Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by wombat2
    It sounds like you've made up your mind. Enjoy the T3! And when/if it hits the market, enjoy the 608.

I do honestly wonder what movies you're going to show to women, and why it's so important how these women react to movies on your PDA.

But, you're certainly correct that the T3 is a higher-spec PDA than the Treo is. I probably would have gone that route (albeit with a TT or T2) back in March if the 608 had come out on time. I'm glad now that I didn't, but it's a matter of taste.

You know what this really became is this question: if you travel obsesively, if you are always from cab to cab and from plane to plane and you are 100% on the road then yes, the Treo 600 is it.

But if you travel half time and want to enjoy the perks of two devices, a demure sexy little phone and a glorious screen (imagine putting YOUR product's ad on the T3 screen and showing it to potential customers)...it really is a conversation piece. Your'e not gonna hand over your 600 to a customer and say check out this screen info...he'll squint and politely turn it back and say well its hard to read. On the T3 he'll say wow.
    That's part of it. And, I have to say, if the 608 REALLY comes out next week, I might be tempted to reconsider my plans and go back to the separate device concept. However, I'd have to carry three devices instead of two (phone, PDA, snap-on thumbboard), and I'd have to just hope that Bluetooth works reliably without flaky dropped connections.

Both the Treo 600 and the T3/608 combo seem extremely appealing. Too bad neither is actually on the market yet.
    Originally posted by PalmMD

Hey are you an SU Orangemen fan that looks like the orange.

Good thread.
    But the slider is not all its cracked up to be. I bought the TT and it was heavy. I have owned: Vx, M505, TT, NX60, I700 and no have Ipaq 1945 while waiting for the T600. The I1945 has was I need, nice bright hires screen, small yet powerful, and I don't need an app to move the apps to my card.

But its not Palm and that looks to be the best coverged device. I agree with others that if you plan on taking two devices you will get bored quickly especially in the summer when you don't want to carry the purse everywhere you go. The T600 is a multipurpose, multifunction device. The two device combo just doesn't do it well.
    Yes I am -- a huge SU fan!! In fact, if I had to choose between my beloved Orangemen and the Treo 600.... Ughhhhhhh!!!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    If you need a phone to lure a potential partner... well.. the word "sad" comes to mind.

I'm curious tho... will the PDA show a caller-id picture (like how treoPictureCallerID is on the 300)? Will it even know the phone is ringing? What about using an Instant message program, will the phone communicate to the device every time it receives something? What about SMS type msgs, phone or pda receives it?

Can you dial from the PDA? Does it only work with DATA? So if you are using the PDA and the phone rings, you HAVE to pick up the phone to talk, right?

I guess I just like the convenience of a converged device. Too much fumbling for my tastes, plus I could care less if people like my phone. I will get it for *ME*, not for anyone else.
    Originally posted by wombat2
    I can do approximately 25 wpm inputting text on a thumbboard, vs. maybe 6-8 wpm via Graffiti or the software keyboard.
    You're about to be bounced back to the 6-8 maybe 10-12 wpm on the new treo. It was designed to be used one handed and with one thumb. Between typos (Yes there will be more than on the 300) and the fatigue your wpm will drop significatly. That's my biggest dissapointment. I have a Kyo 6035 and I picked up a Treo at my work and I was flying. Like you I probably could pump out 25 wpm but unfortunately the 600 is designed to look more phone like and made sacrifices.

I too am thinking of the T3 and a BT phone. I wanted one device but I think the screen will be to small and pixelated for ebooks, webpages and spreadsheets. Maybe I'm wrong but I have a feeling I'm not. The weight f the T3 is lighter than the 600 and phones are about 3-4 ounces so I could get away with the same weight as my Kyo spread out in different pockets.

BTW, to njchris, yes you can dial from the pda and SMS and do everything else but I don't know if you will have picture id but you CAN sync contacts to most BT phones and many have picture id on the phones themselves. So no big whoop there.

Also to whomever said there are numerous problems with BT, most people who get it working do NOT have problems with their connections dropping. This is on GSM but everyone I've talked to about it says they love it. They can even have coworkers browsing the Internet from their phone on their hip.

Just food for thought, I'm torn, leaning toward the T3 but might come back to the 600, we'll see.
    Last edited by petway56; 10/03/2003 at 01:41 PM.
    Interesting, I just found this in a search on Google news.

Sony Ericsson T608 to be Released Monday
    Friday, October 03, 2003
    otis80085
    From the Mobile Phone Dept.

Several sources in a SprintUsers.com Forum have stated that the SonyEricsson T608 will DEFINITELY be released by Sprint PCS on Monday (10/6).

This is great news for all those who have been waiting for a CDMA phone with Bluetooth capabilities. iSync here we come!

From here.

Take it with a grain of salt of course.
    I was considering t608 + pda but decided I didn't want to be stuck with two devices, given that if I really want to, down the road I can get a bt sd card for the 600 and a full-sized handheld and have the option of carry a second device. I figure by next summer midpriced ppc's will have 480x320 (maybe 640x480?) 4" screens; we might even see projection keyboards by then.

Note that I differentiate between pda and handheld - the treo to me is a great pda, but a mediocre handheld computer.

My 2c,

Mark
    I will go with the Treo 600 and possibly add a RCA Lyra 20GB RD2780 Audio/Video Jukebox (if ever available) if I want to store massive music and video. With 20 gigs of space, I can carry quite a few Divx movies, ReplayTV shows or things along those lines.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    I will go with the Treo 600 and possibly add a RCA Lyra 20GB RD2780 Audio/Video Jukebox (if ever available) if I want to store massive music and video. With 20 gigs of space, I can carry quite a few Divx movies, ReplayTV shows or things along those lines.
    That Lyra does look sweet. I couldn't tell if it displayed video on the whole screen or just a section of it as it looked in pictures I saw. I would imagine it would do the whole screen. It looks sweet either way.
    The T608 is definitely coming out. I ran into my good friend the 7up "dnl" leperachaun and he was already enjoying the heck out of his. Said it was the best phone he'd had since he bought that TI phone people were talking about.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Great thread. I am thinking the same thing.

I figure that I will have both the T600 and 608+PDA, the question is which one first. After 6 months I will get bored and make a change.

The T3 is almost too awesome to pass up. Plus I can get a handsfree solution so whenever I am in the car I am connected without touching a thing. Sweet!

-rob
    If the T608 does come out next week, I have to wonder what Sprint's rules regarding using it as a BT modem with a PDA are. Anyone have any thoughts or insight?

Geoffrey
    What's he like so much about it? I'm curious.

I gave serious thought this afternoon to going with the 608/T3 combo (or some other BT PDA). I tentatively decided to stick with the Treo 600. I may change my mind if the 608 beats the 600 to the market and/or I start hearing great things about the 608 and disappointing things about the 600.

Why I considered the change in direction:

- Bigger screen, higher resolution
    - Higher overall specs
    - Cosmetics of a phone that's just a phone
    - Overall positive feelings about the Tungsten line (I used to own a TT and then a TC)

Why I tentatively decided to stay with the Treo:

- One thing to carry instead of two or three (including a thumbboard)
    - Tighter integration of phone functions with PDA functions - you can't tell me that a wireless signal is as reliable or stable as a hardwired connection
    - Overall great user experience with the Treo 300, except for the device's size and lack of expansion, which the 600 addresses

I plan to use the Treo for these things:

- Phone service, of course. This is my workhorse phone. I do not have a land line.
    - E-mail, sending as well as receiving.
    - AOL Instant Messenger.
    - Address book, calendar.
    - Other PalmOS apps on occassion, although I don't consider myself a PDA power user except as noted above.
    - mp3 player, sort of a low-capacity iPod. I will buy a 512 MB SD card and load it with mp3s ... I have modular m3 folders of several hundred megs and will just delete and replace them from time to time to keep the selection fresh. I'll carry stereo headphones in my pocket (they fold up in their case to about half the size of a cassette tape) and the Treo on a belt clip.

I already use the 300 for most of those things, but the new one will be better as a phone, I think, and will allow the mp3 use. I currently use a Creative Jukebox 3 that's about the size of a pickup truck. This way, I can leave that in the car or house, and use the Treo for more casual everyday stuff like reading at the coffee shop.

Things that might make me rethink my decision:

- Lots of complaints about the Treo keyboard
    - Lots of praise for the 608/Tungsten Bluetooth combo
    - Any other really bad stuff about the Treo that I hear before plunking down my money
    Wombat2 I am pretty close in needs as you. I want to be able to carry all the info in one package. The I700 was pretty good and was solid, but the lack of keyboard and its size/weight kind of put me down. I have a nice light weight Ipaq 1945 wi/ BT so I can take that anywhere and not notice the weight with my T600. Pop in BT card and I have my hires quality screen and PIE with security.
    i personally can't see two devices and the needed dependence on each to work,i had two with the palm i705 and motor. v60. i much prefer the 1.

i need to have push e mail, call nag with treo alert, and prefer to avoid the frumpy look. i don't carry change in my pockets, i'm sure not going back to two devices. i also prefer not to gobble up air time just to check my e mails. I have to enter a security code/password every time i want to connect? i don't have the patience or the time.

it will be interesting to see how the two device users feel a few months into it. my bet is that many will miss or wish they had the reliability and convienance of one device.

my experience with the one device sprint cdma is few hang ups and faster speed, i had the tungsten wireless gsm /att it was brutal. the hang ups were constant.sent it back. the treo,sprint,cdma experience is light years better.

large screen to show movies on, sexy looks? my work drives my device needs not my personal life.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/04/2003 at 09:52 AM.
    bluetooth is definitely my major wish for this phone, but like a lot of you, i'm thrilled that my this phone is going to do something that i haven't seen in phones in a long time -- the ability to vibrate at any ring volume. it drives me nuts to get phones and only have it vibrate when it is silent... i know it's a nit, but sometimes it's the little things that make day-to-day interaction with a phone that much more pleasurable. (i read this somewhere in a reply on this board but don't have the link handy.)

anyway, is there anyone else cheering
    JTREOB on while reading these posts?
    I finally found the T608. Sorry but its not really the "show the hot chick" phone others seem to think it is. Personally they will be more impressed with your ability to work the phone and the drink at the same time right?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    I finally found the T608. Sorry but its not really the "show the hot chick" phone others seem to think it is. Personally they will be more impressed with your ability to work the phone and the drink at the same time right?
    No! No! No!

The "show the hot chick" is not the phone, but the Palm T3!!

The phone is in your pocket, giving your Palm Internet and email access!!

Now the Palm T3 reviews are amazing. Look up Palm T3 review in Google and you'll see how they describe it. Amazing, breakthrough, crisp, wow...I'm getting mine on Monday and I can't wait!!
    Originally posted by mgauss

No! No! No!

The "show the hot chick" is not the phone, but the Palm T3!!

The phone is in your pocket, giving your Palm Internet and email access!!

Now the Palm T3 reviews are amazing. Look up Palm T3 review in Google and you'll see how they describe it. Amazing, breakthrough, crisp, wow...I'm getting mine on Monday and I can't wait!!
    hi my name is mgauss would you like to see my t3? how fetching.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/05/2003 at 01:12 AM.
    There used to be a Web site called "t608users.com". They renamed it after the umpteenth T608 delay. It's now "sprintpcsinfo.com", I think, and addresses things other than the ever-delayed T608.

I used to monitor this site regularly to find when the T608 would make its way to the market, so I could snap it up and use it with my Tungsten or (later) my iPAQ. Delays, delays, delays.

Posts about that phone on this board got me wondering again ... I was figuring I'd stay with the Treo anyway, but as a backup plan (in case I couldn't get a Treo quickly, or its keyboard or other key features get panned by real-world users) - I'd keep one eye on the T608.

Guess what? ANOTHER delay.

http://circuitsavings.com/spcsinfo/m...rticle&sid=175

Un freaking believable. That is the most delayed phone in the history of the universe.

If Sprint doesn't want to sell it, they should just announce that they're not selling it. It was FCC approved in November 2002.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast