Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    This is what Palm released today. http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/01/palm/ The future of the Treo looks bright.

macfan
    There was mention at Palminforcenter that they updated the PIM apps (names) to Calender, contacts, tasks and memo's to more resemble PPC OS and outlook. Personally I could care less, but it does make it more uniform and maybe folks won't get confused with contacts vs address anymore.
  3. cml
    Picked up a Tungsten|E this afternoon - a welcome upgrade from my Visor which has been dying a slow death. Sorry, Visor.

Palm aimed the E striaght at the forheads of users looking to upgrade - and it snared me too. I just couldn't resist its color screen, slim formfactor and more memory - at $199 a steal. Can't wait to fire it up, it's charging now.
    I'll be ordering my E on Monday. It will replace my m125, which replaced my Visor Deluxe. I'll copy my datebook, memo pad, address book, and to-do list databases to the Visor's Flash Springboard and take the batteries out and let it hibernate for future re-discovery, and the m125 will become my emergency backup/going-camping PDA.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
  5. cml
    Originally posted by Tom LaPrise
    I'll be ordering my E on Monday.
    You'll definitely like it - the screen is gorgeous and it is quite zippy compared to my old Visor - however, there is no Universal Connector which may bug you if you've bought accessories for your m125.
    The Tungsten E looks like an absolutely marvelous device. I haven't been this impressed with a Palm product ever. It has a superb price and looks like a fantastic unit.
    Fortunately, I guess, I haven't bought any accessories for any of my PDAs except for the Visor's Flash Springboard and the m125's expansion card. The Universal Connector has proven to be more of a pain in the **** to me because those little contacts seem to get cruddy too easily. I liked the Visor's big honkin' contacts much better.

I've heard a complaint or two about short battery life on the Tungsten E and apparently the backlight control doesn't include an "off" setting, but I do like the idea of 32MB of RAM--even if, as usual, it isn't all available to the user. No more wondering if I ought to delete ePocrates to make room for Docs to Go!
    -Shrek
  8. cml
    I've heard a complaint or two about short battery life on the Tungsten E and apparently the backlight control doesn't include an "off" setting, but I do like the idea of 32MB of RAM--even if, as usual, it isn't all available to the user.
    Yes, you can't shut off the backlight, but what's the point of that? It saves battery, but you can barely read the screen.

As far as battery life, I don't see a prolem unless you use it a lot and can't charge it at night. I used it for about 2 hours yesterday and it had 1/3 battery left, and Infosync's review has it bottoming out at 3 hours. Not bad for me, as it can get a boost every night when I get home.

The memory is the awesome part - I have 25 pictures (4 MB) and a minute-long trailer (3 MB), plus Documents To Go and other stuff, with 15 MB to spare.
    How is the E's case held together--glued or screwed? I'm just wondering how hard it's eventually going to be to replace the battery when it won't hold a full charge anymore (maybe 2 years or so). I'm sure gethightech.com will have replacements available by then.

I get to order my E tomorrow... my work awarded me some more reward points while I was off this past week but my "gift certificate" numbers are sent to my work e-mail. I'll combine what I have and get the E at NO out-of-pocket expense (Palm is throwing in free shipping on orders of new Fall releases!). My wife will be happy about that. I'll be biting my nails until the thing arrives, I'm sure!
    -Shrek
  10. cml
    How is the E's case held together--glued or screwed? I'm just wondering how hard it's eventually going to be to replace the battery when it won't hold a full charge anymore (maybe 2 years or so). I'm sure gethightech.com will have replacements available by then.
    It's got 4 little Torx screws on the back... I don't think it will be terribly hard to crack it open and replace the battery, as long as they haven't soldered it to anything.

That sounds like an awesome deal, Tom! A very good way to reward employees with new toys.
    My local Staples now has them, so I got to play with one for a few minutes. Pretty cool... now my m125 looks utterly chunky and toy-like. It's always looked a little toy-like (compared to my Visor Deluxe), but I'd gotten over that. I did see the little screws on the back, but in the glare of the lights and all that silvery case I couldn't tell if they were Torx or Phillips (like Palm would do THAT, right?).

I'm really going to like the bigger screen. That's been one drawback of the plastic Palm. I did like the feeling that I wouldn't break the thing, but at age 40 my eyes aren't what they used to be. (I wonder if the digitizer of the E is plastic...)
    -Shrek