Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frantid
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. Well I'm back from my long deployment to the desert. My Motorola Photon did it's job of allowing me to use a local SIM card instead of Sprint. However, it was an Android 2.3 phone that was locked down so I could not change out the ROM. I was researching a replacement for it before I even got home.

My wife has moved to a Galaxy S4. She loves the phone and it is the first smart phone since the Pre that I have seen her truly customize. I thought about getting the S4 but I know she wouldn't want me to have the same phone as her (she is crazy in that respect). So I decided to look at the Galaxy Note 3. Just a disclaimer, after owning the Pre and not being able to expand the memory, I decided that I would never buy another phone without an SD card slot. That ruled out the 5s, Nexus 5, and HTC One.

I was a little apprehensive of getting a Samsung product. Touchwiz has a bad reputation for being slow and intrusive. I was also worried about the Note 3's massive screen being cumbersome and non-portable. I played with the phone for a few minutes at the Sprint store and I was hooked.

The big screen is gorgeous! The colors pop, the resolution is great, and videos look awesome on it! I can safely say that it is best screen of any smartphone I've used or seen. It beats the snot out of the iPhone 5s. The screen is massive, but it is still very portable. I am able to carry it in my front jean pocket. After using it for more than a day, you forget just how big it is. The only time I am reminded of it's size is when I'm next to someone with an iPhone (most Android phones I see now are 5 inches or greater). Even then I don't think of the Note 3 as large, I think of the iPhone as tiny.

Touchwiz gets a bad reputation that I think is undeserving. I've thrown a few stones at it myself. However, after experiencing "pure Android" on multiple devices in multiple versions from 1.6 to 4.4, I would much rather use a device with Touchwiz installed.

Let me explain so the purists' heads won't explode. I'm tired of rooting and spending hours (and money) customizing Android just to make it look decent. While I appreciate the ability to do this, I just don't have the time nor patience to do this with every device I buy.

For example bought my wife a Nexus 7 (2013) for our anniversary. It recently updated to 4.4. While it is blazing fast and responsive, the UI looks plain and unappealing when compared to an iPad or a Galaxy Tab/Note. I ended up replacing the home screen with ADW Launcher EX and sprucing it up with some nice wallpapers and widgets that I downloaded. I got upset because I can't replace the default fonts without rooting the device and I spent hours trying to get the columns/rows setting right. Even after doing all of this work, the Galaxy Note 8/10.1 with Touchwiz still looks better. My wife wants the Note 10.1 for Christmas (Guess my daughter is getting the Nexus 7).

I'm glad Touchwiz is on my Note 3. It is not slow at all and I don't see any stutters or delays. There are a ton of useful features baked in like multi-window, air gestures, and the ability to change fonts without rooting. It is integrated nicely with the pen. The widgets (Photo, Calendar, etc) and some of the default apps way nicer than stuff that is in the Play Store.

So far I'm loving this phone and loving what Samsung is doing to differentiate their devices from the Android pack. I understand why the Galaxy line is the head of this pack and why Samsung sells more devices than all of the other smartphone makers combined. Samsung is the only manufacturer that offers SD card slots on their high end products. They also work hard at making Android look appealing. They add nice features in their software that make your smartphone/tablet truly "smart".

I still miss my Pre and would trade some of the features Samsung added for webOS (except multi-window and pen inputs). However, the, Note 3 has been the first Android phone that has not made me sad, frustrated, or bored.

The only hate I get for my phone is from iPhone fanatics. I meant to write another post just on that. While I have much respect for Apple products and what they bring to the industry, they are just not for me. While I'm a little apprehensive of vanilla Android and all of the customization you almost have to do with it, I'm very apprehensive about the lack of features/customization with iOS. I can't stand the lack of intuitiveness with iOS devices in general. Once you get past the good looks, they are quite boring and limited. Kind of like a dumb supermodel. No NFC support, no expansion slots (built in), and when compared to high end Android devices like the Note and S4, no fun and useful features. The grid of icons is just boring and outdated. The lack of true multitasking at this stage of the game, especially on the 9.7 inch iPad is almost criminal.

That being said, I don't hate Apple or the iOS line, I just hate most iOS fans. They are about as bad as Dallas Cowboys fans. After bringing the Note 3 to work and showing it off, I had a gang of iPhone users hovering around me making jokes about how big the phone was. There was a guy with a gold 5s. He was "pimping" with his phone and I was slumming with mine, even though the Note 3 cost $150 more than his gold 5s (which his parent paid for, BTW). They spent a lot of time defending the size of their screen and telling me that "Apple is the best" but couldn't tell me why. I showed them a HD video on my phone and they backed away quickly.

BTW, all of this was unprovoked. The only thing I did was take out my phone and show it off to another Galaxy user and the iPhone folks descended on me like locust. Just like in these forums, say one bad thing about iOS or even bring up some valid points about iDevices lacking something and iOS users come out the wood works. I see this here, on comments at CNET, Engadget, and other tech sites.

You iOS guys really need to fix you pretentious reputation. Right now it is really deserving.

BTW, the Galaxy S4 beat the iPhone 5s in CNET recent prizefight and I thought iOS users were going to burn down CNET headquarters. The comments were insane. Grow up!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by k4ever; 11/30/2013 at 10:17 AM.
    I would have burnt down CNET headquarters for picking a samsung. Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX FTW! And no offense, but couldn't you have gotten a non-Samsung? I hate them so much. If anything they get more pretentious than the iOS users, a kid in my math class has the Note 2 and thinks he's all that. You should have gotten a, I don't know, an LG device? Or maybe a Moto X? Any launcher is much better, and in my opinion TouchWiz is awkward to use. I mean, they were sued, and no longer are allowed to use a scrolling wallpapers. (And the iPhone 5/S has an sRGB making it the best colors ever, so your move.)
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I would have burnt down CNET headquarters for picking a samsung. Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX FTW! And no offense, but couldn't you have gotten a non-Samsung? I hate them so much. If anything they get more pretentious than the iOS users, a kid in my math class has the Note 2 and thinks he's all that. You should have gotten a, I don't know, an LG device? Or maybe a Moto X? Any launcher is much better, and in my opinion TouchWiz is awkward to use. I mean, they were sued, and no longer are allowed to use a scrolling wallpapers. (And the iPhone 5/S has an sRGB making it the best colors ever, so your move.)
    I'm on Sprint so the DROID Razer Maxx is not an option. The Moto X, LG G2, and HTC One don't have SD card slots so they are not options either. I hated Touchwiz also. Samsung has made some improvements to it. It is no where near sluggish or slow, especially on the Note 3. However that could be the benefit of having 3GBs of RAM. I like the keyboard, icons, fonts, and widgets.

As for pretentious Samsung users, I haven't met one. Maybe that kid in your class needs a knock upside the head. Every Samsung user I have met have been pleasant people. I've only met a small handful of pleasant iPhone users who were not trying to prove something. However, the loud ones maybe making it bad for everyone else.

I've heard of the sRGB on the iPhone 5s. I keep hearing/seeing stuff in reviews about it like "correct and accurate colors". The same reviewers call the AMOLED screen for the Galaxy line vibrant and brilliant. The reviewers make the iPhone screen seem technical and unappealing. From what I've seen myself the iPhone screen looks alright. Besides it is only 4 inches, has a 4:3 aspect ratio, and is only 720p. Movies and videos just look better on a larger screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio and in full HD (1080p) with deep vibrant colors. The only bad thing about the AMOLED screen is outside viewing.

I hate AMOLED screens, but I can't quite put my finger on the problem. Maybe it's because of how high they crank up the color saturation on them. Looking at them, the white especially just looks off. I've picked up lots of them and checked them out, but in the end I just hate looking at them. The Pre3 has as good of a screen as any phone I've looked at. I do like the screen on my iphone too.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I hate AMOLED screens, but I can't quite put my finger on the problem. Maybe it's because of how high they crank up the color saturation on them. Looking at them, the white especially just looks off. I've picked up lots of them and checked them out, but in the end I just hate looking at them. The Pre3 has as good of a screen as any phone I've looked at. I do like the screen on my iphone too.
    I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the Pre3's screen. The AMOLED takes some getting used to. The colors are overwhelming at first. Almost like neon. After a while you can't take your eyes off of screen. While I'm typing this my eyes are drawn towards the blue colorings on the keyboard. Bright and pleasant at the same time. I can understand it not being for everyone.

BTW welcome back!
  7.    #7  
    BTW welcome back!
    Thanks! Besides the obvious things like being with my family, I really like having good Internet and cellular access again.

Congratulations.

I have a GNote 2 as my "pocket tablet" and my PrPrPr $as$ $a$ $primary$ $phone$.

The GNote is good because the big screen is excellent to watch movies & the battery is great to use as my portable access point!

But; in the end, to me Android is not the point... the hardware is...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I do to, especially because of the burn in. My Lumia was replaced because of it, and it makes everything look blue
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    As you can see in the next post, I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Ace II x. One of the smaller smart phones on the market. Screen is good but I like the rounded corners, reminds me of my Pre. It has a micro SD card slot too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Congratulations.

I have a GNote 2 as my "pocket tablet" and my PrPrPr $as$ $a$ $primary$ $phone$.

The GNote is good because the big screen is excellent to watch movies & the battery is great to use as my portable access point!

But; in the end, to me Android is not the point... the hardware is...

Best Regards...
    This is exactly what I have.

I do miss the cards when using the note2. Holding the home button down and selecting the previous app is nostalgically palm, but not as easy as cards.
    Rnp likes this.
  12.    #12  
    I would love to have webOS on this thing. WebOS would need to be updated for use with the S Pen.

I'm loving this phone more and more each day. I'm getting a whole day's worth of battery out of it with heavy use. If I use it occasionally just to check email and make/receive phone calls I can get almost 3 days out of it.

I actually watched a whole Netflix movie on it. I was not squinting or trying to figure out what was happening in the background. The colors on the screen are awesome and everything is bright and sharp. I started the movie just to see how it looked. Two hours later I was not believing that I sat through an entire movie on my phone.

Like I stated in a previous post, I don't even notice how big the screen is anymore. At least not until I see someone with an iPhone or S4 mini. Then I just think that their phone is tiny. I have no issues typing on it or holding it. It is a two handed phone, even though it has a one handed mode. That doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The phone makes great use of the extra real estate.

I bought a wallet case for it on Amazon. Even the iPhone users are impressed with the phone in the case. It gives it a professional "executive" type look. My wife has a case for her S4 that has the widget window on the front. I'm looking for a similar case for my Note 3.

I'm getting really good at using the S Pen. My handwriting is a little crappy, but the recognition software is pretty accurate. Everyone confuses my small Rs with Vs and so does the software. I guess it is teaching me how to write better. I love the Action Memo. It gets used the most with the pen. I even have the phone set to launch Action Memo when the pen is pulled out.

The on screen keyboard takes advantage of the larger screen pretty well. It is extremely easy to type accurately on it. The Samsung keyboard layout is just as good (if not better) as webOS 3.x. That makes it the best on screen keyboard I have used. Beats the iPhone easily. It even has Swipe integration built in.

Good job Samsung! You sold me on this thing. Enough to plop down $550 for a Note 10.1 for my wife's Christmas present.