Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    pivotCE: Video: A feature comparison between webOS and Blackberry 10

With the looming shutdown of HP webOS cloud service in <gasp> just under two weeks, many folks over at webOS Nation's forums have started jumping ship. For those of us who've survived all of the major hiccups, travesties, and terrorist plots that have seen webOS kicked to the curb or dropped on its head, this is nothing new. But to those that are leaving, to what platform will you go?

Read more http://pivotce.com/2015/01/03/video-...blackberry-10/

If you just want to see the video, here it is:
    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceIUqIgVdm4[/YT]
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 01/03/2015 at 03:26 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Thanks for the vid.

Couple of comments, seems like you really like the hub. Me, I really like the email notifications with the cycle email patch, just wish it could be expanded to all notifications, or at least text and missed calls.

Regarding the wave laucher, I had to chose between that and the virtual keyboard, so I chose the keyboard because one can launch more than four apps with it. It was a tough choice though.

I prefer webos cards, multitasking because of stacks and the ability to chose what I want and where. So depending on the situation, I chose what I want open a just roll like that. And I like the light bar better than anything else I have seen.

I am not loving my pre2 keyboard too much at this point. Sometimes key presses fail to register and sometimes double type, lots of typos.
    Thanks for the video! Reminded me a lot of when I had a Pre3! webOS was my favorite OS and I still do miss a lot of the features like stacking cards and swiping them away and the wave launcher. I had a Pre Plus, Pre 2, Veer, Touchpad, two Pre3's (one UK model and one AT&T branded one), and the white Touchpad. Nowadays I'm a Windows Phone and BB10 guy. Right now I have the HTC One (M8) for Windows and a red BlackBerry Passport. BB10 does remind me of webOS, which is probably what I love most about it! The Hub is a great feature also! You should do more comparison videos like this. Maybe one with a Classic or a Passport so you can compare with hardware keyboards instead of a physical and a on screen.
    great video quality by the way
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Great video.

Your Preł is in awesome condition. Is this a spare unit or your daily driver?
    Nice job on the video. Curious, did you have to reshoot many times because you accidentally pulled up someone's phone number or email address? I could see myself doing that.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Wow great video! You've really nailed what there is to love about webOS and BlackBerry 10 and comparing the two. And I particularly love that you went with the latest leak showing the best available.

Oh and watching this reminded me of the wave launcher, now I want that on my Z30.
    Alan Morford likes this.
    wow man. excellent vid, i really appreciate this.

i've been considering bb, IF they release new hardware in the form factor WE appreciate most. so this was VERY educational and timely for me.

one question bugging me from the beginning: @ 1:26 you compare unlocking the phones

it appears you can unlock the bb simply by two screen swipes anywhere on the screen. this looks WAY TOO EASY to pocket dial someone. where is the security of a lock screen if it's so easily unlocked??

i frequently see my Pre on the power/airplane/cancel screen, indicating i've hit the power button in my pocket, and if it weren't for the yellow lock circle, it could have went into airplane or powered off without my knowledge. and, i've even made a fake name as my first contact so that if it DOES accidentally pocket dial, it calls "B.A. Baracus" at 555-1212. (i pity da fool that pocket dials, ha!)

this really helped educate me. it looks like it combines features of android and webOS. definitely better than any previous version of bb. but unfortunately this video just made me want another Pre3. i don't know what i'm going to do when my device finally poops out.

THANKS AGAIN.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Pre3 looks so tiny
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    wow man. excellent vid, i really appreciate this.

it appears you can unlock the bb simply by two screen swipes anywhere on the screen. this looks WAY TOO EASY to pocket dial someone. where is the security of a lock screen if it's so easily unlocked??
    It's actually a little easier than two swipes, you can do one continuous swipe from the bottom to the top to fully unlock the phone. But I haven't had any issue with it being accidentily unlocked while it's in my pocket. And yes if you set the security with a passcode it helps to avoid that issue as well.
    thanks. that sounds horrible. i meant security of the touchscreen receiving accidental input only, not securing the whole device like with a code.

i hate pulling my phone out of my pocket to see it's doing something without my knowledge, like somehow the phone, contacts, or photos app is open. i say "what are you doing little Pre?" like it should know better.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Couple of comments, seems like you really like the hub.
    Yes, I do. It's pretty smart.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderJJJ View Post
    You should do more comparison videos like this. Maybe one with a Classic or a Passport so you can compare with hardware keyboards instead of a physical and a on screen.
    If you buy me a Classic, I'll do it! Ha. I do own a Passport as of today but I'm about to head out of town for 5 weeks. If I do make a video it won't be for a while. I DID talk about the keyboards of BB in the video though. Don't know if I'll have much more to say. Capacitive keys are really smart though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    Your Preł is in awesome condition. Is this a spare unit or your daily driver?
    It is my only remaining Pre3 and I baby it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Curious, did you have to reshoot many times because you accidentally pulled up someone's phone number or email address?
    I shot two videos. The first had your cell and email address in it. For that reason and because I wanted to cut the video up better I reshot.

Quote Originally Posted by thrrgilag View Post
    It's actually a little easier than two swipes, you can do one continuous swipe from the bottom to the top to fully unlock the phone. But I haven't had any issue with it being accidentily unlocked while it's in my pocket. And yes if you set the security with a passcode it helps to avoid that issue as well.
    I have gotten the full swipe to work a few times. Seems intermittent.

Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    thanks. that sounds horrible. i meant security of the touchscreen receiving accidental input only, not securing the whole device like with a code.

i hate pulling my phone out of my pocket to see it's doing something without my knowledge, like somehow the phone, contacts, or photos app is open. i say "what are you doing little Pre?" like it should know better.
    This doesn't really happen with the Z10 at all. It takes a very pronounced swipe to get it to wake and unlock.
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 01/03/2015 at 08:11 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Pre3 looks so tiny
    the Palm Pre 3 looks tiny in the video it a not that small at all, I had it over two years and it's appear more bigger than at what it appears in video. I found to be the perfect size, more comfortable to hold during calls and on landscape mode than the Pre 2.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Yes, I do. It's pretty smart.

If you buy me a Classic, I'll do it! Ha. I do own a Passport as of today but I'm about to head out of town for 5 weeks. If I do make a video it won't be for a while. I DID talk about the keyboards of BB in the video though.
    I got to say, congrats on the video... Your voice sounded very clear and not shaky.... You should do more videos( video reviews and how-to for WebOS), you natural at it.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    How is the battery life, couple days like old times?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    the Palm Pre 3 looks tiny in the video it a not that small at all, I had it over two years and it's appear more bigger than at what it appears in video. I found to be the perfect size, more comfortable to hold during calls and on landscape mode than the Pre 2.
    I have never seen a pre3, but from the video it doesn't seem any faster than my pre2 just judging from how long it take to go full screen. It running at 1.2
    I have never seen a pre3, but from the video it doesn't seem any faster than my pre2 just judging from how long it take to go full screen. It running at 1.2

Having both, my Pre3 is much faster than my Pre2. Granted, there is less in the database, but it's noticeably faster.
  18.    #18  
    How is the battery life, couple days like old times?
    Of which device?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
  19.    #19  
    Grabber is right. I have every webOS phone they released. The Pre3 is snappier overall. It does lag at times like you see in the video but most of the time it's not like that. Mine is running uberkernel but not overclocked.

Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Of which device?

What's the battery life of the blackberry? If there is no touchstone it becomes more important, only thing that makes the pre battery life somewhat tolerable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast