Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    In order to "fizzle out" the sales of the TREO 600 have to be at some rate that allows a fizzle.

There may be a few dozen (few hundred?) buyers here on TreoCentral but you'll be VERY hardpressed to find buyers in quantity for a $500 cell phone with a few extra features.

Bet on it.
    SeldomVisitor:

Describing the Treo 600 as a "cell phone with a few extra features" suggests that you have no idea what the Treo 600 is.
    SeldomVisitor and PurpleX:

Both of you are assuming that the initial price is $500. People don't use non-contract prices for phones.

Here are the known real prices:
    - Sprint: $399
    - Cingular: $449
    - Handspring offer to previous owners: $399.

Get real. Get straight info and use it.
    Silverado, though you are infatuated with the TREO 600 and apparently think $500 for a cellphone with a few extra features is perfectly sellable to the general public, the plain fact of the matter is that there are free phones, $50 phones, $100 phones, $200 phones , and $300 phones that ALL do exactly what the TREO 600 does minus a few extra features.

So take the few extra features (and if you come up with MORE than few something ain't right here!) and add up their value, then add that to the cheapest phone without those EXTRA features, and tell the world thats perfectly sellable to Jane and Joe Nongeek.

Go for it!
    I have seen so many "real prices" for the TREO 600 that I won't believe ANY of them until some number of people post right here and say:

== "I just walked out of a store with my TREO 600; it cost
    == N dollars with an N-year contract!"

However, my point remains valid even if the TREO 600 is ONLY a $400 cellphone with a few extra feature...
  6. purpleX
    Nov. 12

The first real treo 600 customer: "I just walked out of a store with my TREO 600; it costs $499 dollars with an 10 yrs. contract and blood of my first born!"

Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    I have seen so many "real prices" for the TREO 600 that I won't believe ANY of them until some number of people post right here and say:

== "I just walked out of a store with my TREO 600; it cost
    == N dollars with an N-year contract!"

However, my point remains valid even if the TREO 600 is ONLY a $400 cellphone with a few extra feature...
    I believe them because I got them firsthand. You'll believe them in a couple of weeks.

See below for the "few extra feature[sic]" response.
    Last edited by silverado; 10/01/2003 at 08:54 AM.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Nov. 12

The first real treo 600 customer: "I just walked out of a store with my TREO 600; it costs $499 dollars with an 10 yrs. contract and blood of my first born!"

You never add to content, do you?
  9. purpleX
    Originally posted by tjd414

You never add to content, do you?
    You mean fanboys cheerleading? no I don't.
    Silverado, though you are infatuated with the TREO 600 and apparently think $500 for a cellphone with a few extra features is perfectly sellable to the general public, the plain fact of the matter is that there are free phones, $50 phones, $100 phones, $200 phones , and $300 phones that ALL do exactly what the TREO 600 does minus a few extra features.

So take the few extra features (and if you come up with MORE than few something ain't right here!) and add up their value, then add that to the cheapest phone without those EXTRA features, and tell the world thats perfectly sellable to Jane and Joe Nongeek.

Go for it!
    Yeah, few extra features!

Let's see... The Treo 600 is a cell phone with roughly something between this and this tacked on. You can go count their features, compare them to your cell phone and see if they are more than "a few".

And again (yeah, I'll repeat myself again since we seem to have memory problems), the treo is not for your Joe and Jane. It is meant to appeal to the users who use PDA's and phones.

And again, it's not $500, it's $399 from Sprint and can only go down from there.

I hope you remember some of this the next time you post because I'm getting tired of repeating myself.
    /

You mean fanboys cheerleading? no I don't.
    That's like the pot calling the kettle black! You, the ultimate fanboy cheerleader for the PPC!

I will admit I am a fan of the Treo ... it is a great tool for me.

I will also admit that you are a great fan of PPC ... and that is great, too. It works for you and what you need it for.

Different needs and different products to fill them ... That's why there is GM and Ford (substitute any makes you want). It's called competition and the world would be much more boring if we didn't have it.

Let's not blast one another over our choices ... Make your points without so much venom in your comments. That's why people blow you off and have so little respect for what you say (although I will admit you do make some very good points every once in awhile).
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    While the appeal of the Laptop and BT phone comination is compelling I am trying to reduce the number of gizmos I carry. I want the T600 because it has a better "form factor" than ANY OTHER palm or PPC based phone/PDA. I have full computing power to access spreadsheets and docs, access email, access MLS and other apps via the web and a cell phone and I only have to carry 1 compact device.

