Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I came in here thinking it was going to be a thread on what device would one get when the apocalypse was near. Whoops.
    Cellphones are almost always the first things to go in any kind of disaster, let alone an apocalypse. Lol. Old school radios (ham or just receivers) would be all the rage again.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ive tried to move on, bougth the new Lumia 640XL but the silly thing didnt support 5 GHz WIFI.

Quite confusing as you would think a phone made in 2015 with specifications that mention 802.11n would support both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

So, to cut a long story short, im back on the Pre3.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Looking into the future and I don't know what I would buy?
    I have a Galaxy but not an Android fan. Veer is still my daily driver.
    I like the look of the BB Z10 and am told the OS is about as close to WebOS as there is out there but the phone is getting a little on the big side.
    Who has tried what and how do they compare?
    I shelved my beloved pre3 a couple months ago and picked up the BlackBerry passport. I have to tell ya as much as I've loved my pre phones annd webos. I absolutely love my passport! Like you I'm not an android fan at all and I love a good physical keyboard. Check out the passport or the z30. The os is awesome. It's no webos but it really is a great operating system and the hardware is premium. I recommend it to anyone
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    The time has come to talk of other things...

My last backup Verizon Pre 3 has taken a drop too many. It works but I don't think it will last much longer. I spent time on my wife's iPhone 6 and put Android Kitkat on one of my Touchpads and they are a far cry from WebOS. I decided to give BB10 a whirl and ordered an unlocked Verizon Z30 from Ebay. It will come next Tuesday.

It is with a very heavy heart that I leave WebOS on a phone. The years with my Pre-Plus, FrankenPre 2, and Pre 3 were magical. I bought in completely on the concepts embodied in webOS with it's intuitive interface, seamless multitasking, and synergy. Most of all, I'll miss the incredible support and friendship of the people on the forum and the entire homebrew community.

So without further ado, I'd like to express my warmest regards to:

Palm -- for WebOS which all others strove to emulate.
    The WebOS homebrew community -- for their monumental effort to keep webOS viable.
    The WebOS application developers -- for making high quality webOS apps.
    WebosNations -- for keeping the forum alive. It is the first place I look in the morning and the last place at night to watch the highs and lows we all shared over the years.

And a few jeers to:
    HP -- for abandoning the gem and making this moment inevitable.
    Leo -- for just about everything.
    Verizon -- for their burying the benefits of the Palm products over Android with blatant lies by their customer service and sales staff. They're doing this with Blackberry now. You will only find Blackberry mockups in the store and they will actively work to convince you to buy Android or iPhone instead.

For these I say "So long and thanks for the fish.."

Old habits are hard to break so I'll be hanging here to see how things progress for WebOS.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    If you change your mind, I have a nice Verizon Pre3 I have no use for any more.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ggendel likes this.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    If you change your mind, I have a nice Verizon Pre3 I have no use for any more.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I'll keep it in mind. At some point we all need to face this situation but it's been a great ride so far. I'll see how BB10 meets my needs and let you know.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    The time has come to talk of other things...

It is with a very heavy heart that I leave WebOS on a phone. The years with my Pre-Plus, FrankenPre 2, and Pre 3 were magical. I bought in completely on the concepts embodied in webOS with it's intuitive interface, seamless multitasking, and synergy. Most of all, I'll miss the incredible support and friendship of the people on the forum and the entire homebrew community.

So without further ado, I'd like to express my warmest regards to:

Palm -- for WebOS which all others strove to emulate.
    The WebOS homebrew community -- for their monumental effort to keep webOS viable.
    The WebOS application developers -- for making high quality webOS apps.
    WebosNations -- for keeping the forum alive. It is the first place I look in the morning and the last place at night to watch the highs and lows we all shared over the years.

And a few jeers to:
    HP -- for abandoning the gem and making this moment inevitable.
    Leo -- for just about everything.
    Verizon -- for their burying the benefits of the Palm products over Android with blatant lies by their customer service and sales staff. They're doing this with Blackberry now. You will only find Blackberry mockups in the store and they will actively work to convince you to buy Android or iPhone instead.

For these I say "So long and thanks for the fish.."

Old habits are hard to break so I'll be hanging here to see how things progress for WebOS.
    I feel your pain. I'm still hanging in there but it is getting more difficult each day and the at some point, I'll have to make the jump. I do have an Android for work and it's OK, but it's not overwhelming. Also use an iPad and it gets thew job done but it is a passionless product unless you are an Apple-holic in which case, each middle of the road innovation become "revolutionary"

Not sure where I'll go when the end comes, but nothing out there really 'lights my fire' And...totally on the mark with your jeers.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    I feel your pain. I'm still hanging in there but it is getting more difficult each day and the at some point, I'll have to make the jump. I do have an Android for work and it's OK, but it's not overwhelming. Also use an iPad and it gets thew job done but it is a passionless product unless you are an Apple-holic in which case, each middle of the road innovation become "revolutionary"

Not sure where I'll go when the end comes, but nothing out there really 'lights my fire' And...totally on the mark with your jeers.

C
    It's been about a week since I powered up my Blackberry Z30 so I thought I'd let you know of my experiences with the change.

Executive Summary: It's not WebOS.

Pros (over Pre 3 running WebOS)
    * Good Battery Life (Easily lasts a day with heavy usage).
    * Very good sound quality on phone calls.
    * Browser works with modern sites.
    * Big Screen
    * Nice integration with cloud storage.
    * Current and up-to-date apps (including many android apps). However, android apps are a different user experience than native apps.
    * Exceptional build quality.

Cons:
    * No physical keyboard
    * No "Just Type" -- I miss this the most.
    * Incomplete synergy -- The hub is adequate but not as nice an experience.
    * No wireless charging -- And the connection is on the wrong side so the wire gets in the way on my nightstand. I'm thinking of doing some surgery so I can use my "puck" to charge it. The nice thing is that the battery cover does come off easily so this is possible.
    * No charging aware modes -- I really miss answering phone calls by just picking up the phone or touching for speakerphone. WebOS nightstand mode (automatically suppressing message tones and vibrations) was a killer feature.
    * No "dashboard" apps

They did some nifty things with gestures on the Passport keyboard in the next release of the OS. I'm hoping that by the time the "slider" comes out they see the beauty of "Just type" and do something there.

The Blackberry has given me a better experience than I've had on Android and iOS phones but WebOS still rocks in my opinion.
    petbull likes this.
    I can see a time where the browser issues will be the straw that breaks my back, but your cons still ring very true for me!
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I can see a time where the browser issues will be the straw that breaks my back, but your cons still ring very true for me!
    One update. I found out that the Verizon Z30 is the only Z30 model that supports wireless Qi charging. I may give this a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill22 View Post
    If I was in your shoes I would get android or ios. Everyone makes and support apps for these platform and the others are neglected. Going from webOS to blackberry or even windows-phone is like going from dead to on life support.
    I just like having more choices than two, and lack of apps isn't an issue for me. I just use the basic ones.
    This question is for Sprint users. Has anyone switched to a non-Android or non-iOS phone? I don't care for the Android UI, and not that excited about iOS either. I'm SO disappointed in LG (almost as much as HP) that they put WebOS, a smartphone OS on everything (TV, watch) BUT a smartphone.
    Last edited by purplepansy; 05/21/2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: emoticon not quite what I expected
    laingman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    This question is for Sprint users. Has anyone switched to a non-Android or non-iOS phone? I don't care for the Android UI, and not that excited about iOS either. I'm SO disappointed in LG (almost as much as HP) that they put WebOS, a smartphone OS on everything (TV, watch) BUT a smartphone.
    I've used something else as my primary a couple of times, but have never stopped carrying a webOS phone. If im always going to carry two phones, shouldn't my primary be the one I like the most? Now I only have to carry two phones if I know I'll need access to my work email. I am sticking with my FrankenPre2 until it no longer can be rebuilt or no longer works with my cloud accounts.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/21/2015 at 08:18 AM.
    petbull and laingman like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I've used something else as my primary a couple of times, but have never stopped carrying a webOS phone. If im always going to carry two phones, shouldn't my primary be the one I like the most? Now I only have to carry two phones if I know I'll need access to my work email. I am sticking with my FrankenPre2 until it no longer can be rebuilt or no longer works with my cloud accounts.
    I think I may have messed around and missed the Pre 2 boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    I think I may have messed around and missed the Pre 2 boat.
    It's never too late if you're up to the challenge. It's also much easier than it first appears in the video. Once I cracked one of these phones open once, it quickly became easier.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Agreed.I keep wishing for some miracle with the browser but not gonna happen, can't even let anyone hold my phone for fear of getting embarrassed. Also I am not sure whats the problem, but last half dozen times or so I tried to use the mobilzer patch it didn't work
    The browser COULD happen. QT 4.8? was made to work on legacy webOS with little effort. Someone would need to do the same with a newer QT and it would be easy to have a browser really. The LuneOS browser could be used for this even with a few modifications. Unfortunately I lack the knowledge to get QT working on legacy webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    petbull likes this.
    The QT browser apps in Preware (one is now gone, and I think it was the more touch-friendly one) were a promising hint at what was possible. Unfortunately nobody took that and ran with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    It's been about a week since I powered up my Blackberry Z30 so I thought I'd let you know of my experiences with the change.

Executive Summary: It's not WebOS.

Pros (over Pre 3 running WebOS)
    * Good Battery Life (Easily lasts a day with heavy usage).
    * Very good sound quality on phone calls.
    * Browser works with modern sites.
    * Big Screen
    * Nice integration with cloud storage.
    * Current and up-to-date apps (including many android apps). However, android apps are a different user experience than native apps.
    * Exceptional build quality.

Cons:
    * No physical keyboard
    * No "Just Type" -- I miss this the most.
    * Incomplete synergy -- The hub is adequate but not as nice an experience.
    * No wireless charging -- And the connection is on the wrong side so the wire gets in the way on my nightstand. I'm thinking of doing some surgery so I can use my "puck" to charge it. The nice thing is that the battery cover does come off easily so this is possible.
    * No charging aware modes -- I really miss answering phone calls by just picking up the phone or touching for speakerphone. WebOS nightstand mode (automatically suppressing message tones and vibrations) was a killer feature.
    * No "dashboard" apps

They did some nifty things with gestures on the Passport keyboard in the next release of the OS. I'm hoping that by the time the "slider" comes out they see the beauty of "Just type" and do something there.

The Blackberry has given me a better experience than I've had on Android and iOS phones but WebOS still rocks in my opinion.
    You basically have something like JustType on the Passport (or any BB10 device with physical keyboard). From the home screen if I start typing the assistant app opens and I can search, launch apps, or perform certain actions like tweeting or posting to facebook amongst others.

Also you can assign keyboard shortcuts to perform certain actions when you press and hold a key for about a second such as pressing and holding "I" to launch Instagram or pressing and holding "K" to lock the device (or "U" to unlock). I believe you can also use shortcuts to change sound profiles.

It's not quite the same but certain apps can be left open with widget-like info being displayed in it's active frame. BeWeather is a good example of this or the Device Monitor.

You're right about the Verizon Z30 having QI charging just like the AT&T Passport has some sort of wireless charging also. I hate that they make wireless charging a carrier exclusive. It's 2015.

I love my Z30 and Passport. Both have great build quality (although imo the Z30 arguably feels better). It's hard to compare it to webOS though. It's my favorite currently supported mobile OS but I can't help but imagine what a webOS device built in 2013/2014 would have been like if they had been given the three years they were supposed to have to gain market share. It's amazing to me that the Pre3 still can do everything a smartphone is expected to do four years after it's intended release (with the exception of a handful of popular apps) without any official support or updates.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 05/22/2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I'm pretty disappointed in the change from the universal-search-like feature in BB10.2.1 to BB assistant in BB10.3.1.. It takes *much* longer to start a search. I can't remember if there is a way to disable that or assign it only to a specific button or something.. I suppose I should look. Or just keep using my webOS phones and enjoy their superior just type.
    purplepansy likes this.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast