Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Does anyone know of a thread that discusses former webOS users evaluations of other phones? Should I switch to another platform, I would love to know what phones are out there which will make the transition from webOS the easiest.
    Hi dgcorn,

Just hit up any of our other Mobile Nations sites (links at the top of the page) and do a search (titles only) for "webOS". You will generally find several threads from members here who are discussing what they like/dislike for moving to each platform.

FYI... if you are interested in Android, there is a forum on AndroidCentral dedicated to webOS discussions (and those moving from the platform): webOS - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/06/2014 at 03:01 PM.
    bs03 likes this.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Thanks. I didn't think to look on the Android site. I get overwhelmed reading about the newest and best Android phone as there appears to be 12 different flagship Androids at a time with the next best version to be released next month.
    haha... yes, that's the Android World. It isn't about what OTHER platforms have in comparison.. it's about what other Android PHONE is being said is better than your Android phone. The in-fighting is really annoying for that platform. But at least there are some bastions of information within those sites for webOS users.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/07/2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: clarified
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. I've used Palm and only Palm (technically the Pre3 is HP) phones since the days of 1x data. My Pre3, while great, has been becoming more and more unusable since there are no updates I'm not sure what to move to either. I'm thinking of holding out for the Blackberry Q20 since i'd love to have a keyboard.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I've used Palm and only Palm (technically the Pre3 is HP) phones since the days of 1x data. My Pre3, while great, has been becoming more and more unusable since there are no updates I'm not sure what to move to either. I'm thinking of holding out for the Blackberry Q20 since i'd love to have a keyboard.
    Yeah, I waited a year to get my Pre+ because I was on AT&T and used a Treo for years prior. I've happily used the Pre3 since 2011, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending time fixing problems with apps, resizing db files, etc.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    haha... yes, that's the Android World. It isn't about what OTHER platforms have in comparison.. it's about what other Android PHONE is being said is better than your Android phone. The in-fighting is really annoying for that platform. But at least there are some bastions of information within those sites for webOS users.
    Thanks for the link.

My husband found an Android phone I might give up my Pre+ for. I need a physical keyboard so I got a NEC Terrain. Now I am trying to find apps to replace the ones I had on webOS. I was hoping other "expats" would have already figured out the best replacements.

I've been splitting my time between my TouchPad and a Nexus 7. I find sometimes it is which is handy but sometimes it is what I am up to. Android has gotten much better over the years but my webOS still does somethings so much better even though it is long dead. (I'm sorry about the tangent, back to point...)

I need help finding replacements for a handful of loved apps. I can find a lot available but it is hard to find the right one.
    For now, my Pre+ is right here on it's touchstone just in case.
    What apps?
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Right now I'm looking for a replacement for ShoppingManager (which was a replacement for HandyShopper).
    I also need to find:
    a Memo app
    Tasks
    a simple text app, I love ScratchWordProcessor
    something for music/playlists
    I have tried 7 browsers and think that I like Dolphin best.
    I also need to find a good mail app to handle my 5 main accts.
    I haven't looked at calendars yet.
    I also need to look at front ends because this one isn't great.
    I think that I found a card keeper, file manager, timer, txting, screen dimmer, and recipe manager.

Of course there were apps that have Android releases; so they were easy. And I'm sure there are things that I haven't thought about yet.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I decided to the a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active which should be arriving today. I'll leave a report after a few weeks of use.
    it really takes a special kind of enthusiast that not only fights everyone else but themselves as well, that is pretty entertaining.

Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    DGCorn, if you enjoyed webOS' take on the service-centric approach and Synergy, you may find Windows Phone 8.1 appealing.

It took the service-centric approach to social networking much like webOS. It shows most strongly in the People and Me hubs. The Me hub aggregates all the updates about you from your various social networks into one scrollable stream.

The people hub takes all the social network updates for all your contacts/friends and puts them into one stream. You can even filter out certain contacts/protocols/networks if you want to clean it up.

The photos hub, like webOS, integrates online photo hosting services as well as Facebook. This is really awesome as you can now get just the photo updates of your various friends from the Photos hub (which I love viewing).

The contacts list is also much like what webOS did with Synergy, where details and contacts are intelligently merged into meta-contacts.

Messaging hub is also service-centric, and much like webOS messaging, will aggregate conversations with all your contacts from the various protocols (Skype, MMS/SMS, etc). It works really well, though Facebook has decided they no longer want to play nice with the Messaging hub :|

Multitasking is acceptable (not nearly as fluid as webOS because no gestures), and it will "dehydrate" some apps if it needs the memory back, so that is a minus.

It has NO local search or anything remotely as powerful as Universal Seach/Just Type.
    That IMO is the biggest flaw in the platform. Otherwise, to me, it is the mobile OS currently that is the most intuitive and most like webOS in principle and use (though it looks nothing like it).

For devices, the Nokia Lumia 520 is an insanely good deal for about $45US new/unlocked if you can find the right deal, more commonly for south of $60 US.
    I went the Windows route and happy. I know other WebOS users went that way as well. Although, I am sure all platforms have old WebOS users.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I went the Windows route and happy. I know other WebOS users went that way as well. Although, I am sure all platforms have old WebOS users.
    If they put in a local search feature, Windows Phone would feel and act a LOT like webOS.

Give it some gesture support and boom, I'm happy.

I'm giving FirefoxOS a try next. Fingers crossed it is a better experience than I had on AOSP 4.2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    If they put in a local search feature, Windows Phone would feel and act a LOT like webOS.

Give it some gesture support and boom, I'm happy.

I'm giving FirefoxOS a try next. Fingers crossed it is a better experience than I had on AOSP 4.2.2

??? Search searches local and internet at the same time. It has a local search function.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk
    I ended up on Android for a while because I wanted to play with the HTC One. My first choice would probably have been moving over to a Windows phone - I was looking at the Nokia Lumia 1020, but since that wasn't available outside of AT&T it made my choice easier. There was a LOT missing from the Windows Mobile OS platform last year, but it looks like MS is finally getting their heads on straight and bringing those features in the newest updates. Once I move to another phone again, I'll probably go over and play with a Windows device. I like how you can quickly find an app on Android if you need something, but the clunkiness of the OS takes away from the draw.
    I ended up on Android for a while because I wanted to play with the HTC One. My first choice would probably have been moving over to a Windows phone - I was looking at the Nokia Lumia 1020, but since that wasn't available outside of AT&T it made my choice easier. There was a LOT missing from the Windows Mobile OS platform last year, but it looks like MS is finally getting their heads on straight and bringing those features in the newest updates. Once I move to another phone again, I'll probably go over and play with a Windows device. I like how you can quickly find an app on Android if you need something, but the clunkiness of the OS takes away from the draw.

Curious, what do you feel is missing from WP? (please don't say app selection)
    I find windows phone completely illogical to navigate and a visual mess with text running off the edge of the screen. Makes me want to throw the phone when I pick one up and play with it. And I'm not anti-windows - I had two Windows mobile devices before buying my Pre in 2009.
    ??? Search searches local and internet at the same time. It has a local search function.
    Really? I never ran into that then. Perhaps I was expecting it to work like Universal Search. I was also using WP back before the Amber and Black updates were even released, so I don't know if this is a new addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I find windows phone completely illogical to navigate and a visual mess with text running off the edge of the screen.
    The text running off the screen is actually a brilliant & subtle cue to indicate that more content lies in that direction. There are a lot of contextual cues in WP8 UI to help indicate where content lies, etc.

The WP8 interface is based upon their early Zune "Twist" interface. Some people hated it then and some hate it now, but I love the clean aesthetics and I find it very intuitive. As with any UI/UX, your mileage may vary. Some people called webOS a usability nightmare! They were clearly insane, but you know how it goes haha.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    that does make sense. on a windows 8 pc you can search for an app by just typing the name when you are in their new start screen.

Will it search contacts though?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast