1.    #1  
    With all the wonderful continuity features in OS XX, and iOS 8, it's almost like webOS, and the SMS and Caling features. I would definitely consider it, but I would probably hold out till the end on the iPhone, because I don't want to waste an upgrade if there is a chance of another webOS phone.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    um... no.
    Not if hell froze over tomorrow. I have pretty much switched to Android.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    I got sick when I saw Continuity. It is what webOS could have been. Makes me mad.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    I'd rather switch to FirefoxOS.

Cheaper devices, iterative improvements based around community feedback, fully built on Open Web standards (HTML5) [like webOS tried to be], and has the ability to be cross-flashed to Android if need be.
    Me neither. I am still running my FrankenPre 2 on Sprint.....but I just got a Moto X with Republic Wireless for several reasons.

1) Need to get familiar with Android phones, especially for apps you can't get on webOS
    2) Republic Wireless' good price plans (due to their hybrid VOIP + cell handoff)
    3) When not on wireless internet, they fallback to Sprint towers, and roam free on Verizon, so I know I have good coverage (see above) when I don't have wifi available (which is most of the time)

Currently running on their $10/month plan for a trial, but if it continues to go well, will likely change my Sprint plan to something much cheaper (my parents also have a phone on that plan but do not use much data at all). I could ditch Sprint altogether, but I can't give up my FrankenPre 2 yet.

iPhone (and the carriers that support it) are just too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    Me neither. I am still running my FrankenPre 2 on Sprint.....but I just got a Moto X with Republic Wireless for several reasons.

1) Need to get familiar with Android phones, especially for apps you can't get on webOS
    2) Republic Wireless' good price plans (due to their hybrid VOIP + cell handoff)
    3) When not on wireless internet, they fallback to Sprint towers, and roam free on Verizon, so I know I have good coverage (see above) when I don't have wifi available (which is most of the time)

Currently running on their $10/month plan for a trial, but if it continues to go well, will likely change my Sprint plan to something much cheaper (my parents also have a phone on that plan but do not use much data at all). I could ditch Sprint altogether, but I can't give up my FrankenPre 2 yet.

iPhone (and the carriers that support it) are just too expensive.
    I am with you. I have been drooling over republic prices, but haven't pulled the trigger cause of my pre2
    never had their phone, got an ipad3 ages ago when ppl kept saying the grass was greener/better and that i shouldnt comment or compare stuff i dont own, so thats when i got several android tablets/phones and an ipad3, still dont like em, im not blinded by free bloat/malware apps, when you actually take away all the "bad" stuff from either app cat tbh theres not a hell of a lot worth using.

yeah theres "more" but not as much as the magic raw numbers that get thrown around would have you believe, a lot of both android and apple market apps are crap or blatantly stuff made to rob all your personal details in a nice shiney "app".

at least on android i can look at the app permissions for something simple like a simple live wallpaper or flashlight app, see way more than "no special permissions required" and laugh loudly as you notice they want access to your phone logs/mail/personal contacts/full internet access/account access etc.

apple apps doesnt even show you that without visiting an external site because the app that did show you got deleted from their app store "for some weiiiird reason".

nah i still use my pre3 esp as my daily driver, atypical phone, sat nav duties etc, all works fine, i use the apple/android stuff for er games and games and er not much else coz theres not much else they can do, a shedton of apps most ppl list as "essential" tend to be for america only so not much use to me.

still got 3x touchpads at home, 1x pure webos, 2x webos+cm10+ubuntu native, which is infinitly more useful than the shutin ipad. i'd probably cream all over the ipad if it could run ubuntu using that nice hi-res screen, but it cant so for me at least, its junk, i use it as a tv or book reader, i take it into the bath with me as well as i dont give 2 ****s if the steam/condensation kills it.

so er, nope, got all the supposed "good tech", cant say id wanna permanantly switch tho.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am with you. I have been drooling over republic prices, but haven't pulled the trigger cause of my pre2
    I know some people don't like Sprint, but I have been on Sprint for years and am in areas (and often travel to areas) where I have good coverage. Republic Wireless (and their parent company, Bandwidth) are local companies here in NC so I also like to support a local company and think their disruptive business model can work. As a software developer, I figured I also need to start getting familiar with the whole Android ecosystem, but still can't cut the cord yet on webOS completely.
    I might be tempted by iOS with what they have added, but the hardware is so expensive -especially now that new android and windows phones can be found for less that $200.

