Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    T608 Out Sometime Next week

ok i know everyone is tired of T608 threads, BUT, i just recieved info which will make Hat and about 1/100 of this forum happy:

T608 release date: Next week (concrete date NOT really set yet...BUT its official)
    Price Point: $199.99
    Avaliblity: Select channels (im thinkin telesales, telematics)

now...I am NOT SPECULATING...this is confirmed info...

Hat...bring out the champagne and the Bicardi silver, and you and I will toast this new phone, and the END of all speculation, flaming...stupidity...

--
    Homer:"We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to!"
    Lisa:"I'll start with RadioShack!" - Catch me working in Wireless at Best Buy
    My SPCS plan: 750 peak, 2000 n/w, Unlimited Vision, LD, Voice Command, Free Sprint 2 Sprint....all for $30!

Last edited by deval on 10-01-2003 at 05:21 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------

Connect that to the T3 and have the best of BOTH worlds!
    OK, I'll bite whats so great about the T608 that you gotta have it, beides BT?
    mgauss has posted in another thread that he has decided the Treo 600 is inadequate in every way to a Tungsten T3 and a sony Ericsson T608. He is ecstatic because he will get his "ideal" set up sooner then he had anticipated.

I had been wanting to purchase the T608 when it was announced back in December 2002/January 2003 with availability in June 2003. SE went back and forth over whether they wanted to support CDMA handsets, once even announcing that they would never support CDMA handsets cause it was worthless, and now they have finally produced one months behind their announced release date.

There was quite a bit of speculation in June about whether or not the handset would ever be produced.

Its still two devices without a means of quick text entry so I'm not really interested at this time. I think the Treo will suit my needs better and will cause me to carry significantly less crap.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    OK, I'll bite whats so great about the T608 that you gotta have it, beides BT?
    The T608 is a small sexy 3 ouncer phone that has Bluetooth. That means that instead of a Treo 600 with a small screen and limited this and that you can get a Palm T3 with a 320 x 480 screen, voice recorder, and many other features the Treo 900 will have 3 years from now, today. Put the phone in your pocket and browse the net, get email on your glorious 320 x 480 screen like a mogul and the T3 will be connected just like the Treo 600 to the net.
    I was excited about this phone back in the day, but after waiting endlessly, I went with a Treo 300. I'm very happy with it. For those who want a separate phone and PDA, enjoy - IF it actually reaches the market before. I've seen "guaranteed", "confirmed" info about this phone before, numerous times.

Now that I am used to thumbboards, by the way, if I got a 608, I'd pair it with something with a thumbboard and BT (not an easy combo to find). I was prepared to carry PDA + phone + snap-on thumbboard and/or folding keyboard. I'm glad that I don't have to, although I am giving up some of the power and screen size.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by wombat2
    I was excited about this phone back in the day, but after waiting endlessly, I went with a Treo 300. I'm very happy with it. For those who want a separate phone and PDA, enjoy - IF it actually reaches the market before. I've seen "guaranteed", "confirmed" info about this phone before, numerous times.

Now that I am used to thumbboards, by the way, if I got a 608, I'd pair it with something with a thumbboard and BT (not an easy combo to find). I was prepared to carry PDA + phone + snap-on thumbboard and/or folding keyboard. I'm glad that I don't have to, although I am giving up some of the power and screen size.
    I remember I had so many thumboards for my Palm V. You know I never typed so much on my Palm that I needed them.
    The T608 is a CDMA T68i with a different shell. I've had that sexy little BT phone for almost two years now. Slooooow processor, kiddie interface, marginal reception, and so dated.

I love the T3 as well, and if you could have all of its functionality in the Treo 600, it would be incredible. However, two devices and no keyboard is not my idea of a coverged killer communications device. Your solution is from two years ago. I think the Treo is the best bridge to the palmone T7 or whatever they call their next device.

I think this is a rush to disappointment.
    Doug
    I use my Treo for e-mail and AOL IM. Those things can be done pretty painlessly with a thumbboard. They are really annoying with graffiti/software keyboard.

I will say, you've got me thinking about this. I just looked up T3 prices on ebay. But then, I was thinking - what if Bluetooth is flaky? What if the thumbboard covers the five-way buttons or some important input plug such as the headphone jack? Will I have to charge not one but two batteries (phone and PDA) every time I get in my car?

I do love the Tungsten form factor. I've had a Tungsten T and also a Tungsten C. Other than landscape mode, if you put the TC's screen, processor and memory inside a TT, you get something similar to a T3.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by fmertz
    The T608 is a CDMA T68i with a different shell. I've had that sexy little BT phone for almost two years now. Slooooow processor, kiddie interface, marginal reception, and so dated.

I love the T3 as well, and if you could have all of its functionality in the Treo 600, it would be incredible. However, two devices and no keyboard is not my idea of a coverged killer communications device. Your solution is from two years ago. I think the Treo is the best bridge to the palmone T7 or whatever they call their next device.

I think this is a rush to disappointment.
    There is no way I'm gonna blow $ 600 for a 1999 technology of a 160x160 2 " screen.

Too much has happened in the last two years! The T3 is irresistible! 320x 480 screen! The compromises the Treo 600 asks for are too much!

The sexiness of a T608 with the gloriousness of the T3 make it a great combo.

Unless you are a cabbie. Then get a Treo 600.
    Its still a two device combination. I also find the new button/dpad layout to be less then optimal. I much prefer the layout of the TT and T2.

IMO the SE phone is ugly at best.

T3 would have excited me a year ago but I'm ready for something more and the T3 just doesn't cut it for me. I would like a nice big 320x240 screen but at least for me its not as important as being able to compose a reasonably long e-mail without having to carry around a third piece of equipment.

There is no way I'm gonna blow $ 600 for a 1999 technology of a 160x160 2 " screen.
    its not going to be $600.00 for the Treo 600 and I would much rather have extended talk time then a 320x320 screen.
    Before I had a keypad, I didn't think I needed one. I thought i could get by with graffiti and a stylus. After having a keypad, I could never go back to anything else.
    I finally played with a G1000 to see the keyapd vs stylus. Keypad is definitely worth it. No G1000 thank you but a T600 is going to be quicker and easier.
    I have also heard that the t608 is finally getting released. Which means that I will have to have 2 phones on my plan.. *sigh* so much $$$
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Is there any more recent word on the long-rumored Sprint t608 release?
    Originally posted by DaveTreo300600
    Just bought one not one hour ago from 1-866-727-2886. It is supposed to arrive UPS Red tommorow. All in all: $224.06.

The salesrep say that I can have a plan with unlimited data and still confirmed this after I pressed her. Mostly likely I will find out, once I get the phone and verify my data service plan, that I have a 3MB cap (which is ok actually, I don't plan to go nuts - just update my weblog every now and again) but that has yet to be seen. Just glad to have a phone with Bluetooth coming my way.

I tried out the Treo 600 at the Sprint Store the other day and it didn't really grab me. I'd much rather keep my Palm 505 and connect that to the Intenet. One device that does it all might not be better than two that do very specific things.

mb
    Originally posted by DaveTreo300600
    Checkout Sprintusers and HowardForums. There's tons of threads currently about people who have ordered the phone etc.

As far as the T608, I also was very enamored with this phone...13 months ago when it was initially revealed! But over a year later, the features of the phone are now a bit dated when compared to other SE phones like the T610 and upcoming T630 etc (i.e. no camera, poor screen, no sms etc). The only real gangbuster feature here is BT, and if you really wanted a two device combo via BT, you could have done so with a GSM provider long ago. Thus, there's nothing dramatically bold or new here besides the fact that you can now use a BT handset on a CDMA provider like Sprint. But even this is tenuous considering the 3 MB data limit Sprint is supposedly establishing for $15/month. Of course, there is speculation that customers with existing unlimited vision plans will be able to simply switch to the T608, but I'm unwilling at this point to be a guinea pig in this senario...

In any case, I must admit there was a certain urge to splurge on this phone, simply b/c I had anticipated it's release for sooo long before I had decided to upgrade to the Treo600. But now that I have a Treo600, I realize that I really want one device not two. Furthermore, I think what I really want is BT in the TREO itself, not some other device....

P.S. Wifi would be nice too...but I already went through that rant in another thread.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I just ordered my T608 today for $199 and there is a $100 rebate...so it's $99. Will be here in next 2 days. Unlimited Vision for $15/mo. Still have and love my original Tungsten T. To me, best PDA ever (except maybe T|T2). I never operate the slider, not even to reset. For that reason only, I dont want the T3. I hate the slider but I like T1 and T2 compact size

I really wanted to buy the Treo 600. But I decided against it for the following reasons:

1. A future model will have BT. The PCB was already designed for the BT chipset, they just have to populate it and update the firmware.
    2. I will wait for a better camera and a better screen.
    3. Buttons are just too small for me to use as a phone. Even with voice command, there are many numbers I dial that are not in my phone directory. I have large hands.
    4. I already have a high powered PDA that I do not mind carrying...cant be on the phone and use the pda pressed up against your face.
    5. I would just die if I dropped that $600 PDA. I have absolutely abused my Samsung N200 but I only paid $50 for it after rebates and could get a replacement for dirt. Try getting a replacement Treo for cheap.

I like the Treo, but for the next 6-12 months, I will use the Tungsten T/T608/BT headset and BT PC combo. Maybe later in the year
    Oh yeah, I found a SE MCA-25 attachable/detachable camera for the T608 for $39.