My main business tool is my desktop PC. The T600 is merely an extension of that. But what an extension it is. I love the 270 but the form factor is not a good fit for me. There is currently nothing else out there that handles all of these needs as well as I believe the T600 will.

BigTEx
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    What a perfect thread for all the negatoids to chime in with their questionable contributions!

How is the T3 a Treo 600 killer? Where's the phone? Where's the keyboard? Anyone who says that the thumboard is not popular hasn't seen all the Blackberry people walking around constantly typing on them. I was a tried and true Graffiti user until I lost my Prism and got a 90 to replace it. It took me about 30 seconds to realize the huge advantage of the keyboard. T9 or any other input on a phone is a joke for anything longer than three lines. The combination of the very intelligent implementation of the five-way button and the keyboard on the Treo 600 makes it truly usable (I have used it). This device will prove itself in time. Why don't we wait until it is actually released in two weeks before we declare it totally dead.
    I think this is like saying that a top line Mercedes is like an entry level Kia with a few extra features. I mean both drive, and all cell phones make phone calls. There's a reason why people will pay 10x for the best Mercedes (I wouldn't, but Mercedes isn't going out of business or anything) and that's the "few exra features."
  16. purpleX
    I am sorry to break it to you but with 160 by 160 screen, it's not even close to be the mercedes of phone. But it sure does have the price of a mercedes.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Purplex - lots of opinions stated as facts, random links and copied quotes from other sites. No credibility.

Seldom - seems down on the Treo, but at least you can have a convo with him.

Otherwise - How much is that T3 going to be? Don't some people NOT want to carry two devices (BT phone PLUS T3?)

Wanda - EXACTLY who is making a Wanda phone? What will the price be? WHERE IS IT?

There will always be something better out there at some point. I don't want two devices. PPC phones would be great, but they are too big right now (G1000).

I love the thumboard. I use Instant Messaging ALL THE TIME on it. Plus emails. I've also used devices without keyboards (T9, predictive text, etc..) and there just is NO comparison.

I *do* think they need to come out with a 320x320 phone next year - for competition's sake.
    I am sorry to break it to you but with 160 by 160 screen, it's not even close to be the mercedes of phone. But it sure does have the price of a mercedes.
    I have not seen a PDA phone cost under $500 dollars at initial release no matter who makes it. Why would the most anticipated, best form factor unit cost less than the norm at initial release? Simple economics says to sell at what the market will bear, and given the choices currently available, their size, and their prices (I-500, I-700, G1000, etc.) HS could have went higher.

PPC has to have a huge screen to handle all the fluff of the OS and for MS to squeeze the desktop style look into a PDA. The Palm OS line doesn't have to have a large screen because the way the interface is designed. The Mpx is a step in the right direction for MS since it looks like they are starting to realize that people want quick, streamlined usage from a phone/PDA, but the existing PPC/Phone implementations now are a PPC first with a phone as an afterthought. The Treo 300 was the same, but the 600 seems to be a phone first, PDA distant second, which is more in line with what the CONVERGED market wants.
    Originally posted by njchris
    Purplex - lots of opinions stated as facts, random links and copied quotes from other sites. No credibility.

Seldom - seems down on the Treo, but at least you can have a convo with him.

Otherwise - How much is that T3 going to be? Don't some people NOT want to carry two devices (BT phone PLUS T3?)

Wanda - EXACTLY who is making a Wanda phone? What will the price be? WHERE IS IT?

There will always be something better out there at some point. I don't want two devices. PPC phones would be great, but they are too big right now (G1000).

I love the thumboard. I use Instant Messaging ALL THE TIME on it. Plus emails. I've also used devices without keyboards (T9, predictive text, etc..) and there just is NO comparison.

I *do* think they need to come out with a 320x320 phone next year - for competition's sake.
    Is this the wanda that you are referring to?

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3265.html
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Nope, I don't think so unless you think the new SE P810/P900 are killer devices...

I agree, though the SE devices are much more E than S, and I don't think they use Palm OS, but Symbion, which for me is a non-starter.

Cliesource has many posts pondering/hoping for Sony to produce a combo Clie. Curiously, quite a few Clie users, it appears, are going to switch to the Treo 600, or, at least, get one without switching. On the other hand, you can imagine the whining going through that board about T600's 160X160. IMO, HS has no choice to offer a high-rez T600 fairly soon or they'll have a fossil (NPI) in short order.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast