Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Please add me to the small chorus of people looking at the Treo 600's keyboard and saying "Ewww!" (or however you spell it). I just think it's too small. My Treo 300's keyboard is too small, so I think they should have gone bigger, not smaller, by going with something like my mini-Nokia-Communicator mockup. Take a look at the Sony UX50. When closed, imagine that with a small screen and numeric phone keypad. That would be a perfectly reasonable size for pocketing and would offer infinitely better functionality. Just my opinion though.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Please add me to the small chorus of people looking at the Treo 600's keyboard and saying "Ewww!" (or however you spell it). I just think it's too small. My Treo 300's keyboard is too small, so I think they should have gone bigger, not smaller, by going with something like my mini-Nokia-Communicator mockup. Take a look at the Sony UX50. When closed, imagine that with a small screen and numeric phone keypad. That would be a perfectly reasonable size for pocketing and would offer infinitely better functionality. Just my opinion though.

Scott
    Scott,

Your Ewww and the Ewww SeldomVisitor is claiming a lot of people utter are different. You have a beef with the size of the Treo 600's keyboard. He is saying that a keyboard on a phone makes people go Ewww.

I have concerns obout the 600's keyboard size as well. I think I can get used to it, but I'm a little worried.
    Oh.

Is THAT what I said!?

Oh.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by csherman

Is this the wanda that you are referring to?

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3265.html
    That's what Purple was talking about. But there's no mention of anyone using TI's design and actually making a phone.
    mgauss,

I don't see that the T3 supports PCS, GPRS, CMDA or any other cell-phone network. I'd like the bigger display and keyboard if only I can access the Internet most anywhere like I would with a cell-phone type PDA (e.g., BlackBerry, SideKick, Treo 600), with the always-on push-enabled SMS/email. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the T3 but I don't think we're comparing apples with apples. Please clarify as this may affect my decision with regards to Treo 600.

I'd love to purchase the Tungsten C or W if only it can run on the T-Mobile network (not just the HotSpot, but the entire network).

As far as I know, there's just the SideKick, Blackberry, PocketPC (ugh) and Treo 270 on T-Mobile. Disappointed with such limited selection when there are far better PDA's available (ones that unfortunately do not run on T-Mobile, or did I misunderstand T-Mobile, too?)

Regards,

John
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Oh.

Is THAT what I said!?

Oh.
    Actually, I think you probably weren't as clear as you could have been, so I can see how some may have interpreted it this way. So what exactly was your "Ewww!" for?

Silverado, I can say that I watched the CNET video and I got the impression that their phone diva (who appeared to be stoned, BTW) didn't seem to dislike the idea of a thumbboard but the two of them did comment on the keys being kind of small.

Scott
    Oh.

Is THAT what I said!?

Oh.
    Yep. After all you were talking about people disliking the keyboard, and the 600 isn't out yet. Surely you didn't mean the members of this site who look at pictures of it day and night, did you?

Plus, I know you said similar things re the keyboard before.

If your remarks are only about 600, then cross my last comment.
    Last edited by silverado; 10/01/2003 at 12:19 PM.
    Actually, I just went back and here's what he said word-for-word:
    Though much ado is made of the QWERTY keyboard, the fact is that there is evidence a LOT of potential customers look at it and say "Ewwww".

Even Mossberg said a woman who tried out the TREO 600 said it couldn't be used with long fingernails.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the keyboard disappear in the next TREO - either hidden somewhere (ala Nokia or Zaurus) or simply gone.

Milllions and millions of cellphones are sold for text messaging, email, and surfing that do NOT have QWERTY keyboards - there's a market for them, to say the least.
    So, clearly he was commenting that he thought the idea of a built-in QWERTY keyboard on a phone was a bad idea. This, of course, was not the point I was making.

Scott
    Hmmm..and here I thought I was perfectly clear in the context of the stream of posts having been made prior to my own!

Well...to lay this to rest (and thus to have been proven correct!) I for sure was discussing ==the== TREO 600 keyboard in particular for the first part(s) (that's why I used the word "the" instead of "a") and, since ya can't change THAT keyboard without hiding it, something similar to it for the other parts of my post!

Ha ha ha!

No kidding.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The NEW T3:

Palms Phone Link wizard makes it easy to quickly setup a connection with a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone for sharing a GPRS connection, Dialing numbers from your address book or sending an SMS. With a few taps you can select the model and carrier information and PhoneLink sets up the rest. The TT3 makes a excellent companion to a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. I routinely compose my SMS messages on the T3 and send them to the phone over Bluetooth all without ever touching the phone in my pocket.
    The Treo 600 keyboard is unique in that it is designed to be used with one hand. You flip around on the screen with the five-way button and then type what you need to where you need it with the keyboard. Awesome!
    Me, I love 'em. Some people hate them or see them as insignificant.

I really got used to it when I had a BB. There are tons of corporate wonks (don't get on me, I was one, too) walking around with them. So it must be of benefit and value in the corporate world.

I have used the T9 and predicitive text and for what I DO, it just isn't as workable or easy to function as having a thumboard. If you are just doing text messaging, you really don't need the thumboard. And, probably don't need a Treo to begin with. A regular ol' phone oughta work for you ... and that is what you should purchase.

Email is a big part of my every day business life ... not short ones that you could use SMS for either. You know, someone sends you what seems to be 100 questions and needs a response very quickly. The thumboard lets me pound out a return email quickly and accurately. I could not do it with T9.

I also need the PDA function. So the 600 makes sense for what I do ... it gives me the traditional pda uses, a pretty good phone, access to the web and my email. It would be more difficult for me without the thumboard.

So, to each his own. You want a thumboard, get a 600 or BB, if not, then a PPC or a phone that handles what you need it to do. I just don't think it will be going away soon.
  13. purpleX
    Here we go add to the list of treo600 killer,
    first picture of the sucessor of Motorola mpx is leaked already.

Motorola i930, very blurry.
    http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/009129.php#009129

It'll have BT, Digicam.
    Er - how can it be a Treo killer if it isn't a phone?

One device in my pocket instead of two - it's that simple.
    Hmmm..and here I thought I was perfectly clear in the context of the stream of posts having been made prior to my own!

Well...to lay this to rest (and thus to have been proven correct!) I for sure was discussing ==the== TREO 600 keyboard in particular for the first part(s) (that's why I used the word "the" instead of "a") and, since ya can't change THAT keyboard without hiding it, something similar to it for the other parts of my post!

Ha ha ha!

No kidding.
    OK. Back to the topic at hand... Still waiting for evidence you refer to in your statement: `the fact is that there is evidence a LOT of potential customers look at it and say "Ewwww".'

Is ScottR it?
    And I take it you're not done counting the features the Treo 600 has over your average phone after my earlier post? Is that why you haven't responded yet? Did it surpass "few" yet?
    Well, now here on treocentral we have, I believe, at least three fans saying Ewwww w.r.t. the keyboard, we have Mossberg's "woman" saying it is unusable with fingernails (geeks have nubs, right? Lol!). I think pint has been made.

Ewww...

=====

Your links went to soe sort of PALM device pages like for Zire and something else - not really TREO relevant.
    Originally posted by purpleX

It'll have BT, Digicam.
    No PPC phone will ever, ever have a chance of killing the 600 unless it has two things -- the same form factor and a thumboard.

Quit posting that phones using T9 are viable options to thumboard equipped devices. They serve two different markets and groups of users with divergent needs. They will exist together at the same time and will both be successful in their own right.

Sheesh ... get over it already.
    Originally posted by purpleX

It'll have BT, Digicam.
    And it won't be out till the END of next year according to the article you listed. By then their could be a new Treo running Palm OS6 with a 320x320 res display that will be a GSM/CDMA 1xEV-DO/Bluetooth/GPS. The chipsets are just now available to do this. A Treo 600 killer would have to be something released in the next half year as I am sure that HS is already working on the next Treo. Mobile phones only have a two year life tops for consumers.

What kills me is how it was commented recently by individuals that HS was stupid for hyping this thing since the summer and here is an article hyping a phone that won't be available for over a year. Am I missing the even-handedness being applied by certain individuals in their assessments of the Treo/Palm platforms and the MS platforms?
    Originally posted by tjd414

No PPC phone will ever, ever have a chance of killing the 600 unless it has two things -- the same form factor and a thumboard.

Quit posting that phones using T9 are viable options to thumboard equipped devices. They serve two different markets and groups of users with divergent needs. They will exist together at the same time and will both be successful in their own right.

Sheesh ... get over it already.
    I agree 50%. I think the thumbboard is what makes the Treo unique, and don't think anything can be called a "Treo killer" if it lacks one. I disagree about the size, though, and would be curious how many others would, like me, be willing to have a somewhat larger device if it offered a larger thumbboard and larger higher-res screen.

Scott
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast