1.    #1  
    Sony is not playing guys. They recently annouced the PSP (playstation Portable?) and this thing does it all. Would you believe that this hand held will have a 16:9 screen ratio.

Read the news on this Japanese website. Use babel fish if you need a translation.

http://pcweb.mycom.co.jp/news/2003/05/28/09.html
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    As a casual to avid gamer (it depends on the week), I was thrilled when I heard the news out of the E3 show that Sony would be coming out with a portable for serious game players. (I outgrew the GameBoy platform about 10 years ago.) The specs started to filter out - widescreen...UMD disc format (essentially a half-sized DVD)...it sounded fantastic. But then I saw that diagram above.

Look, the reason the GameBoy has been so successful for so long is that (whether or not I like the platform), it does one thing, and it does it well. The PSP is starting to sound like a Clie on steroids. I get the enhanced graphics and sound - those belong in a game system - and I can even appreciate why they would choose MemoryStick over the now-standard PS2 memory card format, although there may be interoperability problems, since the PS2 doesn't have an MS slot. And since you've got the extra storage afforded by the MemoryStick, why not throw in the ability to play music?

<RANT>

But I just don't see why they would feel the need to toss in PDA functions. The PSP would be ideally market for two markets - teens and older kids, who most likely wouldn't have any need for a PDA, and adult gamers (like myself) who have long since outgrown the GB/GBA platform, and probably already have either some form of paper Day-Runner, or a proper PDA. Besides which, this thing sounds like it's going to be at LEAST the size of a NX/NV series Clie, and probably just as heavy - and I think it's been said that while that series is heavy on the cool factor, they're not very practical to carry on a daily basis. (What's more, they'd better not let the Clie team NEAR this design, or the D-pad and face buttons are going to suck HARD.)

I already have a PDA. I just spent a lot of money on a PDA a few months ago. I don't need another one, let alone one that sounds as kludgy as this. Let it be just a game/entertainment machine. Because, if for no other reason, if they turn it into a PDA, they'll price it out of everyone's reach, and it'll become another EXPENSIVE Sony failure.

Ugh. </RANT>
    What do you think, Sirs?