• 2 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By cbosdell
  • 1 Post By tullius128
  • 1 Post By cbosdell
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    There are a few BB10 threads on here but they're OLD. I know the mods don't typically like seeing old threads brought back so here's a new one.

Having purchased a very good shape Z10 from ebay and played with it for 24 hours I am struck by a few things about it in relation to webOS:

1. Multitasking is a very nice implementation. Card view is like webOS. But instead of 1 and two halves of apps on the screen, you get 4 full cards which are live tiles. Scroll up for another 4 live tiles. They are not stackable so webOS edges that out a bit but it is the closest thing to webOS multitasking I've used. And it really is nice. I like seeing more cards.

2. The app selection isn't as terrible as I thought. There are some missing things but those can all be replaced by downloading the amazon app store to run the Android app of your choice. Running android apps for missing functionality is not without its grievances. Minego put it best on Twitter during an earlier conversation today when he said, "It is nice to have access to android apps on BB10 but not nice to have to rely on them." I couldn't have said it better myself. Surprise native apps that ARE there include: Waze, Box, and Google Talk. Native apps that surprised me that they aren't there include: USAA (banking), Instagram, Pandora, and Tapatalk (all which are now on my phone thanks to the Amazon app store). This area has surpassed webOS though since...well for one, the HP app store closes in about 25 days.

3. Hub is amazing. I mean it. If Hub and Synergy had a kid it'd be the most amazing baby in the whole world. The earth would melt from its overwhelming amount of common sense. Hub is the closest thing to synergy I've experienced outside of webOS.

4. I miss the physical keyboard. That's all I have to say about that. webOS for the win. I have a BB 9900 for work. The keyboard is nice. Palm's is better.

5. I think BB10 actually surpasses the gesture based UI of webOS. There is no wave launcher but accessing apps is pretty easy considering the press and swipe right of the app pages/multitasking view bar at the bottom of each screen. Bravo BB.

BB reduced the cost of an unlocked new Z30 to $225 USD recently. I'm considering it. Hmmm. Still love webOS though. I'll go back to my Pre3 eventually. But I'm having fun playing with "new" tech. I also recently bought a Lumia 635 since they're on sale all over the place right now. $39! I would do a thread on that one but it's WAY different. Multitasking makes me want to throw up. Anyway, who else has given BB10 a shot?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    cbosdell and QuayPad like this.
    I played with it in the Sprint store a couple times. I considered it, but I didn't want to use an upgrade on a platform that had as bleak of an outlook as webOS. I was not ready for that again. The biggest gripe I came away with, was having to tap that tiny little x in the card view to close an app. Maybe the tap target is bigger than the x, but it felt difficult.
    Didn't see any Blackberry at my Sptint store on my last visit to check out the iphone 6. I think I will visit the radio shack and get one of those lumina. I will need a backup while I repair my pre2. Thanks for that price tip
    You wont find them on display in the store anymore. I think they pulled them out quite a while back. They may still have them in back of you ask.

Oh, Radio Shack has a $10 off coupon on their website if you sign up for emails. The Lumia is only on sale through 12/27 I think. NOTE it's the GoPhone version, not Sprint. I think you can get the 635 on Virgin but don't think you can on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I'm still hanging onto my last Pre 3 until it dies. I'm hoping that the rumors about the BB VISA project is true and I can last until mid-year. With it's pull-out keyboard it seems a reasonable replacement for my Pre. If not, I'll probably pick up an unlocked Z30 because of all of the positive recommendations on the WebOS forum. Keep us posted on how it goes after owning it for a few months. With the unlocked Z30 I feel that I'm safe if BB decides to pull out of the consumer phone market (as they are really pushing the enterprise lately with the passport and classic).
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I've been using BB10 as my primary phone OS since January. I had a Z10 at first and got a Z30 in July. It's not webOS but I think it's the next best thing currently on the market. The hub, multitasking, and gestures are great. I love the LED notification light and the build quality of the phones are great.

If you haven't installed the latest OS 10.3.1.1154 leak I recommend you do so. It's very stable and is the release version for the BlackBerry Classic phone. I've been using it for a month now and it's so much better than 10.2.1. Android apps run much faster and smoother with it than 10.2.1 and there are so many new features. Also I would recommend considering preloading Snap for access to the Google Play store which has a much larger selection than Amazon and receives much more frequent updates. I use both.

As far as Instagram goes I recommend using the native iGrann Pro client. It works great for me and has push notifications as well as additional features over the android Instagram. For Pandora I use Apollo on my Z30 just like I did on my Pre3. It's still Enyo and works great. I think it was removed from the app store a while back but I have a .bar lying around somewhere if you're interested in trying it out or you might be able to find one online. I also would recommend Blaq for Twitter, Snap10 for Snapchat, gNewsreader for Feedly, ReadItNow! for pocket, and Whine for Vine. All are great native clients for missing official apps.

I still love my Pre3 and TouchPad Go but the "app gap" became too great for me even though it's probably only a half-dozen apps I'm lacking on my Pre3. Currently I'm waiting for the next all-touch BlackBerry or a great deal on a BlackBerry Passport. BlackBerry is well on the road to financial stability and if I recall made a profit this past quarter. It's somewhat of a niche product but it's stabilized nicely thanks to good management.

I bought a Lumia 635 yesterday myself and spent the night trying it out. It's great for a $40 phone but as my first Windows Phone it's so much different and multitasking leaves a lot to be desired. I have very mixed feelings about it.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I keep my Q10 in my drawer for those times when I crave something more interesting to play with than my iPhone. I prefer the webOS implementation of multitasking but BB10 is certainly the nearest thing to webOS on the market today.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I played with it in the Sprint store a couple times. I considered it, but I didn't want to use an upgrade on a platform that had as bleak of an outlook as webOS. I was not ready for that again. The biggest gripe I came away with, was having to tap that tiny little x in the card view to close an app. Maybe the tap target is bigger than the x, but it felt difficult.
    I hear that a lot on this forum. I'd try X platform if it wasn't already doomed to failure...about FFOS, Meamo (older of course), BB10, etc. Two things strike me about this: 1. People said the same thing about webOS after it was showcased at CES in 09. Doomed for lack of support before it was born. But you're (those that have said this about trying another platform that is) here. 2. Who says you have to find ONE platform and marry it? I have an OS7 (BB) phone, Windows Phone 8.1, a slew of webOS phones, a Palm OS phone, an Android phone or 2, and a BB10 phone now. They all bring something different to the table. It's ok to try different ones out for the sake of giving them a fair shake. No one said you have to marry into the family.
    Follow me on Twitter
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    I've been using BB10 as my primary phone OS since January. I had a Z10 at first and got a Z30 in July. It's not webOS but I think it's the next best thing currently on the market. The hub, multitasking, and gestures are great. I love the LED notification light and the build quality of the phones are great.

I still love my Pre3 and TouchPad Go but the "app gap" became too great for me even though it's probably only a half-dozen apps I'm lacking on my Pre3. Currently I'm waiting for the next all-touch BlackBerry or a great deal on a BlackBerry Passport. BlackBerry is well on the road to financial stability and if I recall made a profit this past quarter. It's somewhat of a niche product but it's stabilized nicely thanks to good management.
    I always was curious about the blackberry BB10 new OS mobile operating system(Years ago, since it's introduction late '11) with their swipes gestures and great mutitasking capability similar to WebOS's cards. However, when you count that the OS BB10 has been having slow penetration into mobile market and adoptation with consumer is pale in comparison with Apple or Android kept me on edge. I saw one model at display at my local Verizon store and liked very much the Z10 model but the Blackberry App Store selection isn't as great as Google Play store (That doesn't matter much) but it does affect somehow the experience; considering it that you might have to sideload app on a daily basis just to fill the gap from BB10 app store.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I always was curious about the blackberry BB10 new OS mobile operating system(Years ago, since it's introduction late '11) with their swipes gestures and great mutitasking capability similar to WebOS's cards. However, when you count that the OS BB10 has been having slow penetration into mobile market and adoptation with consumer is pale in comparison with Apple or Android kept me on edge. I saw one model at display at my local Verizon store and liked very much the Z10 model but the Blackberry App Store selection isn't as great as Google Play store (That doesn't matter much) but it does affect somehow the experience; considering it that you might have to sideload app on a daily basis just to fill the gap from BB10 app store.
    If you re-read:
    If you haven't installed the latest OS 10.3.1.1154 leak I recommend you do so. It's very stable and is the release version for the BlackBerry Classic phone. I've been using it for a month now and it's so much better than 10.2.1. Android apps run much faster and smoother with it than 10.2.1 and there are so many new features. Also I would recommend considering preloading Snap for access to the Google Play store which has a much larger selection than Amazon and receives much more frequent updates. I use both.
    I think he's saying that Snap provides access to the Google Play store without the hassle of sideloading every app
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    If you re-read:

I think he's saying that Snap provides access to the Google Play store without the hassle of sideloading every app
    It does! Once you install Snap on your phone (which you can do using Sachesi (the BB10 equivalent of webOS Quick Install) you have a native app that gives you access to the Google Play store. You can download any free app as well as any previously paid apps (you can use play.google.com to purchase and then download via snap). You can check for updates through the app which are quite frequent. Also if the app is free it will save a copy of the apk install file for your for future use. Currently version 2.0 is out but a revamped 3.0 is in development.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Remy X and normsland like this.
    Q10 as my daily driver for the past 4 months or so. I'm in the "BB10 is the closest thing to webOS camp." After I set my beloved Veer aside, I spent almost a year with a Samsung Note 2. Ultimately I wanted more gestures and a keyboard. So Q10 seemed logical. One of my employees left and turned his almost new unit in so I snagged it fir a trial and have never turned back. My IT folks just reminded me I'm due for an upgrade. I'm thinking about a Classic so I can try BB Blend with my Samsung tablet. Sounds like an updated version of TTS. Passport looks interesting but it's silly expensive still and I prefer smaller handsets. I want a new version of Veer!
    Alan Morford likes this.
    Just wanted to let everyone know I found out tonight that someone has recently created a method to install a working Google Play Store on BB10 devices. It seems to working fine on my Z30 and actually gives hub notifications of app updates. Also seems to support app subscriptions and purchases from on the phone. Unlike Snap of course it's not native and doesn't save a copy of the apk file so you may be interested in either or both.

Google Play Store for Blackberry 10 (supports buying and downloading) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Remy X likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know I found out tonight that someone has recently created a method to install a working Google Play Store on BB10 devices. It seems to working fine on my Z30 and actually gives hub notifications of app updates. Also seems to support app subscriptions and purchases from on the phone. Unlike Snap of course it's not native and doesn't save a copy of the apk file so you may be interested in either or both.

Google Play Store for Blackberry 10 (supports buying and downloading) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    I just installed it. Had a bit of trouble getting the Play store to pop up but after a reboot, it came up. Pretty sweet.
    Follow me on Twitter
    cbosdell likes this.