Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes
    Just to shift slightly back on topic for the poor OP: You are either looking for the nearest thing to webOS which might be BB or Jolla (where are those guys who like to experiment with all the different options?)...

OR go mainstream. Then you might choose Android, because if you get a Gnex or a Nexus 4, you still have a door open to the future of webOS!
    There is also Firefox OS. Just saying. It has a software stack similar to webOS and great developer tools. (Linux kernel, Browser renders everything). its dirtcheap and the hardware is getting there...might not hurt to include it in the mix. Flame – Firefox OS Reference Phone – Build, Test and Develop for Firefox OS (BLACK) | Everbuying.com
    cbosdell likes this.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Just to shift slightly back on topic for the poor OP: You are either looking for the nearest thing to webOS which might be BB or Jolla (where are those guys who like to experiment with all the different options?)...

OR go mainstream. Then you might choose Android, because if you get a Gnex or a Nexus 4, you still have a door open to the future of webOS!
    I like to experiement! I didn try bb10 yet, but i followed some coverage. Its seems like bb10 is the out-of-the-box closest thing to webos available. Jolla's sailfish would be the next best. I never really tryed WP but at some point considered it. After testing aprils Early adopters build of sailfish and running the alpha of the sailfish launcher on my nexus 4, i must say its really cool. BUT at no point i really felt at home, like i did with webos.

The closest at home feeling for me was reached with .. Android. Highly cutomized, android, that is.
    I removed the software buttons and navigate via GMD Gesture Control. I set up the gestures to my likings (unsurprisingly reminiscent of webos gestures)
    - swipe left on bottom bezel : back
    - swipe right on bottom bezel : alt+tab
    - swipe up from middle and right 2/3 bottom screen: home
    - swipe up from right 1/3 bottom bezel: recents menu
    - swipe up on 1/3 right bezel: search (launch google now when performed at home screen)
    I use a custom rom (Mahdi ROM) which uses the recents menu from the SlimRoms (Slim Recents - News - SlimROMs)
    I themed it similar to the "Holo-cards" (Holo Cards by Thand Android Homescreen by Thand - MyColorscreen)

if the OP is interested, i could send him a video to demonstrate the UX flow.

I did purchase a nexus 4 when my pre 2 died and i heared there would be a port of sailfish for it. Before that i was looking at the galaxy nexus incase openwebos gets beta status. The nexus 4 seemed to be the next logical device which would come in line after the galaxy nexus port, so my hopes for openwebos on it where high as well (later kinda confirmed by: UPDATE: webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change, Nexus 4 | pivotCE)

So if you want to dive in something new and dont like to tinker with your mobile device, go for a Jolla Phone. They seem to have a better plan for the future on the consumer side than bb10, in my eyes.

If you are like me and the big-ish screen doesnt bother you, get a nexus 4 or 5. Try the different things, hope for a webos port. Make the best out of whats available.I managed to grab mine with damaged back glass for a veeery nice 95. I replaced the back with veneer.
    If you just cant live with anything other than webos, buy another used pre3. Its still a fine phone, i guess.

Some last words on Android. It really shows off who's in charge of the design. SInce Duarte took over, things began to change rapidly. some of the convinient webos things like swipe to delete begin to get more commonplace. The google now and/or material design languages remind me more of the mochi concepts than of the ancient pre-duarte android of 2.3.
    Last edited by volka; 07/11/2014 at 07:12 AM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lispy View Post
    There is also Firefox OS. Just saying. It has a software stack similar to webOS and great developer tools. (Linux kernel, Browser renders everything). its dirtcheap and the hardware is getting there...might not hurt to include it in the mix. Flame – Firefox OS Reference Phone – Build, Test and Develop for Firefox OS (BLACK) | Everbuying.com
    The FirefoxOS phones are on eBay for around 50-60 and the tablets are being shipped to beta testers and contributors are we speak. The phone is being sold by an official contributor.

I am waiting for my tablet but I may get a phone to play with.
    However at the moment I am eyeing up a windows 8.1 phone.

Vas
    I bought a Nexus 5.

Great bang for the buck.
    It doesn't fit in the hand as nicely as a Pre3 and I miss the keyboard a little.

I miss webos a lot.
    As soon as openwebos/LuneOS is delivering similar functionality as Pre3 with a modernized browser and some promise of future updates I'd wipe Android and replace it with webos. It's - incredibly - still the better UI.
    Though Android increasingly gets closer (see new task manager in upcoming Android L/5.0).

I don't need many apps. Would be nice to have a Kindleapp for webos (sadly the cloud reader only runs on desktop browsers).
    The "Bahnfahren" app for webos is actually better than anything I could find for Android.

And most of the functionality of many apps can now be had with mobile-adapted web pages as long as one has a modern HTML5 browser.

I also miss using my Touchstones for charging. The Qi charger I tried (official one from LG?) is inferior to the Touchstone.

Sigh - Palm got so many things right years ago - too bad they ran out of money and HP was too stupid/short sighted to stay with it. Event a fraction of the billions they burned during their botched reorganization phase would have financed webos market penetration for years.

Anyway - until I can hopefully replace Android with LuneOS one day - Nexus 5 is a fine device, with great hardware at a very low price (for what you get).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Jimbode likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Moto X is a fantastic phone. The Active notifications and Open Mic features are what stand out on this phone. Great feel in the hand and just does everything well. Very function and never hand any issues with it.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Hi All,

Well I got a Z10 last week as the blackberry UK store has the white one for 130 Unlocked!!! OK the phone is a bit over a year old since release date but this was a flagship device when released.

Is it any good? Why yes and the gestures etc for swiping around are reminiscent of webOS with the added bonus you can side load Android apps though they are a bit slow to load and not all will work, however later this year 10.3 will be released with Amazon App store in tow.

Is it right for you? Depends but I have had / still have Symbian, iOS, WP, Meego, Sailfish and webOS (of course) phones and I got to say I like this Z10 a lot, so much so it has become my daily driver.

The messaging hub is great for consolidating your mails / texts / BBM / whatsApp messages in one place. A colleague at work who was looking for a new phone went out and got the Z10 after seeing my one.

Forget BB7 of old BB10 is a different beast all together (I used to dislike BB7 on my work bberry)

In my opinion do not go for the Jolla as hardware wise the screen is inferior to the Z10 by quite a margin and it costs a lot more, only consider the Jolla if you want to do a lot of OS hacking then its ideal, just don't buy one new (like I did)

If your not an app junky hell we all used webOS so we wont be , then the Z10 is a steal.

Barry
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Same here. Every once in a while mine decides to power off on its own and it freaks me out every time! I probably should just buy a spare now.
    (You might try replacing the battery. Mine started being weird about battery percentage and reboots, and this did it for me.)
    I got a OnePlus One in late July. Pretty nice phone. Running Cyanogenmod on the phone.

But I miss my Pre3 already. I use it in wifi mode. WebOS beats the pants off Android, which is clumsy. But Cyanogenmod is a decent implementation. Gives you some flexibility in the user experience. Very tailorable.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12