Also apple had not yet managed to copy just type, and i don't think i can give that up. whenever a friend of mine scrolls up and down looking for the calculator on his phone, and i only type "calc", i need to remember not to laugh. same thing goes when people need to go into their phone or message app, and i only need to type in the first few letters of the person's name.

I have also thought about republic wireless, but 'id have to give up my pre2 with just type (don't think android has copied it yet either), and also republic wireless requires you to buy the phone up front and i believe the motox still costs over $300. that's a little much for me a this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post
    I might be tempted by iOS with what they have added, but the hardware is so expensive -especially now that new android and windows phones can be found for less that $200.

Also apple had not yet managed to copy just type, and i don't think i can give that up. whenever a friend of mine scrolls up and down looking for the calculator on his phone, and i only type "calc", i need to remember not to laugh. same thing goes when people need to go into their phone or message app, and i only need to type in the first few letters of the person's name.

I have also thought about republic wireless, but 'id have to give up my pre2 with just type (don't think android has copied it yet either), and also republic wireless requires you to buy the phone up front and i believe the motox still costs over $300. that's a little much for me a this point.
    android at least has the advantage of having so many device manufacturers, and chineese imports are these days often pretty good for what they are even some of the real cheap models, theres quite a few gems among the bad.

mind you, android can often have more out of the box problems which cant be fixed simply, ie: a lot of android 4.3x devices got stuck with inoperable bluetooth devices even tho they paired properly, no input was/is useable, and its often a 50/50 chance of what the cause is, 1 main suspect being bluetooth devices like keyboards being mistakenly identified as something else and the wrong keyboard input file being used.

ive heard of more issues as well not just bluetooth, id imagine hiccups like that being 1 of the main reasons apple hasnt been squashed by the cheaper and more varied android devices.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Xorient, Windows Phone 8.1 has borrowed a few key concepts from webOS and in my opinion, has implemented them very, very well.

Key webOS type features:
    Synergy-like contacts & messaging hub. Works nearly as well as webOS did, with the notable exception of Facebook chat refusing to play nice, but that isn't news to us either.

Me/People Hub: This takes the webOS service-centric approach to a new/beautiful level we never got to see in webOS. The Me hub integrates all the various social network posts/notifications/etc pertaining to you in one place. The people hub aggregates all the various social network updates from all your different networks into one aggregated list.

Photos Hub: This is really awesome. It has local photos, and like webOS 3.x, allows you to view/work with photos from online libraries as well (Photobucket, Facebook, OneDrive, etc). Unlike in webOS 3.x, you don't have to drill down into a separate service entry as they're just represented as folders in the Photos hub.

The photos hub can also grab all the picture updates from your friends across the various social networks. Say you know your friend just posted a set of photos, you can browse to them in the Photos hub and just see that without all the "noise" of their other updates.

Reminders/Cortana:
    The reminder system in Windows Phone 8.1 takes the webOS "Remind me..." item from the contacts app and expands it. Now, you can be reminded to tell someone something the next time you talk to them, but it also integrates a GeoStrings-like functionality with location-aware reminders as well as your typical remind me at ____ time reminders. Really cool.

The multitasking in WP 8.1 is fairly good, though it still has firm limits on how many apps can be running "live" before it'll dehydrate them in the background. Switching between apps is nowhere near as fluid as on webOS with the "Advanced Gestures" turned on. Same goes for copy/paste/select text. webOS wins that hands-down.

The biggest omission in WP8.1? A local search feature like Just Type. It has nothing comparable.

Also, when a new Nokia Lumia 520 can be had for about $55 US new/unlocked, you really can't go wrong. That is an excellent phone for that price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    The biggest omission in WP8.1? A local search feature like Just Type. It has nothing comparable.

Also, when a new Nokia Lumia 520 can be had for about $55 US new/unlocked, you really can't go wrong. That is an excellent phone for that price.
    There are a lot of windows phones that are a great value. If my pre2 ever dies, i'll be thinking about it. the big problem with the Lumia 520 (and most other windows phones) is it only works on t-mobile or att. neither of them have great reception where i live. verizon (and therefore page plus) has great reception where i live.

Really when it comes down to it cost is the thing other than just type that keeps me with my pre. $55 is great, but keeping my current phone is free. :-)

also the pre2 work great with wifi and my $12/month if-you're-calling-me-this-better-be-really-important plan.
    I hadn't ever looked at the EVDO devices, but yeah, you're pretty much out of luck in terms of powerful/cheap WP8 handsets. I guess since most of the rest of the world (especially developing nations) operates on GSM, it makes sense that their entry-level devices would be geared toward GSM.

The 820 isn't terribly expensive at around $150 US, but it certainly isn't the same kind of no-brainer deal the 520 is.

I'm sorry man
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    Xorient, Windows Phone 8.1 has borrowed a few key concepts from webOS and in my opinion, has implemented them very, very well.

Key webOS type features:
    Synergy-like contacts & messaging hub. Works nearly as well as webOS did, with the notable exception of Facebook chat refusing to play nice, but that isn't news to us either.

Me/People Hub: This takes the webOS service-centric approach to a new/beautiful level we never got to see in webOS. The Me hub integrates all the various social network posts/notifications/etc pertaining to you in one place. The people hub aggregates all the various social network updates from all your different networks into one aggregated list.

Photos Hub: This is really awesome. It has local photos, and like webOS 3.x, allows you to view/work with photos from online libraries as well (Photobucket, Facebook, OneDrive, etc). Unlike in webOS 3.x, you don't have to drill down into a separate service entry as they're just represented as folders in the Photos hub.

The photos hub can also grab all the picture updates from your friends across the various social networks. Say you know your friend just posted a set of photos, you can browse to them in the Photos hub and just see that without all the "noise" of their other updates.

Reminders/Cortana:
    The reminder system in Windows Phone 8.1 takes the webOS "Remind me..." item from the contacts app and expands it. Now, you can be reminded to tell someone something the next time you talk to them, but it also integrates a GeoStrings-like functionality with location-aware reminders as well as your typical remind me at ____ time reminders. Really cool.

The multitasking in WP 8.1 is fairly good, though it still has firm limits on how many apps can be running "live" before it'll dehydrate them in the background. Switching between apps is nowhere near as fluid as on webOS with the "Advanced Gestures" turned on. Same goes for copy/paste/select text. webOS wins that hands-down.

I think you're talking about windows phone 7/8 here, in 8.1 they've gotten rid of most of the hubs unfortunately for a more app centric approach. Personally, I'm flirting at the moment with both the microsoft and apple ecosystems, and while they both have their advantages, Apple's hardware is much nicer to behold (if one doesn't include the surface products), and feels a little more like webOS for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by veyron431 View Post
    I think you're talking about windows phone 7/8 here, in 8.1 they've gotten rid of most of the hubs unfortunately for a more app centric approach. Personally, I'm flirting at the moment with both the microsoft and apple ecosystems, and while they both have their advantages, Apple's hardware is much nicer to behold (if one doesn't include the surface products), and feels a little more like webOS for me.
    All the hubs seem to exist on my girlfriend's WP8.1 developer preview device. The only thing omitted currently is Facebook chat, but Facebook made that decision back when they launched Facebook Messenger for Windows Phone.

Surface 3 vs iPad, eh?
    Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 06/07/2014 at 12:00 PM.