Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1.    #1  
    Looking into the future and I don't know what I would buy?
    I have a Galaxy but not an Android fan. Veer is still my daily driver.
    I like the look of the BB Z10 and am told the OS is about as close to WebOS as there is out there but the phone is getting a little on the big side.
    Who has tried what and how do they compare?
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I like the look of the BB Z10 and am told the OS is about as close to WebOS as there is out there but the phone is getting a little on the big side.
    So far I'm liking my Classic a lot. Just today found Universal Search and Quick Actions.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    The z10 is a nice size. Not too big. Probably one of the nicest virtual keyboards I've ever used.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I am looking at the BB passport
    1. Keyboard
    2. Big battery
    3. Lots of memory
    4. Looks like a phone where i could read an email and respond to it without a battle
    5. Might even be able to remote login to my work server and issue a few commands

What say you?
    Another pre3 isn't an option?? (just kidding)
    I'm looking jolla device, firefox OS... in the hope that any of them make a physical keyboard model. Android for me isn't an option, I don't like it. iPhone are too expensives for me at the moment, WPhones are an option but the lack of keyboard is a negative point... so I'm waiting for any of the smaller players to make a model that makes me say "UOUOUO" like the pre made.

Perhaps alcatel will release something? LG?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    I'm looking jolla device, firefox OS... in the hope that any of them make a physical keyboard model.
    There's keyboard other half for Jolla (3rd party); second revision prototype was shown not long ago: 2nd Revision of QWERTY Keyboard OtherHalf Demoed | Jolla Users Blog

As for me, I have just bought Pre2 to replace my crumbling Pre+ and will go Jolla when my N9 fails (for a reason, I have to bear two phones and a bunch of sip numbers as well :/ - and I hate phone calls...) Any other hw will be determined by LuneOS availability.

@tracks914 -- if you're thinking about BB10, consider Jolla as well; for me BB10 interface seems more a ripoff of Nokia's Meego *) (just like Playbook was, erm, heavily influenced by WebOS), so there's a chance you'd find new interface from old Meego team interesting.

*) disclaimer: I have played with BB Z10 for about ten minutes, so my impression may be inaccurate.
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I'm hoping that the Blackberry announcements at MWC in a couple weeks will have the keyboard slider rumored. It sure sounds like the experience will be like a Pre with it's slide-out keyboard and the OS is not too afield of WebOS.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    looking at BB

LG flip > Palm Pre
    I heard the end is near for air cooled engines too.

Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Grabber5.0 and zane9000 like this.
    The end of HP services maybe near, but the end of our webOS phones is whatever we make it. I don't have time to hunt them down, but there have been a number of 'what device works well for a former webOS user' discussions already with recommendations and tips.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/24/2015 at 06:03 PM.
    TJs11thPre and Shuswap like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I got an iPhone 6, I honestly have no idea why you people hate Apple so much
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    My wife and daughter have iPhones and my son works for Apple so you know what he has. They are ok, but nothing like the WebOS experience. WIth each new release, my son tells me how many thing were changed to be more like WebOS. My personal experiences with my family's iPhones has not be pleasurable. Very little is intuitive and I'm constantly asking how to find what I need though the unnecessary steps introduced by bad design judgement. That said, my Android experience is on par with that of Apple. Windows phones just don't appeal to me.

I own a high-end Apple laptop for software development and Apple's lack of compatibility between new OS releases is highly frustrating. My customers are big and I have to take the flack when things break. I have to take several days to figure out what they broke each time.

The BlackBerry seems a smaller step backwards than the others. This may prove a bad decision but it's taken a lot of research and effort to come to this resolve.

BTW, I'll be hanging on to my Pre 3 until I find something better or when it dies. So far, I'm very happy not to have to settle yet.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post

I never hated IOS, it was the iPhone fanboys that drove me nuts.
    I don't hate iOS, but I don't much care for it. I rather hate Apple and the aforementioned Apple fanboys. The moderators at imore were a real turnoff too.
    I do own an iphone and use it for work, but that's about it.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
  15.    #15  
    IPhones are really popular around here but 50% of the users carry a charger around with them. This does not appeal to me. It bugs me when my daughter calls and says, I have to make this fast as my battery is going and...... twenty minutes later I get a call back after she has found a place to plug it in.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    As a webOS phone user, I can't tease other phones about battery life. If an iPhone's battery is dying quickly, the battery is wearing out or the phone is very heavily used.

Sent using WebOS Nation mobile app
    As my Pre3 gets quirkier and flakier (I've been getting uncommanded restarts on almost a weekly basis since mid-December), I've finally accepted that I'll be saying goodbye to webOS on my phone sooner rather than later. Since I got a free iPhone 5c 32gb from Verizon last year, I've been fooling around with it (as an iPod) for the past 5 months. I think that this is the direction I'm going to go for a few reasons:

1. My wife has been on iPhones for about 3 years, so I'll only have to stay on top of one mobile platform.
    2. iOS has a much better security model than any other mobile OS, and I'm a data security paranoid.
    3. I'm really enjoying having a plethora of high-quality apps in the areas I'm interested in (communications, productivity, photography).
    4. The camera (and camera app) is really, really great (after all those years of below-average Pre+ and Pre3 cameras). I've stopped taking our digital point-and-shoot and pocket vidcam with us when we travel.
    5. I'm coming to appreciate iOS 8's app folders in the launcher as an organizational tool. I even have four app folders on my Quick Launch bar, instead of individual apps.
    6. I'm getting better with the alternative swipe-enabled keyboard that I've installed, even though it feels weird to be using my right index finger rather than two thumbs. Combined with predictive text, it's actually faster than typing on my Pre3 keyboard.
    7. Did I mention that the 5c was free?

Things I'm not enjoying about the experience:

• While I waited until iOS 8 came out so that I could start with that, the app switching still feels clunky to me compared to webOS.
    • I really hate that most of the iOS apps' preferences ("Settings") can only be accessed through the Settings app. Not all though--some allow access right in the app. Why all of them don't do that is a mystery. Even then, though, there are some things that can be changed only in Settings (such as location services privileges and notification settings).
    • You wouldn't believe how I miss having access to "sync now"--I don't tolerate infrequent sync schedules at all well.
    • I miss the patches and tweaks that allowed me to customize my phone experience. Almost every productivity app has small compromises that I didn't have to accept on webOS, because someone released an awesome patch that made things work the way I wanted. Yes, I could get a lot of that with Android (but see switch reason #2, above).
    • I hated having to go through all my contacts to find the ones I'd imported from PalmOS into webOS that I'd never moved over to Google, then moving them over. I got it all done before the server shutdown, but what a pain. Of course, that's not the fault of iOS.
    • Don't get me started on how much I have to push the home button to do things (in multiple steps) that I could do on webOS with gestures, especially app switching in the gesture area. I want my gesture area back!
    • Despite switch reason #6, it's a bummer that iOS will use only the stock keyboard for password entry. No matter how careful I am, I still have trouble accurately thumb-typing on the virtual keyboard. What genius thought it was a good idea to put backspace right next to the M key?
    • Don't get me started on the stock keyboard's displaying only u/c letters on the keys, regardless of the <Shift> state. Most moronic design decision ever, and there's no point to it, unless it's just to enrage users every time they have to enter a mixed-case password.
    • Not that webOS was any better in this regard, but why does not iOS provide (in 2015) the option to reveal passwords, rather than just showing dots? IT DOESN'T INCREASE SECURITY UNLESS YOU'RE IN A CROWD. Oy.

All that said, I expect that I'll finally shift over to my iPhone my mid-year.

I'm not giving up on my TouchPad, though--I'm planning on using it until it dies.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre≥ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre≥ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    PalmPixi_User23 likes this.
    I'll never own a phone I can't change out the battery. That's ridiculous.

And probably the same for physical keyboard.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Shuswap likes this.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I've switched to BB Q10 for about 1 year. That's a good phone because it is very reliable. Never hang. Reasonable battery lifetime. Very reasonable price with less than US$200 in Hong Kong. The most important thing is that it has a very good physical keyboard just like my previous palm phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I'll never own a phone I can't change out the battery. That's ridiculous.

And probably the same for physical keyboard.
    In addition to a removable battery and a physical keyboard, I'd add that I won't buy another phone without removable storage. I like WebOS enough that I was willing to overlook that last requirement on my Pre3, but I wouldn't do it again. Who wants to shuffle music on and off a device, and why should you have to do it when memory is so cheap?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    TJs11thPre likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast