Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2. purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    There you go inflating the truth SKA-style! Or should I say lies? FIrst of all TI is NOT mobile handset manufacturer! Sorry, just b/c they created the Wanda reference design doesn't mean they get to be a top mobile OEM!
    Okay, I am sorry, TI is not a handset manufacturer. It's only the third largest phone network supplier and only holds near monopoly on wireless transceiver and DSP chip for all handphones.

Secondly, both Motorola and Samsung have lisenced other platforms as well. Like I previously stated, Motorola is a founding member of the Symbian consortium and has announced plans to develop a majority of its future smartphones using Linux OS.
    So what? I didn't see motorola chomping on Palm OS and hedgin its bet on it, or Samsung showing off next generation of phone after the i500.
    The point: no matter how much trivialization you are trying to pull, name like TI, Samsung, and motorola aren't second rate in wireless business. Motorola is the guy who invent the whole busines fer gawd sake. (ie. Motorola thinks Symbian or smartphone worth the bet, and NOT POS)

. Do you think they know which platform is going to win? And lastly, Nokia and SE are purely Symbian OS device makers.
    Never underestimate the power of 29 billion dollar of cash my dear! And the way each trend is pointing, I would be worry if I were POS, maybe not symbian yet.

Thus the ONLY players M$ really has exclusively if at all are minor ODM's like HTC etc which will gladly jump platforms like mercenaries on a sinking ship if it suited them.
    HTC maybe a small player in wireless handset, but it's the biggest PDA manufacturer in the planet. And believe you me, that isn't a small title.

Chi Mei Comm again, maybe a newbie, but Chi Mei optoelectronic is one of the biggest LCD maker in the planet.

The truth is that M$ has had a hell of a time trying to convincing major handset OEM's to lisence their platform. No one is going to let Bill & Co.
    which is WHY motorola brand is a significant win! duh. and that left only Nokia and Ericcson on the top 5 list. (yes Siemens IS dabbling with PPC PE, tho not smartphone)

turn mobile phones into another wintel without a fight. As a result M$ has had to fall back on the strategy of courting wireless providers directly and then hiring ODM's to produce devices which they can brand under the wireless provider's logo. M$ thinks it can woo wireless providers if they provide handsets under the providers own name. The problem is that this effectly makes M$ the design house competely directly agianst major mobile OEM'a who have been doing this for much longer and better than M$. Thus the picture for M$ is far from the rosey picture you depict, in fact far from it. Of course, Handspring has it's own myriad of problems and issues. But at least it has a proven track record in NA which M$ smartphone... er... well... they're still trying to wrok on it.
    bla bla bla.... show me new POS handset being announced by any of the top 5 player.

The situation with MS is exactly the direction where phone handset is going. instead of old skool Nokia approach where handset manufacturer controls everything. Handphone will turn into computer like device, there are app developer, OS company, handset maker, ODM, and finally wireless service, instead of now handset maker and wireless provider controls the scene with app developer and ODM being squeezed out in the fringe.

Microsoft is exploiting wireless provider discontent, taiwanese electronic giant trying to break new market, and the financial situation in TI and Motorola. Or in other word, It's about money and nokia iron grip in phone industry.

If it weren't for Sony, Ericcson will be smooching with Microsoft by now.

-------------
    >>>Motorola every where!

except in POS land.
  3. purpleX
    Originally posted by jhoff80

The one thing I do agree with you on though, is that the price is the biggest factor. However, I don't see how you can argue that the Treo doesn't have the features that the teen market would be interested in.
    Simple, the Xcade you are talking about, is a payware that doesn't support more than half a dozen ROM. and NESem are so pathetic it isn't even worth talking when it run on top of omap 310. Unless you are a masochist who enjoy playing game at 15fps or below. GB? does it even RUN properly on Z71 yet? let alone treo600?

mmplayers? the one that kill Z71 every other launch and need frame skip to run? eh hmmm....

bottom line, the softwares you cited are not even a stable releases let alone something that one can use hours on ends. That on top of various top selling game already release such as interstellar flames or hexactos stuff.

sorry but multimedia, pictures app, gaming and internet, are more advance in smartphone already than treo 600. Smartphone inherits the apps from PPC.

Writing tools are pretty much complete. next is porting all popular personal info management tool. that wouldn't take long bring it from PPC to smartphones... Once smartphone has all the PPC top apps, It's pretty much more than ready to chomp the market.
    Can somebody tell me why the fuc* the Treo 600 looks just like the Ericson smartphone?

http://www.cellular.co.za/ericsson_c...r_platform.htm

Same curves, same antenna, same size, form factor, except a querty keyboard instead of w/out one..man Jeff..you gonna get bused when Ericson figures this one out..J.H. basically took this form factor and worked it into his own. Why dont you get your own originality instead of copying off of others? No wonder the Treo 600 looks so square and geeky. Cause it's based off of another phone design, without creative thinking. I actually think that Ericson looks better. smaller and looks less wide. looks more like a phone.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Can somebody tell me why the fuc* the Treo 600 looks just like the Ericson smartphone?

http://www.cellular.co.za/ericsson_c...r_platform.htm

Same curves, same antenna, same size, form factor, except a querty keyboard instead of w/out one..man Jeff..you gonna get bused when Ericson figures this one out..J.H. basically took this form factor and worked it into his own. Why dont you get your own originality instead of copying off of others? No wonder the Treo 600 looks so square and geeky. Cause it's based off of another phone design, without creative thinking. I actually think that Ericson looks better. smaller and looks less wide. looks more like a phone.
    Was this phone ever released even? That press release is from 2000! Furthermore it doesn't have a camera or thumbboard...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Let me get this straight: a rectangular phone with a screen, an antenna, and a couple buttons is a design unique to a particular manufacturer/model and since the Treo 600 has that same design they based it on a never-released Ericsson?

I find that accusation absolutely ridiculous. Am I alone in this?

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by gmaugham

I find that accusation absolutely ridiculous. Am I alone in this?

Geoffrey
    No, you're not.
    My friend has had a samsung smart phone for 1 year that seems to do everything that microsofts does.
    I can asure you it won't survive, unless a retro 90 is making a come back 10 years earlier
    Microsoft isn't winning everywhere, and I think the pda market is one of them. I get windows magazine and in the current issue they had a review of the tungeten T, two windows CE phones and the treo 300. And guess which one got the best review? the Treo. I think that's kind of sad, and definetily not an omen of the end of palm.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  9. purpleX
    Here you go, first review of Motorola V700. (and someone says it doesn't exist.)
    http://mobile-review.com/preview/motorola-v700-en.shtml

It vibrates, has replaceable battery, SD slot and standard phone screen. It even uses internal antenna and second screen. As you can see it doesn't turns into Gozilla as Handspring treo 600 explaination.

It will be out in Europe November for $400 bucks. The V700 will be updated in February with V710 (camera and bluetooth)

At least we know V700 won't show up in US since US will start with Smartphone 2k3. (Jan/Feb) So it might be the V710 early next year.
    rounds 1, 2, and 3 go to.................purpleX
    That phone looks cool, but man, I can hardly understand what that review is saying.

Unfortunately until I can get a phone with a keyboard, these devices interest me none.

Sure, they do a great job of putting some advanced features on a phone. That's not what I'm looking for, though.
  12. purpleX
    It's originally in Russian.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Here you go, first review of Motorola V700. (and someone says it doesn't exist.)
    http://mobile-review.com/preview/motorola-v700-en.shtml

It vibrates, has replaceable battery, SD slot and standard phone screen. It even uses internal antenna and second screen. As you can see it doesn't turns into Gozilla as Handspring treo 600 explaination.

It will be out in Europe November for $400 bucks. The V700 will be updated in February with V710 (camera and bluetooth)

At least we know V700 won't show up in US since US will start with Smartphone 2k3. (Jan/Feb) So it might be the V710 early next year.
    Yea, great -- no thumb board -- no use to me. By the time they add BT and a camera -- it won't be $400 either ... probably $600.
    It's deja vu all over again. Will this broken record ever stop?!
  15. purpleX
    Originally posted by tjd414

Yea, great -- no thumb board -- no use to me. By the time they add BT and a camera -- it won't be $400 either ... probably $600.
    It'll be $400 or under.

-----------
    More reviews and pictures. (Obviously as more reviews are out, this thing is quickly approaching launch in europe)

http://mobil.idnes.cz/mobilni_komuni...200030830.html

http://mobil.idnes.cz/mobilni_komuni...togalerie.html
  16. purpleX
    Hot dang, Microsoft is bringing the motorola into the US first, not the SPV. I guess Microsoft is using the brand name leverage. This smartphone could go somewhere fast if executed corretly.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/in...?topic_id=4104
    How does one enter text on this phone? T9?
    Looks like T9 entry to me ... no thumboard.

Hey purpleX, one of the great things about this country is that we can choose what we want. In fact, it is what makes capitalism so great ... maybe the Treo line doesn't sell in the gazillions ... it's ok ... those of us that use it appreciate it for what it does. For you it is PPC and I think that's great. I had a BB and tried PPC but I felt the Treo was better ... for what I needed. I would simply like to ask you to quit with all of this negativity. It just makes you appear to be a flack for Bill Gates or someone that gets paid to blast people's opinions.

It has gotten to the point that I just skip your posts anymore. You know what? That's too bad because I'll bet you 5 to 1 that you could have meaningful comments ... if you sounded more positive and reasonable. I would look forward to them. Just my 2. :-)
  19. purpleX
    Have you tried ignore button? It works better than dubious tirade about freedom, capitalism or whatever next. I almost expect fighting terorism in that speech as well.

PS. at 2c it's wee bit overpriced.
    ...and for proving my point. Let's see, Ignore, got it ... thanks!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast