Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 3 Post By Remy X
  1.    #1  
    Just making sure people saw this, particularly since it's time sensitive.

Embracing Open Innovation, ALCATEL ONETOUCH Announces Their Innovation Accelerator For North America -- LAS VEGAS, Jan. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

This is the Alcatel accelerator press release, which states they are looking for the inaugural batch of people for their center to be based in SFO. Sounds like jobs developing new Palm pilots! Kinda sorta!? Lol not really but who knows where it will lead.

Alcatelonetouchaccelerator.com

Didn't know where to put this; do we need a new sub category for New Palm? Its not PalmOS or webOS really...

Also apologies if this is already here and I missed it, please just close this then.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/08/2015 at 02:21 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Preemptive likes this.
    WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
    • You passed the early stage of concept, Minimum Viable Product and … you are on your way to scale your solution. Your team of professionals has developed that great solution around a scalable and innovative mobile or IoT technology.
    • Your company has a good sense of where the market is going and what the competition is up to.
    • You built a business plan and a commercial strategy but you made the wise decision to remain flexible and adaptable.

I don't think we fit their idea of "viable"... maybe hardy, un-killable, but not "viable" in the sense they want us to be...
    Preemptive and TJs11thPre like this.
    Yes, unless their plans for Palm are separate or at least complimentary to this, then by 'Palm community', they just mean, 'Tech start ups'. It seems an established business is offering cash to inject some innovation into it's offering, which is fine.

Right now, a 'Palm community' is either the ex-employess who worked on the products, the kind of people on these forums or a mixture of both. The former may well be gainfully employed elsewhere. Forum users are all eager to be heard, but are largely asking for the same as before, only better: The hazy dream of a Pre 4. TCL/Alcatel might be wise to leave the past behind and start anew.

TCL have also basically rejected webOS, but LuneOS remains an option for those interested to build a community OS. That's a big job, but it also means there are ways to get the system you want without waiting and hoping that a big corporation will do it for you.
    I think Phoenix International Communication may fit the bill.
    At least when I volunteered for them in ...2012
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
  5.    #5  
    I was hoping webOS internals was a candidate, but I'm unfamiliar with the integrity of their infrastructure. Are they a static organization or just occasional volunteers? And would/could they activate under such an opportunity?

Sure world be cool to have the luneOS crew go work for Alcatel and churn out the new Palm Pilot smart phone!

Has there been any official comment from internalz people pertaining to these latest announcements from CES?

EDIT: I may mean webos-ports here. Now I'm not sure of the names who's who. Sorry.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/08/2015 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I think Phoenix International Communication may fit the bill.
    At least when I volunteered for them in ...2012
    Are you saying they have a Minimum Viable Product? I know there have been a couple of hints about... something recently, but what we know about (ACL), belongs to Open Mobile systems...

Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I was hoping webOS internals was a candidate, but I'm unfamiliar with the integrity of their infrastructure. Are they a static organization or just occasional volunteers? And would/could they activate under such an opportunity?
    They were always volunteers. That the domain was recently grabbed and the broken feeds only recently fixed should illustrate that they are all busy elsewhere. Preware and the website remain as a valuable resource.

Sure world be cool to have the luneOS crew go work for Alcatel and churn out the new Palm Pilot smart phone!
    Alcatel have already rejected webOS. If LG push ahead and LuneOS becomes a bit of a cult OS, then that and other factors might cause a change in the market, but I'd prefer to see big donations to webOS-Ports to give them the option of hiring or going full-time, but staying independent (thinking a mini-Mozilla here).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/08/2015 at 10:17 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Maybe I'm confused over internalz vs. Ports. Same or two different?

Furthermore, if LG is working with openwebOS, is it still actually open? Or is that proprietary?

What's the difference between luneOS and OWOS again??? Ugh too much news at once! Lol
    Maybe I'm confused over internalz vs. Ports. Same or two different?

Furthermore, if LG is working with openwebOS, is it still actually open? Or is that proprietary?

What's the difference between luneOS and OWOS again??? Ugh too much news at once! Lol
    Internals and Ports have a lot of overlap in terms of team membership, but they are not one and the same.

LG is working on their in-house webOS branch, and contributing some code into OWOS to keep some parity between the two.

LuneOS vs OWOS? LuneOS is downstream of OWOS, and has more working modules borrowed* from other open source projects, mainly libhybris for hardware accelerated graphics and some other project for the telephony stack... while OWOS is more like a lab project. For a more direct comparison, think AOSP (Android Open Source Project), which is like a pile of parts, and CyanogenMod, which you can just go and download a pre-compiled ROM of, for any supported device, and run with it...

*now the term "borrowed" is used loosely here... Ports devs have found some code they can take and reuse, but they do contribute back any fixes and improvements they make, so they are actually developing those projects on equal terms as well, but as latecomers
  9.    #9  
    Woosh.

F-16? 747? Idk what that was but it was way up there when it went by. Lol

Which one is the "open" one that could be used on a new Palm device without infringement issues?

Is any of this stuff supposedly being worked on for years here, capable of actually helping us help them to bring us a new palm device like we want?

None of this is going to help is it. Pre2s until ebay runs out...
    Woosh.

F-16? 747? Idk what that was but it was way up there when it went by. Lol

Which one is the "open" one that could be used on a new Palm device without infringement issues?

Is any of this stuff supposedly being worked on for years here, capable of actually helping us help them to bring us a new palm device like we want?

None of this is going to help is it. Pre2s until ebay runs out...
    Sorry..

I was busy, so i kind of typed out a terse reply, without really reading into it.

Anyway... LuneOS is more feature-complete, more road-ready, closer to being usable by us.... while Open webOS is still at a "pushmobile" show car stage. LuneOS is being developed by Ports on actual phone hardware, while OWOS, the mother project (aka "upstream") is being developed on a desktop computer in some lab. OWOS has a lot of pieces missing from when HP ripped out the proprietary stuff, and LuneOS has many of those features re-created by Ports. OWOS is a skeleton, while LuneOS is a lot closer to living..

Long live Ports
  11.    #11  
    So then does the ports crew have the potential to pursue this accelerator opportunity? Develop an open OS for new Palm?

And that also runs android apps much like BB10 does? That would sell it.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to funnel some of this corporate investment capital toward the devs in this forum.
    So then does the ports crew have the potential to pursue this accelerator opportunity? Develop an open OS for new Palm?

And that also runs android apps much like BB10 does? That would sell it.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to funnel some of this corporate investment capital toward the devs in this forum.
    Ports' work is a lot more of a hobby project, a charitable act, a few guys in their spare time fixing up a semi-abandoned open source codebase, while Alcatel is aiming more for something with commercial value. If you read the "requirements" on their site, it becomes clear that Alcatel wants a quick buck, they want a ready-to-go product that they can boost, invest in, and collect a paycheck. Startup incubators are all about VC, and not about making the world a better place...

Such is life.

And if you look at the most successful Open Source projects, you'll see a consistent pattern of who's subsidized and lent extra manpower to make them happen, and it's always billion dollar companies.

WebKit (the browser engine that powers Chrome and Safari) - Apple and Google.
    LLVM/Clang (a C/C++/Objective-C compiler toolset built to replace the tangled mess that GCC is) - Apple and Google.
    Android - Google.
    Firefox - Google.
    MySQL (a relational database system) - Sun Microsystems, which is now owned by Oracle.
    Java - Sun
    OpenOffice - Sun

I'm sure i've missed a few, these are just a couple i could think of off the top of my head... But the point is that the cleanest, best-funded, best-run Open Source projects are the ones that have been picked up by the industry's largest and most influential companies for their own use*. We just have the benefit of using the resulting product.

*Of them all, only Firefox is truly a charity case, and even then it was funded to unseat Microsoft's Internet Explorer as the web's most used browser

And if every company besides LG thinks webOS is a liability, that leaves us as the biggest source of labor, talent and funds.
    Last edited by Remy X; 01/09/2015 at 01:24 AM.