Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    [*]iOS has a much better security model than any other mobile OS, and I'm a data security paranoid.
    The iOS security model means that anything you store in the iCloud can be decrypted by Apple. So security is only a matter of who you trust with your information They don't support GPG encryption in their mail program when you send or receive emails. It wasn't until recently that they encrypted the data partition at all. WebOS had that on day 1.

If security is important, the Blackberry wins hands down. It even allows separate roles so your work data can be inaccessible when running in a non-business role.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    The iOS security model means that anything you store in the iCloud can be decrypted by Apple. So security is only a matter of who you trust with your information They don't support GPG encryption in their mail program when you send or receive emails. It wasn't until recently that they encrypted the data partition at all. WebOS had that on day 1.

If security is important, the Blackberry wins hands down. It even allows separate roles so your work data can be inaccessible when running in a non-business role.
    I know this stuff isn't easy, but I hope LuneOS implements comparable security features.

Blackberry arguably has stayed in business thanks to this, making it appealing to executives and governments. LuneOS could have the addditional benefit of being open-source - the code is visible and auditable.
    TJs11thPre and Shuswap like this.
    Blackberry Passport

BB10 is as close to webOS, as anything that's out there. Has the Hub, which mimics part of webOS (email accounts). The swipe gestures are pretty good.

Not a big fan of iOS - too many baubles. And who needs a million apps (or whatever) - I have trouble keeping track of the 50 - 75 I already have. Security concerns me, although nothing can really keep out a hacker if they want. Ask Jennifer Lawrence.

Android has its' upside, but just seems too fragmented for me. Plus I don't like Google's attitude on a few things (Not a fan of Google Chrome).
    All that being said, I still have my 2 Touchpads. Even in its prehistoric state, webOS still rocks. I think tablets are where webOS can be resurrected - as the smartphones step seems more difficult.

If the Web Browser could make a leap, I'd use my tablet more often. When LuneOS makes a few more steps in its' evolution, then I'll try it on one of my Touch Pads.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I'll never own a phone I can't change out the battery. That's ridiculous.

And probably the same for physical keyboard.
    While I do question the design of a fixed battery on the BlackBerry Classic since the weight and thickness is still there, I actually find it okay for it to be fixed. I could run up to 2 days on standby without charging. Planned obsolescence be damned, by the time my phone is 3-4 years old I'm sure I can score up a spare battery somewhere in China and since it's out of warranty I can tear it apart to replace it.

Heck I only needed to carry the spare battery on my Pre 3 back then and constantly charge because of it's 4 hour battery life.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Pre 3 -> Lumia 925.
    Love the UI design, but the OS itself has some annoying limitations.

Thinking about the ASUS ZenFone 2 (price/performance appears to be off the charts),
    and the BlackBerry Passport (Love the gestures, and functionality of the UI).

Leaning towards ZenFone because I am tired of using phones that lack 3rd party support ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    In addition to a removable battery and a physical keyboard, I'd add that I won't buy another phone without removable storage. I like WebOS enough that I was willing to overlook that last requirement on my Pre3, but I wouldn't do it again. Who wants to shuffle music on and off a device, and why should you have to do it when memory is so cheap?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    Never became an issue for me. I have 853 songs on my Pre2 and that's not even 4gb. But that is emergency backup music. 90% of the time I'm streaming Pandora. WebOS is the only one commercial free, for free, as far as I know.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    As my Pre3 gets quirkier and flakier (I've been getting uncommanded restarts on almost a weekly basis since mid-December), I've finally accepted that I'll be saying goodbye to webOS on my phone sooner rather than later. Since I got a free iPhone 5c 32gb from Verizon last year, I've been fooling around with it (as an iPod) for the past 5 months. I think that this is the direction I'm going to go for a few reasons:

Things I'm not enjoying about the experience:

• While I waited until iOS 8 came out so that I could start with that, the app switching still feels clunky to me compared to webOS.
    • I miss the patches and tweaks that allowed me to customize my phone experience. Almost every productivity app has small compromises that I didn't have to accept on webOS, because someone released an awesome patch that made things work the way I wanted. Yes, I could get a lot of that with Android (but see switch reason #2, above).
    • Don't get me started on how much I have to push the home button to do things (in multiple steps) that I could do on webOS with gestures, especially app switching in the gesture area. I want my gesture area back!

All that said, I expect that I'll finally shift over to my iPhone my mid-year.

I'm not giving up on my TouchPad, though--I'm planning on using it until it dies.
    You should look into jailbreaking your 5C. I got one about a month ago I'm using as an iPod and iOS 8 jailbroken is really quite tolerable. You can install the Auxo 3 tweak which lets you use the swipe up gesture to access both quick settings and switch between cards for example. I never even use the home button on mine.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Looking into the future and I don't know what I would buy?
    I have a Galaxy but not an Android fan. Veer is still my daily driver.
    Who has tried what and how do they compare?
    I went with a Windows phone. Not activated yet because I want to get familiar with it before I retire my Pre 3. Because I'm on Verizon, I got a Nokia 822, the smallest phone they had. I'm used to the form factor of the Pre 3 and really don't want to go to a big slab.

The Windows Phone 8.1 is a reasonable OS. Multitasking, a back button, something that looks like cards. The features that I'm familiar with from WebOS are there but they might take an extra button press or require holding a button for an extra second. It's not till one tries another phone OS that one realizes how fluid WebOS is. WebOS made the most used operations so quick and easy. I'm going to really miss it.

The 822 also has a couple of important items, a replaceable battery and the ability to use a microSD card to expand storage.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    webOS was never really my main phone (I'm on Sprint, and didn't really catch on to webOS until after the touchpad) but I have a Pre Plus, Pre 2 and HP Touchpad. They will never go anywhere, especially my touchpad, but I feel like BB 10 and Windows Phone are good alternatives. Windows Phone, or soon to be Windows 10 for Phones, may not have a huge app ecosystem, but did webOS have one larger? For real, I don't know the exact numbers. Blackberry I have never used, but I am maybe going to get one soon to try it out. From what i have seen, BB10 would be a great option. BlackBerry World has like, no apps, but with BB10.3 you get access to the Amazon App Store and Android apps. I actually got a Samsung ATIV S NEO, but I had to switch to my mom's S5 because she couldn't get as great a signal as I could with my Windows phone. I think I'll just play it out and hope that this "New Palm" can be something better than just brand name appeal. Maybe they will pick up on LuneOS, but probably not. If I was lucky and could use a Pre 3 as my main phone, I would. I might look into getting two Sprint Pre-'s and make a FrankenPre 2 and use that for a little while.
    I guess there's really no question for me after BlackBerry's latest announcement. There's nothing closer to being a Pre4: BlackBerry plans to launch a sliding 'dual-curved display' phone this year | The Verge
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Size wise it looks uncomfortable to use single hand though. Pre 3 was perfect, my Classic is borderline.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12.    #32  
    Well I broke down and bought a BNIB Blackberry Z10. Hope it will arrive before the weekend.
    I'll play with it and keep all posted.
    cbosdell likes this.
    I switched to an iPhone about 16 months ago. Don't know what took me so long, I just love it.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hoped to be able to stay with webOS, even had a spare Pre3 but the Carriers implemented some kind of network change and required a reboot and ever since the Pre3 chrashes when using 3G. Still fine in 2G.

Ive ordered a Windows Phone to use at Uni for development but would rather have the Pre3 fixed.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    I've not heard of this before. Can you post your carrier? Maybe there will be others with your problem or with a solution. It's possible your carrier has removed the Pre3 from it's approved device list or accidently scrubbed some settings, but again, I don't remember a thread for people who have been kicked off a network. Maybe you just need to tweak your settings or ask the network to do so. I assume there is a standard for each network type (2G, 3G, H+, LTE), so If other 3G phones work, why shouldn't yours? Aside from older smart phones, I'm sure there are many dumb phones floating around - perhaps mainly with older people or those who just don't want to be always connected. I'd imagine it's easier, just to continue allowing these devices to connect than annoy a bunch of customers by forcing upgrades.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I've not heard of this before. Can you post your carrier? Maybe there will be others with your problem or with a solution. It's possible your carrier has removed the Pre3 from it's approved device list or accidently scrubbed some settings, but again, I don't remember a thread for people who have been kicked off a network. Maybe you just need to tweak your settings or ask the network to do so. I assume there is a standard for each network type (2G, 3G, H+, LTE), so If other 3G phones work, why shouldn't yours? Aside from older smart phones, I'm sure there are many dumb phones floating around - perhaps mainly with older people or those who just don't want to be always connected. I'd imagine it's easier, just to continue allowing these devices to connect than annoy a bunch of customers by forcing upgrades.
    I think some Australian users had trouble with some Carriers but I might be mistaken?

Im using Telia SE (Sweden) who implemented some kind of change to its network in june 2014.
    Customers were asked to reboot their phones to make use of the new HD Voice settings.

I find it strange that it would cause my Pre3 to crash but it or some other change does. I even tried my spare Pre3 and if i leave it in 3G mode it will reboot after some time, sometimes within minutes sometimes an hour. Also got me a new SIM-card to rule that out of the question.

If I set it to 2G it will run fine.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  17.    #37  
    My BBZ10 isn't in yet, but this "coming soon" might be an option for the future, for Veer and Pre 3 users.
    BlackBerry shows off all new BlackBerry 10 slider | CrackBerry.com
    I don't like the squareness of it (like most new phones) , it doesn't look comfortable fitting in my pocket but it has a real keyboard.
    My Z10 (tech toy) arrived the other day. Pretty nice, of course it's still not webOS. I predict at some point in the future, all of the content posted from BlackBerry's Facebook app will suddenly disappear like the content we posted with Palm's Facebook app.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/07/2015 at 10:37 AM.
    I wonder if the Z10 battery life has improved with the latest software update?

As for sliders, I'm glad BB is making one, and I'll be buying one, but I liked this concept so much more:

Substitute the gesture area for the trackpad and buttons and you'd have a sweet webOS phone.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    tracks914 likes this.
    Speaking of the end being near, I called sprint and eventually got someone who could see something about the hp shutdown. She said it will still be possible to activate a phone on their end.

So the carrier activation occurs first then have to sign into profile. Seems like all we need is some way to bypass hp sign in, but how to do that if one can't use the phone in the first place? I did some search and found some method but it was all too technical for me.

Hopefully hp can/will do something on their side, to be nice.

Any way as far as what device I hope it don't come to that, we not quite there yet in my opinion. I had my friend's Experia yesterday, and I was like how do you even know what app that is? I always miss something from webos every time I use another platform.
    purplepansy likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast