Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By siggi_digital
  1.    #1  
    Looks like an official port of Sailfish OS to the Nexus 4 is in development. Jolla wants to gain some developer traction and with the limited availability of their proprietary hardware this is a good shortcut to getting their OS into more hands.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaVAMGv3tI4[/YT]

See also some threads at XDA...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Looks like an official port of Sailfish OS to the Nexus 4 is in development. Jolla wants to gain some developer traction and with the limited availability of their proprietary hardware this is a good shortcut to getting their OS into more hands.

See also some threads at XDA...

(sigh!) If only the ports team had the resources to do this.

I've seen mixed, but generally positive reviews for jolla (battery life is supposed to be very good).

On the plus side, I gather that some of their open source code has proven useful along with Ubuntu's Carsten Munk's libhybris project. Perhaps even their alien Dalvik implementation will come our way - to appeal to the, 'more apps' crowd.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/25/2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: miss-attribution of lib hybris
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

I've seen mixed, but generally positive reviews for jolla (battery life is supposed to be very good).

On the plus side, I gather that some of their open source code has proven useful along with Ubuntu's libhybris project. Perhaps even their alien Dalvik implementation will come our way - to appeal to the, 'more apps' crowd.
    Jolla/Mer/Sailfish, Ubuntu and Ports are sharing quite some code for various bits and pieces. All are basically using libhybris in a way or form and other bits are shared too

Seeing what Ports is achieving with such a small developer group is quite impressive when you compare it to Ubuntu's team and the people behind Jolla!

Porting to "new" Android devices isn't that difficult and people with the right knowledge have a good guide to start: http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Porting_Guide
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

On the plus side, I gather that some of their open source code has proven useful along with Ubuntu's libhybris project. Perhaps even their alien Dalvik implementation will come our way - to appeal to the, 'more apps' crowd.
    Its not ubuntus libhybris project, its developed by carsten munk look here Hybris (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Preemptive likes this.
    Interesting. Thanks. I stand corrected.
  6.    #6  
    March 27, 2014 saw the official launch by Jolla of a port to flash Sailfish OS onto Nexus 4.

It is in the Alpha testing stage. Early adopters are sharing the file links and wiki on how to install and I'm sure you'll find these items if you look around the web. (coff coff try Xamining Different Arenas coff coff)

Reports are positive thus far. Requires bootloader and modem from Google factory 4.2.2 image, CM 10.1.3 and the Sailfish image...

Note that this video is 3 weeks old from MWC

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvpbJJpc9y0[/YT]

Voice, 3G/H+ and Wifi are reportedly working.

IMPORTANT NOTE: due to licensing, Alien Dalvik will not be included in the image for N4. With luck, enough adopters will appear that Myriad may offer an APK. Keep your fingers crossed.

I may be giving this a whirl very soon...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  7.    #7  
    EA2 (Early Adopters v2) has been out about a week...

Still no Jolla Store (Apps Market) included, but ways to install one and a Warehouse Repo of Beta version Apps via ssh into the device. Voice calls up and running, but call volume very low on your handset.

Still... It's coming on pretty fast. They've got paid pros on the project bolstering a community effort. These people are putting Ubuntu Touch to shame with the speed of their progress and are getting quite a bit of traction.

Active Covers are like live cards, you just can't stack them...

Pulley Menus and Peek are both awesome...

If they get Myriad Group to license Alien Dalvik to adopters it will be quite the coup d'etat.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLKN7QdGzWU[/YT]

Mobile Nations Devotee
  8.    #8  
    Here is my video review of Sailfish OS EA3 on Nexus 4:

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2HnB8Fkxo[/YT]

Here is the corresponding BLOG entry: My Alter Ego: The Next Big Thing?

For those who want a closer look.

Mobile Nations Devotee