1.    #1  
    The M505 is back!!!

Why? Did Palm think a secound time around would make it a successful product now? Still at $249 is a good deal. I owned one for a short while and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I can say however it'll be a good starter PDA for a newbie.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    The M505 is back!!!

Why? Did Palm think a secound time around would make it a successful product now? Still at $249 is a good deal. I owned one for a short while and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I can say however it'll be a good starter PDA for a newbie.
    Wait a minute, what do you mean, "it's back"? It's back as in "Palm is trying to sell off whatever leftovers they have of this dud unit in their warehouses" or...well, I can't even think of an "or". You can't blame them for trying to sell it off, but at $249, you can get a Sony OS4 unit that runs rings around the m505.
    What do you think, Sirs?
  3. cml
    Originally posted by critic
    ...but at $249, you can get a Sony OS4 unit that runs rings around the m505.
    But can you get a Sony unit in a titanium case that can take one heck of a beating? The m505 is exactly what a corporation would be looking for to replace dead Vx's.
    Originally posted by cml
    But can you get a Sony unit in a titanium case that can take one heck of a beating? The m505 is exactly what a corporation would be looking for to replace dead Vx's.
    Unfortunately, corporations...

a). are not buying PDAs in droves. This is one of the big disappointments to PDA companies everywhere. Most of them thought that corporate sales were going to be their 'meat and potatoes'- electronic organizers with most of the functionality of laptops, WITH many aspects of a cell phone included? Companies should have been slobbering to buy them, but instead, most are sticking to laptops and cell phones.

b.) generally are not interested in buying obsolete product lines. While some businesses might see this as a major opportunity to get good tech for low price, most will see it as a way to get a massive headache when the things start to age a bit. This all assumes that the old technology REALLY meets the needs in the first place, and that it is REALLY a good value.

c.) would consider 'case durability' as only one factor in the decision, probably not even that big a factor in the long run. (Case failure is not historically a big concern)

With the big 'sell down' going on right now to clear out old stock and prepare for new models, a LOT of slightly older PDAs are going cheap. I have seen Visor Deluxes for under $75, Sony Clie N?-70s for under $300 and T665s for under $250- all new in box. Great for us, but I doubt that sales of these things is going ot make much of an impact on the overall PDA picture.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!