Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree47Likes
    What is all this talk of Just Type? I choose to MAKE IT SO!

Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It's never too late if you're up to the challenge. It's also much easier than it first appears in the video. Once I cracked one of these phones open once, it quickly became easier.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Can any CDMA Pre2 be Sprintified? I'm not a mobile phone Techie so I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    Can any CDMA Pre2 be Sprintified? I'm not a mobile phone Techie so I don't know.
    I've done it with both unlocked GSM ROW (rest of world) models and Verizon CDMA models. The only difference is which metadoctor to run and whether to swap the backplate for the CDMA antennas. The hard part anymore is finding a good donor Pre2. The first one I did for Laingman had a bad earpiece speaker. I've had a couple of Pre2's recently with flaky keyboards. (well, assuming you already have built the meta-doctor.. That's a bit harder now with the Palm servers being down.)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/23/2015 at 10:46 PM.
    laingman likes this.
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    Yes. With the exception of the completely different Pre3, all Pre models have many interchangeable parts. You can put the Sprint comm board into vzn, att, and unlocked Pre2s. You can interchange keyboards, cameras, screens, etc.

To convert to sprint, you would need an original sprint pre, which donates the independent comm module (this must be active on sprint prior to conversion) and any model Pre2. Using a gsm version means also retaining the sub chassis from the sprint pre containing the appropriate antennae.

Aside from that, the metadoctor varies as Grabber indicated above, to match your conditions.

I certainly do not think it's too late to enjoy using a Pre2 for a while. As much as I love both the veer and Pre3, the original Pre is the middle size between those two, and it's a very comfortable compromise. I hope this latest one I constructed lasts a long time. The only major concession is 3G instead of H+.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 05/25/2015 at 02:10 AM.
    laingman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    P

Yes. With the exception of the completely different Pre3, all Pre models have many interchangeable parts. You can put the Sprint comm board into vzn, att, and unlocked Pre2s. You can interchange keyboards, cameras, screens, etc.

To convert to sprint, you would need an original sprint pre, which donates the independent comm module (this must be active on sprint prior to conversion) and any model Pre2. Using a gsm version means also retaining the sub chassis from the sprint pre containing the appropriate antennae.

Aside from that, the metadoctor varies as Grabber indicated above, to match your conditions.

I certainly do not think it's too late to enjoy using a Pre2 for a while. As much as I love both the veer and Pre3, the original Pre is the middle size between those two, and it's a very comfortable compromise. I hope this latest one I constructed lasts a long time. The only major concession is 3G instead of H+.
    If I were you I would totally go for it! I would still use my Pre 3 today, but I really need email, and my texting, along with calling was starting to get iffy. Would totally buy a Sealed Pre3 again though.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Well very few new posts so the end seems to have come
    I have two Pre 3 and two Veers that served well but got a iPhone 5S.

I do miss webOS

It has been fun enjoying webOS Nation.

Grateful for all the help I got here.

Charles
    I had two Veers. I sold one and the other is malfunction now. I really do miss webOS too. Unparalleled OS since your first debut in 2009.

I was using a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro since from 2011, because I needed specific apps, until it broken in july 2015. Now i got a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Fantastic Smartphone.

Was I pleasure to participate in this community.

Sorry for my English. I'm from Brazil.
    It was painful early on, but I got use to it pretty quickly.

There's a lot to be said for this robust hardware and apps. Not to mention beautiful display.

Looking to upgrade to the iPhone 6S hopefully later this year.

Miss WebOS and hate the HP burned us all. I had 3 Touchpads and a Pre-. Miss them, but have accepted that technology moves forward!
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    As some of you know, I've retired my Pre 3 for a Blackberry Z30. In addition, I've put Android KitKat on one of my TouchPads.

I've been pounding on these for a couple of months now.

The Verizon Z30 has QI charging capabilities which works well with the night-time mode. Unlike the Pre, you have to turn this mode on manually (from the lock screen it's just a swipe down from the top of the screen). The analog clock display is gorgeous and detailed. You can even see the second hand sweep in front of the other hands. Wireless charging mode does seem to lack some of the niceties found in the Pre's integration such as auto-speaker phone and lift to answer.

The call sound is better than the Pre, but music seems less full on the Z30. I miss the physical keyboard but love the large screen. I also miss the physical ring/vibrate switch.

In BB10, all notifications are listed in the "hub". This includes mail, facebook, texts, and so on. Though this is good, in my case, sifting through the 100+ emails I get per day mixed in with texts and alerts is cumbersome. On the other hand, their "just type" works as well as, if not better, than in webos. If I type "Bruce Banner", it not only lists my contact(s) for him, but also lists the emails and texts that I received or sent with him. That alone is a winner. For example, I had to find an email I sent to someone with a bus company I recommended. I just typed his name and listed was the email with the subject "Coming for a visit" on the first page rather than scrolling manually through 100s of emails.

For those interested in the Verizon Z30, be aware that it is fatter than other Z30s because of the QI charging. This became a real issue when trying to find a case and pouch. I had to buy the silicon case from Verizon because no one made an alternative. I ended up buying three pouches over the internet before I got one to fit (they all claimed it worked with the Verizon Z30 which was not correct). I had problems with the Z30 buttons. I kept hitting the mute button during a call or accidentally hitting the voice command option. Also the volume up button worked intermittently. I found out that these were caused by the Verizon case that made the mute button too sensitive and pressed it when you pressed the volume up button. I fixed this by slitting the silicon between the buttons so they worked independently. This also fixed the mute button sensitivity issue.

Unlike the ACL approach on WebOS, Android apps work snappy on the Z30. The only apps that don't run are ones that need the google play api. There is a homebrew workaround but I couldn't get it working. On the bad side most Android apps are of poor quality, most have in-app purchasing, and there are a gazillion choices to sift through.

The gestures take a bit of time to get used to. For example, swiping halfway from the bottom of the screen allows you to see the date and time and swiping up and then right brings up the hub. But they do bring a lot of power with them.

I also like the control you have over apps. You can specify which ones can run in the background and which ones can't. You can also specify what each app can see and how it's integrated. It's amazing how many apps look at things and do things they shouldn't (especially android ones). Before I found this, I was getting advertisements pushed to the hub as alerts.

Bottom line is that BB10 is a reasonable choice for WebOS users.

As for Android on the Touchpad, other than I get a modern browser and has apps supported by my bank and such, I hate the experience. It's a very clumsy interface compared to WebOS.

My wife has moved on to an IPad so I'll be taking her TP and putting LuneOS on it as soon as she can make a clean break (she still loves to do some things on it over the iPad).
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    petbull likes this.
    I've been looking at BB10, waiting for the slider to come out, that may just be the Pre3 replacement for me.
    How's the multitasking? I always leave several apps open and use the gesture area swipe to move between them. Can BB10 do that?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I've been looking at BB10, waiting for the slider to come out, that may just be the Pre3 replacement for me.
    How's the multitasking? I always leave several apps open and use the gesture area swipe to move between them. Can BB10 do that?
    BB10 doesn't have anything like the gesture area swipe to switch without going back into card view but it does have cards and it's quite easy to upswipe and select another card. On BB10 you can have 8 apps open at a time which is plenty. It's really the best besides webOS at multitasking especially the Passport (and presumably the slider) with 3GB of RAM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I made a comparison video a while back.
    Feature Comparison between webOS and Blackberry 10:
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Anybody have a Z10 I could borrow or buy to play with and see how I like it before the slider comes out?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Anybody have a Z10 I could borrow or buy to play with and see how I like it before the slider comes out?

Alan Morford just posted one for sale on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Alan Morford just posted one for sale on Twitter
    Cool, thanks!
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Blackberry Passport. I will report.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I see the day when BB10 goes the way of WebOS. Blackberry's Slider, Priv, (which keeps me thinking of Pre) is an Android only phone with some BB apps and a security layer. It was funny to watch BB's CEO, John Chen, try to demonstrate it live. He kept trying to swipe things away instead of clicking on the Android toolbar.

I see two things happen after the release of the Priv... Either it will be a success and mark the end of BB10, or it will be a failure which will mark the end of BB phones altogether.

BB has already laid off quite a few hardware and software engineers which reminds me of the HP days just after the Touchpad debacle. The next release of BB10 will EOL updates to phones up to the Z30 (which I now use daily).

I truly miss WebOS and this community. It was fun and exciting and I hung in as long as I could.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    petbull likes this.
    That Priv has potential to shake the industry. I'm hoping it's ability to utilize Android is strong, because i want to see how many people line up for a physical keyboard device. I want it to trigger a wave of new physical keyboard competitors.

So tired of slabs and their glass keyboards!

If they are able to make a launcher with more efficient gestures (like webOS) that would be nice too. I really want to flick app cards away - forever! It's the most natural gesture!
    After one PrPrPr, $one$ $Pr$+ $two$ $Pre$ $3$ ($8$ $and$ $16$ $GB$) $I$ $bought$ $a$ $LG$ $Google$ $Nexus$ $5$ ($used$) $with$ $Lollipop$ $on$ $it$. $I$'$m$ $surprisingly$ $happy$ $with$ $it$. $I$ $tried$ $some$ $older$ $Android$'$s$ $but$ $found$ $it$ $too$ $complicated$ $and$ $too$ $slow$ $and$ $too$ $everything$.

But the Nexus works like a rocked. It's fast and snappy and has some smart solutions. I like the QI charger, the brilliant camera (with photosphere!), the super fast browser and the speech recognition.

But thinking of Synergy I miss my WebOS...

Regards,
    Torsten
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345