Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is it 320x320 or 160x160 + pixels for phone stuff?
    The latter. At least that's my bet. The best argument is that if it was indeed hi-res they would tout that fact. As it is they are using some weird qualification that just doesn't jive if they indeed had a high res display.
  3.    #3  
    That's what I have thought, but after going through many pages, including Samsungs own pages, I am even more confused.

Some of their pages say 320x320 display, some say 160x160 (320x320 capability).

How a 160x160 screen can have a 320x320 capability is beyond me...

Anybody actually seen the device, or got some REAL screen shots?
    There are some photos on a German PUG, but you realy can't tell much.
    Originally posted by Splezunk

How a 160x160 screen can have a 320x320 capability is beyond me...
    Think of how a 1024x768 monitor can display all of a 1600x1200 image, without scrolling. This kind of thing is done every day. It could be as simple as scaling the image down and deciding on one of many available ways to handle the loss of detail.
    I posted this info in the Poll comparing the Treo600 vs SGH. I'll re-post it here in this thread:

"Just talk" is now taing pre-orders for the SGH-i500 which according to that site will be available on August 1st! That itself is a suprise until you click on "details" and read the specs:

Two displays: 1) Internal - a touchscreen, which has a resolution of 162x176 pixels (it can also support the resolution of 324x352 pixels); it is TFT-65K display, which contains up to 14 text lines. 2) External OLED display (96?64 pixels) is capable to show up to 256 colors
    http://www.just-talk.com/comesoon.php?manID=4

I really don't know what to make of this? So does it have high rez or not? I have a sinking feeling that it may be the latter...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I posted this info in the Poll comparing the Treo600 vs SGH. I'll re-post it here in this thread:

"Just talk" is now taing pre-orders for the SGH-i500 which according to that site will be available on August 1st! That itself is a suprise until you click on "details" and read the specs:

http://www.just-talk.com/comesoon.php?manID=4

I really don't know what to make of this? So does it have high rez or not? I have a sinking feeling that it may be the latter...
    As we've discussed before, this is not a surprise. I seem to remember that you said that I was spreading misinformation in that thread . These specs have been published by Samsung from the outset. I still hope I'm wrong on this, I'm just going by the specs.
    umm...sorry I don't remember that!
  9.    #9  
    If it is using some sort of downscaling technology, Will apps detect it at hires? Also what will the fonts etc. look like.

Suppose most of these questions will be sorted out when the phone is actually released.

Still tossing up on the Samsung or Treo... got a Treo 270 at the moment, and am not impressed with the support in Australia. What I will miss from the Treo is the Keyboard, but I really want the Clamshell design, and HiRes.

Otherwise the specs are about the same... SGH-i500 seems to have a faster processor though. Some report it at being 300Mhz as compared to the 140Mhz of the Treo 600.
    Screen: 324x352

This includes the padding around the side, and the status bar across the top which displays signal strength and status.
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Screen: 324x352

This includes the padding around the side, and the status bar across the top which displays signal strength and status.
    Do you have some concrete source for this info? If so, then please explain the various dcumentation above describing a resolution of 162x176 pixels? Also what do they mean it can also support 324x352 pixels?
    This Friday I was walking in a mall in Baltimore and entered a Franklin Covey. I started talking to the manager (or a worker) of the store about palms and sure enough this guy is a palm software programmer and has made popular games like Astroids and Battleship. The guy knows Jeff Hawkins and many CEOs of other palm companies (he is getting the Treo 600 exclusivly from Jeff this Friday). I then asked him if he knows anything about the Samsung SGH i500 and he is absolutly positive this smartphone IS HIGH RES. He has exclusive contact with Samsung too. I trust his word and you guys can trust me too. The phone will be high res. Cant wait!

Jonathan
    Originally posted by YoYoman412
    This Friday I was walking in a mall in Baltimore and entered a Franklin Covey. I started talking to the manager (or a worker) of the store about palms and sure enough this guy is a palm software programmer and has made popular games like Astroids and Battleship. The guy knows Jeff Hawkins and many CEOs of other palm companies (he is getting the Treo 600 exclusivly from Jeff this Friday). I then asked him if he knows anything about the Samsung SGH i500 and he is absolutly positive this smartphone IS HIGH RES. He has exclusive contact with Samsung too. I trust his word and you guys can trust me too. The phone will be high res. Cant wait!

Jonathan
    Jonathan,
    Any chance of you taking a digi-cam down to that store when your connection gets his Treo 600 and sharing them with us??
    Some new pics would be great to see!

Thanks!
    I would love to see the T600 but Im at a camp in Baltimore who takes us to different malls every Friday (I dont live in Baltimore). So I won't be able to go back and see it. I have a Prism with a VPhone so thats how Im able to get on the internet. Sorry guys.

Jonathan
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's utterly confused (and rather frustrated) by this one, as I'm leaning towards the i500 if it is hi-res. My only guess is that it may be using some sort of interlacing?!? Don't know if this works on LCD's (or maybe they all run interlaced?), but if it does, that could explain it.

Otherwise they are messing with our heads or just trying to convince us even if it's a low res screen it's still compatible with hi-res software (something I'm more than a bit concerned with about the treo). If it really is hi-res, they should can their entire marketing department for making it so confusing!

I'm a little frustrated with both the treo 600 and this thing, and considering holding out until I have a definate hi-res option is available with bluetooth for data to my laptop (and probably os6 by that time). That would convince me.
    It should be high res. When Samsung first previewed their prototype SGH-i500 at Cebit 2003 in Germany, they had essentially the same screen as that of its CDMA cousin (SPH-i500 for Sprint). But accordig to a Samsung insider (who actually worked on the SPH-i500, SPH-i700 and is currently working on the 3rd gen of the SPH-i500 ), they now have new LCDs that weren't available when the SGH was first shown to the public. Through deduction, this should mean that it now has Hi-RES.
    That makes a lot of sense b/c the pics of the screen on the SGH from Germany looked low-res. Glad to have this clarified though, cant wait for the release.

Jonathan
  18.    #18  
    I have been checking Just-talk and the days seem to count down.... then at 3 days (me getting excited now) it adds two weeks.

Anybody have some inside information on the REAL release date?
    Just want to let you know, the Samsung website on the SGH-i500 now says the screen is 324x352 with no mention of a low res 164x176 screen. Thus there should be no doubt the screen will be HIGH RES. Check it out for your self http://www.samsung.com/Features/Tech...e/SGH-i500.htm

Jonathan
    Last edited by YoYoman412; 08/04/2003 at 10:35 PM.
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole
  20.    #20  
    Just jumped from 5 days till release to 30 days.....

I don't think I will check that website for another month now..... It does tend to p1ss a person off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast