Why do I want to sign up for the ny times?
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  2.    #3  
    Originally posted by EricG
    Why do I want to sign up for the ny times?
    Those who have already signed up would have seen an article about Michelin giving away free Zires to those who buy 4 tires. You want to register because it's free and the NYT is a wonderful news site.
    Well, a Palm Zire certainly makes a better gift than 99% of the other 'PDAs' offered as incentives! Most of these other PDAs are barely worthy of the title 'electronic device', let alone 'PDA'.

Actually, it would be pretty cool if they bundled it with some auto-related software, etc. and a decent handout on using a PDA.

In the bigger picture, people might actually start using the dang things, sales might perk up a bit, people would upgrade... The more users there are, the more innovation and options develop, and the lower prices will drop.

While I share the general dislike for the 'kiddy-PDA' Zire, I think that this is actually a prety decent promotion.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
  4.    #5  
    Really? It strikes me as completely crazy. I mean how much do the two have in common? You can't even use the two at the same time (unless someone else is driving).
  5. cml
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    You can't even use the two at the same time (unless someone else is driving).
    ... it's good that you believe that but I've seen it done.

- CML
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    You can't even use the two at the same time (unless someone else is driving).
    News to me!!
    Tire places have given away tire gauges, travel cups, and so on for years. YAWN! Around here, at least, car phones (either car-shaped, or the older 'bag phones') were popular promotions for years.

I think that the Zire is a decent premium. I'D certainly consider getting Michelins instead of something else with an offer like this.

Besides, a PDA is the perfect travel accessory- keep your mileage and expenses, maps, travel information, important phone numbers, car maintainence schedule, etc. in one central place. It also serves the vital role of giving passengers something to do besides bothering the driver. My PDA has nearly saved someone's life more than once when I handed it to one of my bored and complaining kids.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!