Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I refuse to live in a 160 x 160 world. I will splurge and relish my T3's 320 x 480 monster screen.

A man needs space to think!

When the T608 comes out I will peck at the phone on the T3 and the T608 will dial. I will surf websites and SEE what is going on.

My lists and notes will be usable.

You know I find that I travel less, and when I travel I'm busy. Yes, from time to time I'll set up and browse and do stuff on the road.

I was also tired of putting the whole PC on my face and looking like an ***** I mean super nerd.

With the T608 I'll look girl friendly and the T3 will be plenty fun to show the girls movies.

What, you gonna run movies on a 2"x2" 160x160? You might as well carry printed pics of your family.

The Treo 300 was just genius. The Treo 600 was a compromise of mistakes made 2 years ago. A worthless camera. No recorder.

I'm sure I'll get some flack here.

I just hope the T608 makes it to Sprint or I'll be frustrated. Worse comes to worse I'll keep the Treo 300 and live in the T3.

You know, the T3 is a proud existence. A man could get used to that real estate in a sexy 5.5 Oz package.

Here we go...
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    eBay has it for $ 340. $349 at web stores.
    I will be carrying 1 gadget in my pocket. You will be carrying 2 in yours.

I will have a keyboard. You will not.

I'm happy.
    I would also consider this 2-device option, but haven't seen anything that makes me think the T608 will ever be released. Has anyone else seen anything?

Geoffrey
    One more thing, if being able to watch movies on your palm is important to you, then I'm not sure why you are looking at the Treo 600 in the first place.

With its compact form factor, which is one of the main attractions, the Treo 600 is just not designed for playing movies.

2 different devices. T3 data centric (looks awesome enough to actually get!). Treo 600 phone centric data (definite buy - getting 3 for my fam asap)
    The T3 and T608 is an appealing combination but there are some substantial differences between that solution and the Treo 600 ...

- Bluetooth does not work as well as advertised. Expect triple or quadruple the number of dropped connections you experience on a PDA/phone device.
    - You'll have two items in your pocket instead of one.
    - You won't have a keyboard.

On the positive side,

- You'll have higher technological specs in your PDA - much bigger screen, faster processor, more RAM.
    - Web pages and movies will display better (but what movies do you want to watch on a PDA, anyway?). Actually, everything will display better.
    - Your phone will look like a normal phone during routine use.

I have owned a TT, TC and iPAQ 5455. The Treo 300 that I currently use has the worst screen of any PDA I have ever owned. The others were either 240x320 or 320x320.

Do I care? No, not really, because the form factor takes it from the realm of something I have to make an effort to use, to something that is a natural part of my life. I also find that integrated thumbboards make devices far more useful for me. I can do approximately 25 wpm inputting text on a thumbboard, vs. maybe 6-8 wpm via Graffiti or the software keyboard. And, I much prefer using an integrated device to relying on Bluetooth.

And, on top of all this, the elephant in the living room ...

The T608 is vaporware until further notice. I made several PDA buying choices based on the expectation that the 608 would hit the market as early as Jan. 2003, or at LEAST by May/June 2003. I bought the Treo 300 when I decided I couldn't wait any longer, and now, I wish I'd gone with the Treo to begin with even if the 608 was on the market.
    -

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    the T608 is CHEAPY feeling. I had the chance to play with one couple of months ago. It feels like a little plastic toy. Very non Sony like.
    And on top of it all, you're banking on a CDMA phone with an internal antenna. Though the T608 supposed has acceptable RF, I'm going to bank on that being a big letdown for the Pro-T608ers out there.

While I wouldn't mind having one, I have a feeling that the slightly more touchy aspects of CDMA transmissions are going to fail miserably with an internal antenna. That could be why I cannot even recall another CDMA phone with an internal antenna (not saying there isn't one, just saying I cant' remember a good one )
    I want a Treo 600!!!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by RAF2
    And on top of it all, you're banking on a CDMA phone with an internal antenna. Though the T608 supposed has acceptable RF, I'm going to bank on that being a big letdown for the Pro-T608ers out there.

While I wouldn't mind having one, I have a feeling that the slightly more touchy aspects of CDMA transmissions are going to fail miserably with an internal antenna. That could be why I cannot even recall another CDMA phone with an internal antenna (not saying there isn't one, just saying I cant' remember a good one )
    I gotta tell you, my PCS Sprint phone has much better reception in Miami than the AT&T phones, both digital and GSM. I do not think that Sprint has a reception problem, specially in Miami.
    Originally posted by mgauss

I gotta tell you, my PCS Sprint phone has much better reception in Miami than the AT&T phones, both digital and GSM. I do not think that Sprint has a reception problem, specially in Miami.
    IMHO, I think spcs has the best coverage in south florida, I'm from Orlando, and there are patchy spots, but down here, solid.

There's not that much area to cover, from swamp to surf

Back to topic..
    I really would love to get a T3, but after the 600. The point is to not have 2 things. I wont always bring my palm with me, no matter how awesome it is. But I bring my phone everywhere, I'm always on it. Basically this is the best phone option available, for me. I'm not looking for a pda right now, hell even a phone, but this is just a gotta-have.
    Last edited by nmotion; 10/03/2003 at 03:33 AM.
    All I can say is that after reviewing the Treo 600 in person, there is NOTHING I have seen that is better in terms of form and function. In fact, I pity all other products. Good luck with your decision!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    I am definitely someone who prefers the idea of a converged device, but I'm dreading continuing to read spreadsheets and text documents on a 160x160 screen, especially since the 600's screen is a wee bit smaller than the 300's.

Decisions, decisions. I have to agree that the T608 is likely vaporware. Pity no other bluetooth CDMA phones appear to be on the horizon.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by mgauss
    I was also tired of putting the whole PC on my face and looking like an ***** I mean super nerd.

With the T608 I'll look girl friendly and the T3 will be plenty fun to show the girls movies.

What, you gonna run movies on a 2"x2" 160x160? You might as well carry printed pics of your family.
    So you don't want to look like a nerd to girls, but you want to show them movies on a PDA?!?!? That in itself would probably scream out nerd to a girl. Maybe you should try to impress women and not girls.

I think that if you are looking a phone and PDA to impress people, then the Treo 600 is probably not for you. It is a tool, not a toy... OK it more of a tool than a toy (I know part of me wants it for the toy factor). I want to start carrying a PDA again, but I know that I will only carry a Phone all the time, and I would end up not carrying a separate PDA. That combined with the fact that I want the thumboard to quickly respond to e-mails makes the 600 perfect.
    2 thoughts.

1) We are all going to grow a second head from all of our "devices".

2) Good thread!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Originally posted by csherman
    2 thoughts.

1) We are all going to grow a second head from all of our "devices".

2) Good thread!

Hey are you an SU Orangemen fan that looks like the orange.

Good thread.
    But the slider is not all its cracked up to be. I bought the TT and it was heavy. I have owned: Vx, M505, TT, NX60, I700 and no have Ipaq 1945 while waiting for the T600. The I1945 has was I need, nice bright hires screen, small yet powerful, and I don't need an app to move the apps to my card.

But its not Palm and that looks to be the best coverged device. I agree with others that if you plan on taking two devices you will get bored quickly especially in the summer when you don't want to carry the purse everywhere you go. The T600 is a multipurpose, multifunction device. The two device combo just doesn't do it well.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    2 different devices. T3 data centric (looks awesome enough to actually get!). Treo 600 phone centric data (definite buy - getting 3 for my fam asap)
    Lucky family. Care to adopt a cash-poor techno-geek?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by lnichols

So you don't want to look like a nerd to girls, but you want to show them movies on a PDA?!?!? That in itself would probably scream out nerd to a girl. Maybe you should try to impress women and not girls.

I think that if you are looking a phone and PDA to impress people, then the Treo 600 is probably not for you. It is a tool, not a toy... OK it more of a tool than a toy (I know part of me wants it for the toy factor). I want to start carrying a PDA again, but I know that I will only carry a Phone all the time, and I would end up not carrying a separate PDA. That combined with the fact that I want the thumboard to quickly respond to e-mails makes the 600 perfect.
    I'm married and I'm 49. I'm looking to show it to 35 year olds.

I love my Treo 300. But what is interesting is that the 600, with the smaller screen and the smaller keyboard reminds me of the swiss armay knife...does everything poorly.

Though I love my 300 I am ready to live. I want the features of the T3.

WHEN I got my 300 the sacrifice compared to what was out there was not that much. That was over a year ago.

But in the meantime other Palms have moved WAY forward. Incredible 320 x 480 crisp screens, voice recorder, fonts, and input programs that speed up things.

NOW the sacrifice is too much. Yes if I was in my car 10 hours a day a 600 is needed. But now I do not travel so compulsively, so a little elegance is needed.

The T608 is coming from Sprint in October now, and I gotta tell you women are not stupid. They look at a little 320 x 480 mini movie and saw wow. No way with the 160x160 2" 600 screen they say wow.

Part of the fun is to splurge. If you are gonna carry a 5.5 Oz T3 plus a 3 Oz phone its OK.

You'll see...when you get the 600 in your hands REALLY the only new thing will be the battery improvement. No life. No glitz.

I went with the T3's AMAZING screen and the sexy T 608.
    It sounds like you've made up your mind. Enjoy the T3! And when/if it hits the market, enjoy the 608.

I do honestly wonder what movies you're going to show to women, and why it's so important how these women react to movies on your PDA.

But, you're certainly correct that the T3 is a higher-spec PDA than the Treo is. I probably would have gone that route (albeit with a TT or T2) back in March if the 608 had come out on time. I'm glad now that I didn't, but it's a matter of taste.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast