Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

If you're stuck using android, you might miss the gestures and feel of webOS. I've put together a guide to help you make android as much like webOS as possible. The customization only works with the Dirty Unicorns ROM, but fortunately, there is an official release for the Nexus 4, which a lot of us have

Here are some videos of the results:

A comparison with the Pre3:

A slightly improved version, with Wave Launcher and Roundr:

Alan posted the how-to guide on PivotCE: https://pivotce.com/2016/09/04/guest...os-in-android/
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    I posted it but you wrote it!

I've now followed the guide and loaded it to my Nexus 4. Works great. There are a couple things you have to accept. If you want rounded corners and the wave launcher, you will have persistent notifications on your notification area in android. You can toggle those off but the apps likely won't work. Your choice.

Getting all of the icons is by far the most tedious thing! I'm trying to build a folder of them to upload later.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    guilledil and Shuswap like this.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I followed this detailed guide on my Moto G3 but couldn't get the swipe back gesture from DU to work until I disabled GMD gestures...
    Thank you Alan for helping me
    I would also love to have a higher resolution wallpaper.

Thank you I love this community!

photo_2016-09-07_14-16-27.jpg

Attached are the fonts I extracted from my pixi.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mottybig; 09/08/2016 at 02:40 PM.
    Does this method include forward swipe? That's the one thing i really love about webOS.

There's times when you go back, but then want to immediately go forward again. As far as i know, Android has no Ctrl-Y function.

Undo and Redo are critically important commands to me. It's not the same as just a Back button. I don't know why these don't exist in android. Unless I've missed them?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  5.    #5  
    I just looked through the commands available on the Fling nav bar, and there are no forward or redo options. That would have been nice.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09/09/2016 at 06:51 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mottybig View Post
    I followed this detailed guide on my Moto G3 but couldn't get the swipe back gesture from DU to work until I disabled GMD gestures...
    Thank you Alan for helping me
    I would also love to have a higher resolution wallpaper.

Thank you I love this community!

photo_2016-09-07_14-16-27.jpg

Attached are the fonts I extracted from my pixi.
    I have the wallpapers from my Pre3, and they display better. I'll try to add the Just Type bar and will post them here.

With GMD, did you delete all of the gestures except the up-swipe one? It sounds like GMD was stealing the focus/intercepting the gesture when you backswiped. There are a couple of alternatives to GMD. All in one gestures is probably the next best option to try.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    This is just what I was looking for. Unfortunately with BB android you can't root or introduce custom ROMs. Verizon still won't push patches or Marshmallow. They are 221 CVE's behind every other carrier (including AT&T which has been only slightly delayed) and refuse to enable features like VVM or wifi calling. This will be the last Verizon phone for me. First they helped kill WebOS with their biased marketing and then this. I get daily emails to "upgrade" my 6 month old Priv to an iPhone.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    I have the wallpapers from my Pre3, and they display better. I'll try to add the Just Type bar and will post them here.
    Thanks!!

With GMD, did you delete all of the gestures except the up-swipe one? It sounds like GMD was stealing the focus/intercepting the gesture when you backswiped. There are a couple of alternatives to GMD. All in one gestures is probably the next best option to try.
    I deleted all other gestures, still didn't work.
    tried now all in one but I don't like that they are using accessibility...
    What is the point with GMD I can maybe try to figure it out on my own.
  9.    #9  
    Here's a new set of wallpapers.

Edit: I just realized that I sized everything on the LG G2, and they may not look right on other phones. They're done with PowerPoint (LibreOffice Impress, actually), so if anyone wants the originals, I can zip them up and attach them too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09/11/2016 at 12:00 PM.
    Just switched to DU on my Nexus 5 and I'm quite happy with what I've got going. Just finished getting it back on its feet!
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    This is just what I was looking for. Unfortunately with BB android you can't root or introduce custom ROMs. Verizon still won't push patches or Marshmallow. They are 221 CVE's behind every other carrier (including AT&T which has been only slightly delayed) and refuse to enable features like VVM or wifi calling. This will be the last Verizon phone for me. First they helped kill WebOS with their biased marketing and then this. I get daily emails to "upgrade" my 6 month old Priv to an iPhone.
    So this cannot be made to work on a Priv?

They are morons. I was ready to buy one simply because of this. All i want is an LTE phone with physical keyboard
    AND gestures.
    Shu, the videos i just watched looked very impressive. But i also had a problem recognizing what was vs was not like webOS. I guess if i could watch in slow motion...

... So what is NOT like webOS? It looked like to minimize to a card you could upswipe, but to close the minimized card you must side swipe. The couldn't be improved?

It looked like the app drawer was divided into panes like webOS. Can they be named? Can their icons be sorted manually or are they default alphabetical only?

The instructions looked very clear, yet I'm overwhelmed by the amount of steps. Anyone creating an installer exe i can buy and run??

I'd really like to do this to my Nexus 7 and newly acquired GS4 that's supposed to replace my Pre2 as soon as i stop procrastinating.

I wanted one of those Touchstone compatible back covers too but missed it on fleabay

I appreciate any help on webOSifying my droid devices!
    this is interesting. see the link. a penalty that is only nougat

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=68516615

Enviado desde mi XT1563 mediante Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Shu, the videos i just watched looked very impressive. But i also had a problem recognizing what was vs was not like webOS. I guess if i could watch in slow motion...

... So what is NOT like webOS? It looked like to minimize to a card you could upswipe, but to close the minimized card you must side swipe. The couldn't be improved?

It looked like the app drawer was divided into panes like webOS. Can they be named? Can their icons be sorted manually or are they default alphabetical only?

The instructions looked very clear, yet I'm overwhelmed by the amount of steps. Anyone creating an installer exe i can buy and run??
    1. A lot is not like Android. We can't easily mod the app switcher for starters.

2. You don't have to do all the steps. It's divided into various sections, like I set up Fling as a gesture area, but didn't use Roundr or mod the icons.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  16.    #16  

I'd really like to do this to my Nexus 7 and newly acquired GS4 that's supposed to replace my Pre2 as soon as i stop procrastinating.

I wanted one of those Touchstone compatible back covers too but missed it on fleabay

I appreciate any help on webOSifying my droid devices!
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    1. A lot is not like Android. We can't easily mod the app switcher for starters.

2. You don't have to do all the steps. It's divided into various sections, like I set up Fling as a gesture area, but didn't use Roundr or mod the icons.
    I'd second both of these responses. There was a webOS-like app switcher for earlier versions of cyanogenmod, so it can be done, but I don't have those kind of skills. I half-jokingly suggested to Alan that we should start a kickstarter campaign, but in the end, I want LuneOS and a fully open source community-driven system a lot more.

xandros9 is also correct about the 'a la carte' nature of the mods. Just choose the steps you want. There's no reason to do them all at once, and you can leave out any of the steps you don't care about. We actually did worry about making the guide too long and comprehensive, but then decided that it would be better to add every change we made. I'd love to create a ROM with all the changes incorporated, but I've never created a vanilla ROM, much less a customized one.

With respect to your other questions, the upswipe behaves much like the upswipe in webOS. If you're on the home screen, it opens the app drawer. If you're in an app, it takes you back to the home screen. The problem, of course, is that the cards are not on the home screen, so you have to tap the gesture area to bring up the recent apps screen (with the cards), and yes, you do have to sideways swipe them to get rid of them. I actually fooled around with an app that put just the recent apps screen into landscape so that the cards were sideways and I could up-swipe them, but it was annoying.

If you buy the paid version of Nova Launcher, you can divide the app drawer into panes, but as far as I know, you cannot rearrange app icons in the panes. They're organized alphabetically.

Overall, with the changes we've made, I can live with Android. It's not exactly like webOS, but it's close, it's much nicer to navigate, and you get the benefit of newer hardware and all those apps.

That being said, the Pre3 is my daily driver, and I don't see that changing in the near future. I use my webOS-ified LG G2 as a mini tablet.

One more thing: if you want to do this with specific android devices, you need to find out whether there is a Dirty Unicorns ROM for those devices, because it's the only ROM (as of now) that has the Fling launcher. Fling has been open sourced though, and the source code is posted somewhere, so it's possible that it might get added to other ROMs in the future.

You won't be able to do this with a BlackBerry Priv. If you could, I would have bought one when they were on deep discount about a month ago. You can't root the Priv or unlock the bootloader, and both are required to install the DU ROM.
    Preemptive and xandros9 like this.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    So this cannot be made to work on a Priv?

They are morons. I was ready to buy one simply because of this. All i want is an LTE phone with physical keyboard
    AND gestures.
    Let's say that it won't be easy. I was surprised that people were able to hack and merge existing autoloaders and still have it function so I may not be correct. This phone would be a perfect LuneOS flagship phone.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Let's say that it won't be easy. I was surprised that people were able to hack and merge existing autoloaders and still have it function so I may not be correct. This phone would be a perfect LuneOS flagship phone.
    since the thing is crashing and burning, do you think we could persuade BB to contract with DU and LuneOS to make a launcher that mimics webOS meets OUR NEEDS? Then we'd do a group buy?

yeah, i know. fantasyland.
  19.    #19  
    since the thing is crashing and burning, do you think we could persuade BB to contract with DU and LuneOS to make a launcher that mimics webOS meets OUR NEEDS? Then we'd do a group buy?

yeah, i know. fantasyland.
    I really like the idea of a group buy involving some kind of slider, when LuneOS is ready. Since it would have to have an open bootloader, it might be attractive to people interested in Sailfish, other Android ROMs, etc. Maybe that would get us the necessary critical mass. A Chinese company called MPIE made a Q10-like device a couple of years ago, but with a 3G band that was useless in North America. I keep an eye on Aliexpress for potential devices.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I really like the idea of a group buy involving some kind of slider, when LuneOS is ready. Since it would have to have an open bootloader, it might be attractive to people interested in Sailfish
    There is a Sailfish port to Motorola Photon Q https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...77#post1515077. Horizontal slider, but still better than keyless slab.
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Shuswap likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast