1.    #1  
    [Preliminary Report]

Special circumstances, but I just got a Samsung SPH-i500 last week, and the thing rocks! It is truly the size of a "typical" cel phone, and the performance blows the Treo out of the water.

A few observations:

I do miss the keyboard (but the other features make it worth it).

You have to open the lid to see who is calling (no external display).

This could be problematic: I did find one spot where the i500, like the Treo, gets "turbo drain." This appears to be related to Vision in weak signal areas. I noticed the battery was getting rather warm, and when I looked at the phone, I saw one bar of battery power. The phone was fully charged about 30 minutes earlier. Disconnecting from Vision cured the problem and stopped the drain--even returning one bar of battery power.

The Address Book is a bit annoying. It only displays a one-line display, and I haven't found a way to change it to multi-line. So you can't see 3 numbers for someone (who has 3 numbers) by just scrolling up and down. You physically have to select one.

You DEFINITELY want to upgrade to Datebook 5. The Datebook built into the device is version 4.0 without the week-view (in text).

I like this: when it is on vibrate and you stick it in the charging cradle, it changes to "ring". No switch to forget to flip.

There needs to be a better "default configuration" or a concise mini-guide with "you may want to do <x> -- so here's how to do it".

I've found a couple of incompatibilties with some software suites and have notified the vendors. I would like to give vendors a chance to fix these before naming names.

I'll also list the apps I've found to work.

All-in-all, this seems to be an extremely cool product (especially the size). I'll let everyone know more later.

Joe
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I waited and waited and waited for that phone. But gave up! Switched from a Kyo 6035 to Treo 300 and am quite happy. So, I guess I won't miss the i500, but will probably get the Treo 600, more features than the i500 has to offer for the price!
    Steve M
    Steve M
    Catman51
    Happy with my T300
    Waiting for my T600
    Sounds really cool. Do you mind taking a comparison shot of it next to a Treo? Does the old processor work well? Why did you go with this instead of waiting for the SGH?
    IMHO, the i500 can go straight from the design floor to an exhibit in the Smithsonian.

The move from mono to color was nice, but now that I'm used to color (at least indoors, outdoors it's black), I'm ready for more speed (os5), expandability (SDIO), and viewability outdoors (backlight off mode).
    David
    Here's a comparison shot of the 600, 300 and i500.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c.../index.php?p=5

The WSJ's Walter Mossberg liked the i500 too. However, he qualified his praise with the caveat that the lack of a thumboard makes it inadequate for "heavy" email users. It also only uses Palm OS 4.1.

Out of frustration, I also gave up on the i500. FCC approval was granted in August 2002 and Samsung was emailing us saying it'd be out in "early 2003". According to a CompUSA business representative I spoke with, Samsung is notorious for missing release dates.

But, personally, this significant delay has been a blessing for me. I didn't blow $600 to get the i500 which I would have replaced with the Treo 600.

I'm using a 300 now that I got a great deal on and can't wait for the 600.

I don't mean to sound mean spiritied, but I'm thankful Samsung couldn't get their act together on the i500.
    Originally posted by JoeGuru
    [Preliminary Report]

Special circumstances, but I just got a Samsung SPH-i500 last week, and the thing rocks! It is truly the size of a "typical" cel phone, and the performance blows the Treo out of the water.

A few observations:

I do miss the keyboard (but the other features make it worth it).

You have to open the lid to see who is calling (no external display).

This could be problematic: I did find one spot where the i500, like the Treo, gets "turbo drain." This appears to be related to Vision in weak signal areas. I noticed the battery was getting rather warm, and when I looked at the phone, I saw one bar of battery power. The phone was fully charged about 30 minutes earlier. Disconnecting from Vision cured the problem and stopped the drain--even returning one bar of battery power.

The Address Book is a bit annoying. It only displays a one-line display, and I haven't found a way to change it to multi-line. So you can't see 3 numbers for someone (who has 3 numbers) by just scrolling up and down. You physically have to select one.

You DEFINITELY want to upgrade to Datebook 5. The Datebook built into the device is version 4.0 without the week-view (in text).

I like this: when it is on vibrate and you stick it in the charging cradle, it changes to "ring". No switch to forget to flip.

There needs to be a better "default configuration" or a concise mini-guide with "you may want to do <x> -- so here's how to do it".

I've found a couple of incompatibilties with some software suites and have notified the vendors. I would like to give vendors a chance to fix these before naming names.

I'll also list the apps I've found to work.

All-in-all, this seems to be an extremely cool product (especially the size). I'll let everyone know more later.

Joe
    Are you still happy with the i500? It is considerably smaller than the 600 will be. Does it run PDaNet?
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by kattanm

Are you still happy with the i500? It is considerably smaller than the 600 will be. Does it run PDaNet?
    I have seen it run PDAnet (on a Samsung engineer's i500). I haven't installed it myself yet. Perhaps I'll do that today.

Yes, I'm still very satisfied. I miss the thumb board, but the Treo 600 will fix that.

I have seen it run PDAnet (on a Samsung engineer's i500). I haven't installed it myself yet. Perhaps I'll do that today.

Yes, I'm still very satisfied. I miss the thumb board, but the Treo 600 will fix that.
    Are you saying you think you'd rather have the Treo 600 than the i500?
    Interestingly, the PDAnet developer told me that PDAnet definitely would not run on the i500 because it uses Treo-specific programming, and that a seperate product would be required.
  9.    #9  
    Again, I've seen Palmnet (not PDAnet... but it was Palmnet) running on an i500. Worked well.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Can you tell me where to go to get this update? Thanks.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    do you users of the i500 find that the grafitti writing pad is a bit too small.to be functional . I dont have the i500 but am considering it