Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Data just released - go to the FCC site and enter code "QDJ".

That's the manufacturer Chi Mei in Taiwan (for Microsoft).
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 07/31/2003 at 01:09 PM.
    Can you post the website link?
    Roger
  3. purpleX
    It's a thin standard flip phone, dual screen, no BT.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/fo...ic.php?p=31448
  4.    #5  
    I believe, though the phone is indeed a tiny "flip phone", that it is much more than standard - it is an uber-smart phone.
    looks uber-boring to me

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I've looked at this device and its user guide.

Can one of the Microsoft enthusiasts please tell me why these MS Smartphones are supposed to be so great? I'm assuming we're talking about SPV and its successors. As much as I can tell, they can't be too different from many of the higher end phones out there. They all have web browsers and email clients... The MS Smartphone will have the "e" logo on the browser that people identify with and maybe Word and Excel readers... These can also be easily put on other phones... Nothing major here.

Without any good text input methods or a touch screen, why should this line of phones form any threat to the established phone giants, who already match these features?

I guess if it said Microsft on it, some people would buy it for the name...

Please enlighten me on the most optimistic outlooks (no pun intended). I understand where the CE-based phones (or Pocket PC or Windows Pocket Edition or whatever the name is today) are heading, but I don't get the big idea behind the Smartphone from looking at the SPV and the user guide for this new phone.
    As I bantered about with purplex on a previous thread - in my opinion, this phone form does nothing to distinguish itself from any number of other high-end devices from Sanyo, Samsung, LG - the list goes on and on - all of whom have MUCH more established relationships with carriers and market presence.
    Why would a carrier pick up this device when it's fundamentally the same thing as the three or four ones they carry already? Price? Will MS subsidize this thing so low? And why would a consumer want this?
    As I recall, purple's response in the other thread had to do with skinnable (and XML-based) today screen, streaming video - that sort of thing.
    We'll see.
    If I was to get a M$ smartphone. the Mio 8380 would be a much more interesting device IMO...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9. purpleX
    Originally posted by nrosser
    As I bantered about with purplex on a previous thread - in my opinion, this phone form does nothing to distinguish itself from any number of other high-end devices from Sanyo, Samsung, LG - the list goes on and on - all of whom have MUCH more established relationships with carriers and market presence.
    Why would a carrier pick up this device when it's fundamentally the same thing as the three or four ones they carry already? Price? Will MS subsidize this thing so low? And why would a consumer want this?
    As I recall, purple's response in the other thread had to do with skinnable (and XML-based) today screen, streaming video - that sort of thing.
    We'll see.
    How much more establish can any manufacturer be than Motorola? ehrrr.... Sanyo, LG? what?

and you are assuming carrier care about what the phone look like directly. Carrier only care about 'subscriber using more of their service' and from UK experiance, SPV user uses 10 times more airtime than average regular wireless. That's why all of a sudden the big 5 phone manufacturer start flirting with MS smartphone.

like I say, by the time smartphone hit US, it'll be too cheap too resist and the features too interesting to ignore.

Is it fundamentally the same thing with other phones? well it makes phone calls, and look like a flip phone if that's what you mean.

but show me other phone that is skinable, can play Divx, has photo caller ID, sync with outlook wirelessly and does Mame.

PS. does treo even have an HTTP web browser? (not HTML reader or proxy client ...)
    Originally posted by purpleX

but show me other phone that is skinable, can play Divx, has photo caller ID, sync with outlook wirelessly and does Mame.
    Skinnable? Yeah, that's a real feature that's going to drive sales.

Playing movies? Yes, many phones out there do it. Divx is one format. I'm sure if it's hot, they will support it too.

Photo caller ID? No big deal, many phones do that.

Sync outlook wirelessly? Even your hated Treo can do this.

Doing Mame? I don't know.

Still don't see the compelling advantage TODAY and an edge that can remain over the competitors. If any of these features are not there, they are a step away.

I wasn't saying that Smart Phone has no interesting technologies and features. I was asking how does it promise to to be a strong competitor to the large phone guys.

By the way, Palm doesn't claim that it will take over the phone market, but MS seems to be. That is why I am asking the question.

If you're claiming that this combination of features is what is compelling, I disagree because combining them isn't so hard.

By the way, I can go to palmgear.com and look up a 100 or so cool apps and ask you to show me a phone out there today that can perform all these 100 tasks.

PS. does treo even have an HTTP web browser? (not HTML reader or proxy client ...)
    Yes it does.

Oh man... can't believe I'm getting into this again.
    Last edited by silverado; 08/01/2003 at 02:51 PM.

How much more establish can any manufacturer be than Motorola? ehrrr.... Sanyo, LG? what?

The question you have to ask is how committed is Motorola is to M$ smartphone? If you've forgotten, Motorola is a founding member fo the Symbian consortium and has previously announced a major push using linux on large number of it future smartphone devices...

12. purpleX
    Originally posted by silverado
    Skinnable? Yeah, that's a real feature that's going to drive sales.
    you will be surprise. Remember SMS and ringtone? lol How much sillier can those craze be?

and smartpones has .wav and .mp3 player. SPV already has the reputation as the best speaker phone. Also there is a reason why funky color Nokia phone sells by the millions, but drab treo 300 only sell in the ten of thousands.

Playing movies? Yes, many phones out there do it. Divx is one format. I'm sure if it's hot, they will support it too.
    Well, nobody else has it. Where are they? Tungsten has been out for a year, but still no one make a reliable port yet.

Doing Mame? I don't know.
    well you are obviously not the target market then. But if I have to bet which will move faster, datebk capability or Mame capability, I'll put my money on the Mame, and make it one to five bet.

Still don't see the compelling advantage TODAY and an edge that can remain over the competitors. If any of these features are not there, they are a step away.
    It's cheap, it's fun, it's more than average nokia. That's the basic premise. Come second generation, it will have faster Xscale, more utility of SD peripherals, bigger app library, and all with lower price.

I wasn't saying that Smart Phone has no interesting technologies and features. I was asking how does it promise to to be a strong competitor to the large phone guys.
    which large phone guy? Samsung, TI, motorola are among the top 5 already signing. Nokia and Ericcson are the two left. That on top of various taiwanese ODM. That against Handspring, which is no more... So I am not sure which other large phone guys are you referring. (handspring? ... )

By the way, Palm doesn't claim that it will take over the phone market, but MS seems to be. That is why I am asking the question.

If you're claiming that this combination of features is what is compelling, I disagree because combining them isn't so hard.
    It's cheap, it's more than average high end phone, and it's fun. Do you think treo at $500 can beat a freebie SPV ? It didn't happen that way in europe.

By the way, I can go to palmgear.com and look up a 100 or so cool apps and ask you to show me a phone out there today that can perform all these 100 tasks.
    sure if palmgear has anything that phone user wants to use. Yet another bejeweled and datebook 5? I am sure the teen crowd will flock and go crazy over that....

put it this way: smartphone: it's funky, it can do stuff your dad's phone can't do. treo: your dad's phone.
  13. purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

The question you have to ask is how committed is Motorola is to M$ smartphone? If you've forgotten, Motorola is a founding member fo the Symbian consortium and has previously announced a major push using linux on large number of it future smartphone devices...
    There is nothing that big money cannot buy.
    All power to the teens market, let them skin and DivX to their hearts' content. All I want is room for my cool, fun, functional, productivity communicator/PDA device to survive. Then we can all live happily ever after.

Microsoft has been known to kill big companies. I hope they don't manage to kill Palm. I hope Palm remains and be the Apple of hand-helds. Or at least, on its deathbed, let someone like Apple buy it and keep its spirit alive.
  15. purpleX
    I can asure you it won't survive, unless a retro 90 is making a come back 10 years earlier.
    I can asure you it won't survive, unless a retro 90 is making a come back 10 years earlier.
    Not even Bill Gates himself can be so sure. Sorry, I won't take your assurances.
    Speaking as someone who makes up a part of the teens market, I can assure you that the Treo can do everything I'd use it to do, which is just as much as the Smartphone can do.

Games... check (NES emulator, Gameboy emulator, Gamegear emulator possibly, an XCade emulator (which is the same as Mame if you're talking about the arcade game emulator.. maybe i missed something there) and i hear rumors that someone is working on a Gameboy Advance emulator, as well as all the dedicated Palm OS games)

Email, instant messaging, some small amounts of web-browsing from the phone... has that too, and even the thumbboard which makes it easier for typing messages.

Divx support.. MMplayer has a stable player running on a zire 71, which i believe has the same processor as the treo

MP3/ Ogg.. aeroplayer

Photo Caller ID is included in the 600's software.

And I understand that by skinning you mean something more sophisticated than just picking a background picture, but for many, this is enough.

The one thing I do agree with you on though, is that the price is the biggest factor. However, I don't see how you can argue that the Treo doesn't have the features that the teen market would be interested in.

which large phone guy? Samsung, TI, motorola are among the top 5 already signing. Nokia and Ericcson are the two left. That on top of various taiwanese ODM. That against Handspring, which is no more... So I am not sure which other large phone guys are you referring. (handspring? ... )
    There you go inflating the truth SKA-style! Or should I say lies? FIrst of all TI is NOT mobile handset manufacturer! Sorry, just b/c they created the Wanda reference design doesn't mean they get to be a top mobile OEM! Secondly, both Motorola and Samsung have lisenced other platforms as well. Like I previously stated, Motorola is a founding member of the Symbian consortium and has announced plans to develop a majority of its future smartphones using Linux OS. Like many others, it is merely hedging its bets with M$ as well as other platforms. Samsung is also a Symbian, and PalmOS lisencee. Do you think they know which platform is going to win? And lastly, Nokia and SE are purely Symbian OS device makers. Thus the ONLY players M$ really has exclusively if at all are minor ODM's like HTC etc which will gladly jump platforms like mercenaries on a sinking ship if it suited them. The truth is that M$ has had a hell of a time trying to convincing major handset OEM's to lisence their platform. No one is going to let Bill & Co. turn mobile phones into another wintel without a fight. As a result M$ has had to fall back on the strategy of courting wireless providers directly and then hiring ODM's to produce devices which they can brand under the wireless provider's logo. M$ thinks it can woo wireless providers if they provide handsets under the providers own name. The problem is that this effectly makes M$ the design house competely directly agianst major mobile OEM'a who have been doing this for much longer and better than M$. Thus the picture for M$ is far from the rosey picture you depict, in fact far from it. Of course, Handspring has it's own myriad of problems and issues. But at least it has a proven track record in NA which M$ smartphone... er... well... they're still trying to wrok on it.

Btw, if you want to see the top 5 venders in the convergence device segment, check out the link below:

http://www.idcresearch.com/getdoc.jh...3_07_31_151031

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast