Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By volka
  • 1 Post By horzel
  • 1 Post By Andrew Hunt
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    So... I picked up a cheap N4 - due to it having screen issues.

    It seems generally OK (if it doesn't get any worse), but I thought I'd post to see if anyone has any experience / advice / tips / ideas.

    I found a video demonstrating the issue:


    I can see the sort of lighter bars long the length of the screen on boot up and when starting the camera, but not so much in the normal view. Any thoughts? Could the screen connector to motherboard be loose? Or is the screen on it's way out? I assume it's H/W, not S/W.

    I might just leave it as it is, but if I do have to open it, is there any prospect of upgrading from 8 to 16 Gb? (EDIT: I think not)

    All in all it's a bit of a bargain as a LuneOS test device. I wasn't actually expecting to get it for the amount I bid.

    If I find any useful information elsewhere, I'll add it to this thread.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/22/2015 at 10:12 AM.
  2.    #2  
    This looks like the same problem:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=124

    The thread it's on seems to cover multiple screen issues - mainly a flicker effect under certain circumstances like non-oem charger use or music player controls on the lockscreen. I don't have any flicker.

    At the moment, I'm assuming it's H/W as this issue might be related to minor drop impacts (best case, a connector is loose, worst case: screen damage). What's interesting is that highlights like the battery and wifi icons tend to streak down the screen and the lines move with highlights. On boot, the android logo sits in a green column. It's like bright areas are cross talking across the length of the display - maybe it's the back light, if there's some dynamic control there. Screen shots are normal, so it's definitely something in the display system.
    High contrast or dark flat colours look bad, but often the display looks normal.

    There's a suggestion that it might be a coding issue (this phone's on Lollipop I think). Something about layers in a build.prop file. It's possible that rooting and reverting the S/W for LuneOS might fix this, but I'm doubtful.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/23/2015 at 05:36 PM.
  3. volka's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    (...)

    At the moment, I'm assuming it's H/W as this issue might be related to minor drop impacts (best case, a connector is loose, worst case: screen damage).

    (...)
    Have you tried tearing it down, cleaning it and reassembling it? If neither this nor a reflash of android helps, its probably something out of standart home-repair possibilitys.

    ifixit teardown link: https://de.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781
    Preemptive likes this.
  4. #4  
    Happy owner of a second hand N4 as well.
    Just a tip, at the beginning I had lots of troubles charging battery wise.

    Suddenly loosing its charge, and then not able to get it charged, heaving a red light in the notification area.

    But I never used the supplied charger, always the 1 amp long barrel charges that came with the Touchpad.

    Now using either a 500 barrel chargers or the original it doe charge fine.

    So do not use the Touchpad chargers to charge a N4

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Preemptive likes this.
  5. #5  
    My Nexus 4 has some issues like that, but my touch didn't want to work on ROMs based on Android 4.2. The display easily shows burn-in like on AMOLEDs after years of the same image. I think it's a HW problem for yours if it looks that bad.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    Preemptive likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies.

    It's an IPS screen that apparently "Doesn't get burn-in", but can get "image retention" (?) I think the difference is that the latter is reversible. I think I have the OEM charger, so I'm not too worried there.

    As I haven't done anything with this phone yet, I'm a bit reluctant to take it apart. I read that the battery is glued in and that removal can be tricky / cause damage. My position is that the phone basically works and there's an outside chance that changing the S/W may fix the problem. The plan for now:
    1. Try software change.
    2. Open it, clean and check connectors are properly seated.
    3. (If it worsens) Replace the screen.

    The Nexus 5X & 6P were recently released and there is the Nexus 5. No doubt there are quite a few other possible port targets. It may well be that when LuneOS is ready for daily use, it will quickly be ported to newer hardware, so I'm not to worried if the 'intermediate' device isn't perfect, but if it remains the main target for a while, it may be worth a fix or buying a better quality one.

    Mini review: The N4 isn't as big in my hand as I feared, but the large, thin slab doesn't fit my hand like a Pre. It feels like it would be easy to drop or damage, though it is nice looking - for a black slab! This one is running Lollipop. At the moment, I'm not sure on the battery life - it doesn't look great. The back button will get me out of an app, but then I find they are still running (battery!) so the square button takes me to a sort of card view where they can be properly closed - maybe I should be pushing this first, but it seems clunky. I assume I have the stock 'factory reset'. It seems all the apps want me to sign into Google! Android does seem to have lots of features, but lacks a smooth UI.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/23/2015 at 10:40 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Oh, here's a question! This phone needs a mini SIM card...

    So I suppose I need a new mini one with an adaptor for the Pre3. I don't think I'll be allowed two SIMs on one account.
  8. #8  
    Be super super super super super picky and careful with SIM adapters or you will risk destroying the contacts in your Pre3. If the SIM isn't tight in the adapter, or if there are any gaps, or the adapter is too thick, don't use it.
    Preemptive likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Be super super super super super picky and careful with SIM adapters or you will risk destroying the contacts in your Pre3. If the SIM isn't tight in the adapter, or if there are any gaps, or the adapter is too thick, don't use it.
    Not urgent until LuneOS can make a call...
  10. #10  
    I can recommend a nice case and Sim adapter kit

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Preemptive likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Just to OT my own thread...

