Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    today is the first time in about 5 or 6 months that I've checked back at the VC forum... how appropriate this thread is!!

I sold my Prism about 4 months ago and bought a Clie NZ90 about 2 months ago.
    I am disappointed with the whole Handsring thing (dont even get me started),, but must say my NZ has kept me very happy and has given me the same feeling my Prism did when I first got it.

I think much of the original excitement that was on the VC forum can be found in the ClieSource forums...
    Originally posted by Toby
    Palm just seems to have a tendency to get things _almost_ right.
    Isn't that the truth.
    The T|T has been (and still is, truly) the closest anyone has come so far for my needs/wants. I'm unlikely to go to something else for the forseeable future.
    Interestingly enough, I'd pretty much discounted the T|T because of its $100 premium over the zire 71. However, since I found the T|T at global for $299 and I forsee using the flash RAM more than I'd use the camera, I'm leaning toward a T|T. The only downside is having purchased office software (which would be redundant with the T|T) and having purchased no multimedia software (which the Zire has).

Makes me wonder what the screen difference is between the two and how long before Palm releases OS 5.2 for the T|T. On-screen writing and the T|T are all but made for each other.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    FWIW, I intend to get a T|T just as soon as my wife recovers from the shock of my last purchase. I got a bt phone to replace the melted treo with that in mind. Time for divergence....
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Interestingly enough, I'd pretty much discounted the T|T because of its $100 premium over the zire 71.
    Well, the Z71 didn't even exist when I got the T|T. Even today, I think it's worth the $100 premium all things considered for my needs. OTOH, I didn't have the upgraded versions of DocsToGo and whatnot already.
    However, since I found the T|T at global for $299 and I forsee using the flash RAM more than I'd use the camera, I'm leaning toward a T|T. The only downside is having purchased office software (which would be redundant with the T|T) and having purchased no multimedia software (which the Zire has).
    The multimedia software the Z71 has is freely available for download for the T|T except for the crippled version of Kinoma producer included with the Z71.
    Makes me wonder what the screen difference is between the two and how long before Palm releases OS 5.2 for the T|T. On-screen writing and the T|T are all but made for each other.
    Well, where the screens are concerned, it really depends on where the majority of your PDA use is, IMO. If the overwhelming majority is inside use, the Z71 has a definite edge in inside lighting (although my T|T has never looked bad in any of my inside lighting conditions, just the Z71 looks better). The reverse is true for outside lighting conditions. My usage is split evenly, though. I'm not sure when/if Palm SG is going to release a 5.2 update for the T|T, though. On-screen writing doesn't have to wait, though. I've been doing that since November using NewPen on my T|T. There's also Grafitti Anywhere which does pretty much the same thing. Considering the activation method for onscreen grafitti in OS 5.2.1, though, I wonder if they didn't license NewPen (GA activates by button instead).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    The multimedia software the Z71 has is freely available for download for the T|T except for the crippled version of Kinoma producer included with the Z71.
    Well, so it is. I missed the 'crippled' part the first time around.

Well, where the screens are concerned, it really depends on where the majority of your PDA use is, IMO.
    About 50/50. Just stopped by the officemax today and they had the zire 71 in. I'll be walking out Friday with the T|T if I can get them to honor global's advertised price. The camera is nice, but for the money, I'd rather have the size/flash RAM. I also forgot I had purchased AeroPlayer about 6 mos. ago in anticipation of owning a pda that would support it. That just leaves a multimedia app and an SD card that can hold an hour long program. They both will be able to connect to my cell phone, and the T|T will be wireless at home as well.

Which reminds me, Toby/septimus: do you happen to know of a decent set of ear buds?

I'm not sure when/if Palm SG is going to release a 5.2 update for the T|T, though. On-screen writing doesn't have to wait, though. I've been doing that since November using NewPen on my T|T. There's also Grafitti Anywhere which does pretty much the same thing. Considering the activation method for onscreen grafitti in OS 5.2.1, though, I wonder if they didn't license NewPen (GA activates by button instead).
    NewPen looks nice. Having tried Jot with the zire at officemax, though, I'd still much prefer to have OS 5.2 on the T|T. That just felt...right.
    -Joshua
    Which reminds me, Toby/septimus: do you happen to know of a decent set of ear buds?
    I'm no audiophile (as evidenced by the fact that I use earbuds instead of them big headphones), and my sony earbuds don't have any branding on them beyond "Sony." They were 20 bucks. They sound very good when you hold them in your ear, so-so when they rest there (Bass dissapears).

NewPen looks nice. Having tried Jot with the zire at officemax, though, I'd still much prefer to have OS 5.2 on the T|T. That just felt...right.
    This was a couple months ago, but I found that recoecho was MUCH better than newpen on my treo.
    Well, so it is. I missed the 'crippled' part the first time around.
    Yeah, they don't advertise that the version of Kinoma producer it comes with can't be adjusted at all. But you can get a special upgrade price of $29.99 for the full version.
    About 50/50. Just stopped by the officemax today and they had the zire 71 in. I'll be walking out Friday with the T|T if I can get them to honor global's advertised price. The camera is nice, but for the money, I'd rather have the size/flash RAM. I also forgot I had purchased AeroPlayer about 6 mos. ago in anticipation of owning a pda that would support it. That just leaves a multimedia app and an SD card that can hold an hour long program. They both will be able to connect to my cell phone, and the T|T will be wireless at home as well.
    You should probably keep an eye open at http://www.mmplayer.com. They have a rough alpha version of a real mpeg player.
    Well, I've heard the Sony Groove 228s are decent enough. I've also heard Sennheiser MX500s are a good complement. I've just bought a pair of 'The Plug' earbud by Koss that sound pretty good as well.
    Didn't play with it much.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by kalahari

He's still around spreading his message about screen protectors!!!

You can see one of his recent posts on Google groups in which he claims to have the only "authorized" screen protector!
    I just think it's funny that after all his blustering, Fellowes is still chucking out the WriteRights. Any "authorizing" that needs to be done has apparently been done.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    "Hmm, you must be very brave to mention his name....or very foolish."
    Heck, I'm ashamed of myself for not catching your reference until now!! (Watched it again last night)
    Just stopped by the officemax today and they had the zire 71 in. I'll be walking out Friday with the T|T if I can get them to honor global's advertised price.
    How did that pricematch work out for you? I haven't tried anything like that with the locals here, but I sure wouldn't mind not waiting around for a TT to ship....
    Originally posted by septimus

How did that pricematch work out for you? I haven't tried anything like that with the locals here, but I sure wouldn't mind not waiting around for a TT to ship....
    Didn't work for crap. I still took home the T|T, I'm just going to have to wait for the extras I was going to purchase with it.

If the ~$75 premium isn't worth the shipping time for you, buy it online. My experience with OfficeMax has made just about anything worth the wait from this point on...
    -Joshua
    Interesting thread... like others I've drifted away from this forum over the years but I'm still going to be using Visors for the foreseeable future. My son (now 14) has broken the screens on 2 Visor Deluxes prompting upgrades to a Neo and a Platinum (bought new after the Neo was no longer available). We have three 8MB Backup Modules (lifesavers!) and an 8MB Flash Module that I use for Mapopolis Maps. I also have a Pro (and 16MB Backup Module) that I use at school (I've been teaching for about a year now...). Everything works so I see no reason to rock the boat.
    stealth mode off

i'm still around (about once or twice a week). the "Visorcentral" on my Favourites list still sits at the top, haunting me as i type this!

i moved back to canada back in May 2001 and actually got a job that doesn't let me post here every half hour!! ahhh...the good ol'days. I, like Gameboy, decided i wanted some more real life in my life and less internet. so i'm doing a lot more 'outdoors' stuff since moving back to canada.

as for my pda history, i went from my blue deluxe to a blue edge about a year ago and now i'm SERIOUSLY considering switching to the new iPod. With Calendar, contacts, and now text reader that takes care of Datebook, contacts, and memopad so i'm pretty much set! Plus i get to carry around 7465784736758 songs!

i basically use my edge as a reference so the switch to the 'non-input' iPod wouldn't phase me too much. Only problem is the price...although the canadian dollar has been rising lately!

nice to see some old names....

stealth mode back on
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  14.    #94  
    Originally posted by Hoser_back_home
    stealth mode off

i'm still around (about once or twice a week). the "Visorcentral" on my Favourites list still sits at the top, haunting me as i type this! . . . .

. . . i basically use my edge as a reference so the switch to the 'non-input' iPod wouldn't phase me too much. Only problem is the price...although the canadian dollar has been rising lately!

nice to see some old names....

stealth mode back on
    Dude, you gotta hook me up with that cool cloaking device, I could d...oh dam he's gone.

Thanks for coming anyway.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 05/09/2003 at 12:51 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Man is that T|T a nice unit. I spend last night getting everything into it, the only thing that I can't get working is my dictionary DA (I can still look up the word in the app itself, but I miss clicking in a word and getting its definition immediately).

My HE330 has been placed into the Pantheon of Revered PDA's. Unfortunately, considering my pda history, it's the only one in there at this point. <ponders> Well over a year with the same pda... </ponders>

I'm going to miss the 2 month battery life...
    -Joshua
    Wow, It is interesting seeing some of the old faces again. I find myself on Palminfocenter most of the time. I used to split about 50/50 between Visorcentral and PIC, now it is more 60%PIC, 20% Brighthand, 10% PDA Buzz and 10% Treocentral & Visorcentral.
    I was a Handspring reseller for quite a while, and sold a lot of units for them. After the Treo came out, I had a chance to sell a batch to a local company. I got the run-around from Handspring, as they told me I had to resubmit a new application in order to sell Treo's. Bah-Humbug... I did not have the two weeks to wait to get approved. That episode kind of left a bad handspring taste in my mouth.
    I still use my Trusty Treo 90 and Visor Prism daily (Prism for WI-FI browsing at the house) - and my wife uses a Platinum. I will soon be moving up to a Palm Tungsten C - It seems like a nice upgrade for my '90.
    Nice seeing you all again, and I will keep coming back to VC for as long as the server is up!
    Doug
    visit us at www.tdscomputer.com
    Man is that T|T a nice unit.
    You aren't kidding. I ebay'ed it, just got it yesterday. Easily the best fit & finish I've ever had on a handheld.. Handspring's edge was a solid device, but that thing was sloppy compared to this.

I didn't think that the 14 megs of ram would make that much of an impact (I had been using the 16 meg treo), but I've had to make some sacrifices... Looks like I'll be getting an expansion card (it's nice to have that option!)

Bluetooth is nice, though I've haven't gotten it playing nice with T-Mobile's GPRS yet. Not having to use T9 to send SMS messages is nice, tho.

Overall, big big fan.
    Originally posted by septimus
    You aren't kidding. I ebay'ed it, just got it yesterday. Easily the best fit & finish I've ever had on a handheld.. Handspring's edge was a solid device, but that thing was sloppy compared to this. [...]
    Uh-oh...me, diet, and **** all have the same PDA. That can't be a good sign. Kitty really is scared now.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Slot!!! good to see you could make it.

Foo has a Zire 71 already? Man you don't waste time. Nice device. How's the display on it? I've read its fairly bright. I still love my NX70v though

Ok guys, I'm ordering pizza. Hmm, I think we'll need quite a few pies. No anchovies please

As far as drinks goes, where that guy that who set up Bar taps for a living? Haven't seen him post here in a long time. I think he had that stick figure avatar.
    Well dang, I stop checking this thread, and you guys order pizza! Off subject, but I went to a 10:00 Wed night debut of "Reloaded". They did a good job of introducing new concepts for us to ponder about. We're having a "Matrix Barbeque" at our house tomorrow, after we leave a 12:15pm showing.

****-Rich, congrats on the T|T!! I love that thing.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  20.    #100  
    Originally posted by slotmachine

Well dang, I stop checking this thread, and you guys order pizza! Off subject, but I went to a 10:00 Wed night debut of "Reloaded". They did a good job of introducing new concepts for us to ponder about. We're having a "Matrix Barbeque" at our house tomorrow, after we leave a 12:15pm showing.

****-Rich, congrats on the T|T!! I love that thing.

Saw it day one. Loved it. Can't wait for part 3.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast