Java app into the OS of the phone to do extra things (like many of the apps on the 300?)

    I agree this is apples to oranges...
  12. #12  
    You guys really need to do some research before dismissing a product. I realise that this is a Treo board, but still...

    Of course the Treo 600 and SE P800/P900 can be compared to each other! They are both "Smartphones"/"PDA-phones"/"converged devices"/"whatever" running on a real open OS. The Treo is running Palm OS while the P800/P900 is running Symbian (formerly known as EPOC) - which gives you all the 3'rd party applications you could desire (almost). It's NOT like the P800/P900 is limited to simple Java apps, with Symbian you get real quality apps written in Symbian's c++.

    Try this site for more information about the P800 and Symbian/UIQ: http://www.my-symbian.com/main/index4.php?cat=4

    The main difference between the Treo 600 and the SE P900 is thumboard vs. handwriting recognition.

    As a P800 user for almost a year, I can tell you that it is very capable as both a phone and a PDA. I was considering the Treo 600 because of the thumboard, but after browsing the forum for a while I've come to understand that the only thing it's got going for itself is the thumboard, and nothing else. My P800 or future P900 appears to be superior in almost all other areas.
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by whmurray
    I forgot one, digital data (CDMA or GSM. For example, the Kyocera 7135 is not on the list because it connects to the internet via an analog modem.
    No, it connects to the internet via digital (ExpressNet). It also happens to have analog voice capability (tri-band).
  14. #14  
    I have no clue why no one has mentioned the Samsung SGH-i500 palm os smartphone.

    The T600 has no competetion my ****, other than not having a keyboard, I have no clue what else the T600 might have thats better than the SGH-i500.

    The only disappointing thing about the SGH is its slow release.

    Yoyo
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole

Posting Permissions