    I've downloaded ADB & Fastboot. I got this: https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images#occam

    A couple of items in the extracted files seemed to be installed, but it failed on the zip file saying there were no .sig files (there aren't). The zip contains 5 files: boot, recovery, system, userdata (all .img) & android-info.txt

    So I tried Clockworkmod (6.0.4.7), which worked OK. I tried running it and it asked me if I wanted to root the phone. This isn't mentioned much in any of the instructions I've read and I'd assumed the unlocked bootloader meant is WAS rooted. I've had trouble running some commands that were prefaced ./ , so maybe that was why (I wrote the adb_usb.ini file by hand). So via that I tried sideloading the zip, but this also failed.

    It still boots OK - to 5.1.1. Should I check the image files or have I missed something? If the Occam tar is corrupt, it's odd that specific files are missing, not corrupt or listed as 0bytes...

    Maybe someone can recommend a Linux MD5 checker...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Just to OT my own thread...

    I've downloaded ADB & Fastboot. I got this: https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images#occam

    A couple of items in the extracted files seemed to be installed, but it failed on the zip file saying there were no .sig files (there aren't). The zip contains 5 files: boot, recovery, system, userdata (all .img) & android-info.txt

    So I tried Clockworkmod (6.0.4.7), which worked OK. I tried running it and it asked me if I wanted to root the phone. This isn't mentioned much in any of the instructions I've read and I'd assumed the unlocked bootloader meant is WAS rooted. I've had trouble running some commands that were prefaced ./ , so maybe that was why (I wrote the adb_usb.ini file by hand). So via that I tried sideloading the zip, but this also failed.

    It still boots OK - to 5.1.1. Should I check the image files or have I missed something? If the Occam tar is corrupt, it's odd that specific files are missing, not corrupt or listed as 0bytes...

    Maybe someone can recommend a Linux MD5 checker...
    What exactly are you trying to do by flashing those? Also, was the file you downloaded the same version as the one installed on the phone?
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hunt View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do by flashing those? Also, was the file you downloaded the same version as the one installed on the phone?
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what you're asking, so I'll go through it.

    I opted for Android tools over the full SDK because it first seemed that I needed to be running Ubuntu to install the SDK (I think it now seems I can install it on my system: Mint), The SDK is a large download and I don't plan to develop Android apps.

    As I understand it, ADB is the Android equivalent of Novacom and allows me to connect to the system over USB.
    I guess fastboot allows me to reboot the system remotely and install system images etc.

    Occam appears to be the version of Android 4.2.2 for the Nexus 4. Android 4.2.2 EXACTLY is required to install LuneOS - presumably because those are the driver versions it is designed to work with currently. I think that once this is installed, I can use fastboot and / or Clockworkmod to install the LuneOS image and point to that in the bootloader.

    Occam is a tgz file that I extracted to a folder. From that folder, when running flash-all.sh, the three images, bootloader-mako, clockwork-recovery & radio-mako appear to install OK, but there is a problem with the remaining parts of the system, which are contained in a image-occam-jdq39.zip file.

    If you are asking about the 'system', then, No: the phone has Android 5.1.1 installed and I am attempting to install 4.2.2 (as it is required). So the file I've downloaded is not the same as the one installed on the phone.

    I'm wondering if I need to extract the zip manually or if there is some other issue blocking the install process of the zip. I assume I'm running flash-all.sh and that flash-all.bat is for windows. The instructions I've seen don't specify the file suffix and I have two files called 'flash-all'.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/01/2015 at 03:00 PM.
  14. #14  
    I wrote you an email. It gives you a separate way to do this now that the modem is installed.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Preemptive likes this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what you're asking, so I'll go through it.

    I opted for Android tools over the full SDK because it first seemed that I needed to be running Ubuntu to install the SDK (I think it now seems I can install it on my system: Mint), The SDK is a large download and I don't plan to develop Android apps.

    As I understand it, ADB is the Android equivalent of Novacom and allows me to connect to the system over USB.
    I guess fastboot allows me to reboot the system remotely and install system images etc.

    Occam appears to be the version of Android 4.2.2 for the Nexus 4. Android 4.2.2 EXACTLY is required to install LuneOS - presumably because those are the driver versions it is designed to work with currently. I think that once this is installed, I can use fastboot and / or Clockworkmod to install the LuneOS image and point to that in the bootloader.

    Occam is a tgz file that I extracted to a folder. From that folder, when running flash-all.sh, the three images, bootloader-mako, clockwork-recovery & radio-mako appear to install OK, but there is a problem with the remaining parts of the system, which are contained in a image-occam-jdq39.zip file.

    If you are asking about the 'system', then, No: the phone has Android 5.1.1 installed and I am attempting to install 4.2.2 (as it is required). So the file I've downloaded is not the same as the one installed on the phone.

    I'm wondering if I need to extract the zip manually or if there is some other issue blocking the install process of the zip. I assume I'm running flash-all.sh and that flash-all.bat is for windows. The instructions I've seen don't specify the file suffix and I have two files called 'flash-all'.
    I downloaded a copy of 4.2.2 for my Nexus 4 and tried it in both Windows and Ubuntu, and they both worked fine. I can't understand your issue. Maybe its a Mint thing, but that shouldn't be the reason. I would try redownloading the files. Are the zip, flash script, and other image files in the same folder?
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B

Similar Threads

  1. Screen issues
    By Jakeeeee in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06/16/2010, 09:46 AM
  2. screen issues
    By jorgesicas in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03/26/2010, 01:16 AM
  3. Odd screen issues?
    By tobias funke in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03/25/2010, 09:18 AM
  4. Issues with phone screen and lock screen...
    By ntjoe in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03/13/2010, 09:17 AM
  5. screen issues?
    By kiesha in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03/06/2009, 04:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions