Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have a free upgrade over due. One of the phones I can get is a Samsung Galaxy Ace II. Because I don't use data on my plan I am limited. I only use wifi and regular network. One of the reasons I will consider this phone is because it uses the same SIM card as my Veer and it is still smaller than most smart phones out there. If I don't like it, I can just pop the SIM back into any one of my 3 Veers and continue.
    Any thoughts?
    tx
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I have a free upgrade over due. One of the phones I can get is a Samsung Galaxy Ace II. Because I don't use data on my plan I am limited. I only use wifi and regular network. One of the reasons I will consider this phone is because it uses the same SIM card as my Veer and it is still smaller than most smart phones out there. If I don't like it, I can just pop the SIM back into any one of my 3 Veers and continue.
    Any thoughts?
    tx
    I like the thought, but not the brand. Samsung low end phones are known for poor specs, and poor quality, whenever I switch between phones on Verizon, it is a pain, unlike 4G devices, where you just pop in a 4G SIM into a 4G phone, but I end up switching between a Lumia, an iPhone 4S, and my Pre3, and it may be a pain to jump between them, because the Lumia is 4G, and the others are 3G, because I have to go throughout the site to switch, but its fairly easy. But it is worth it to get a better device. Just hold onto your Veer SIM, and you be able to just reactivate the SIM card straight through the AT&T site by putting in the SIM code. If you want to go for android on AT&T, then I recommend the Moto X, the extra $50 is definitely worth it. If you a windows phone, then go with the Lumia 920, or if you are willing to spend more, go for the $100 Lumia 1020. If you want an iPhone, for bare minimum, than go for the 4S, because it has the A5. And for BlackBerry, Q10. And if you want a small device, do forget to look through the phone index on Phone Area.com, just hover your cursor over a phone, and it shows the specs. Or maybe you could snag an AT&T HP Pre3 on eBay.
    Last edited by boovish; 11/24/2013 at 08:04 PM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  3. #3  
    What's the question really here? Um... I hope you enjoy it, I guess!

    I also think it's a little strange people feel they must use their "free" upgrade right away. Maybe because it has the appearance of money sitting on the table? But it also means being contractually obligated to someone for two more years for overpriced service.

    *ananimus continues his march to convince people prepaid works just fine!*
    Last edited by ananimus; 11/24/2013 at 08:30 PM.
  4. #4  


    (to proper forum as it isn't about the Veer)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    What's the question really here? Um... I hope you enjoy it, I guess!

    I also think it's a little strange people feel they must use their "free" upgrade right away. Maybe because it has the appearance of money sitting on the table? But it also means being contractually obligated to someone for two more years for overpriced service.

    *ananimus continues his march to convince people prepaid works just fine!*

    That prepaid isn't any cheaper buddy. unless you are gonna keep your phone for 4 years, it's not worth it. They always get the money out of you. Unless you are on FreedomPop, where you can choose to pay no money and bring your own sprint phone. I'll stick to my 2 Year Contracts on Verizon and AT&T. And it's not that strange that people want to use their upgrade immediately, because, they want the latest, and two years advanciest phone, at a much not $700 price. Like when I spent $0 on a Lumia that would have cost me $650 off contract.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the input, No real question just thoughts.
    I'll explain my plan a little better.
    I have a corporate plan, $22/month, unlimited text and talk, voice mail, call display...etc, no data. I only use wifi.
    My last phones I have bought outright, Veer, Veer, Veer, Pre- , Pre-.
    Before that I was using Motorola KRAZOR (rock solid phone but not too smart)
    I haven't used my free upgrade in 5-6 years. If I don't use it my monthly fee is $22. If I use it my monthly fee is $22.(but I have to lock into a plan that I have had for about 15 years) not too worried about that.
    I'm not one of those suckers that thinks I can get a FREE Iphone just by locking into a $90 month plan and end up paying $1800 for the phone by the time the plan is up. (Canadian prices remember)
    The choices I have up here with my carrier are limited. Low end smart phone or pay more per month and get a higher end phone.
    The thing I liked about the Galaxy Ace is it has the same SIM Card as my Veers. I can just pop the SIM from phone to phone whenever I like. If I don't like the Ace I can just sell it and keep using one of my 3 Veers.
    I believe they are both 3G phones so I don't see too much problem switching back and forth???
    BTW I love my Veer, the size in my pocket, the keyboard, MP3 player, GPS etc. but it is starting to fall behind in tech.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Thanks for the input, No real question just thoughts.
    I'll explain my plan a little better.
    I have a corporate plan, $22/month, unlimited text and talk, voice mail, call display...etc, no data. I only use wifi.
    My last phones I have bought outright, Veer, Veer, Veer, Pre- , Pre-.
    Before that I was using Motorola KRAZOR (rock solid phone but not too smart)
    I haven't used my free upgrade in 5-6 years. If I don't use it my monthly fee is $22. If I use it my monthly fee is $22.(but I have to lock into a plan that I have had for about 15 years) not too worried about that.
    I'm not one of those suckers that thinks I can get a FREE Iphone just by locking into a $90 month plan and end up paying $1800 for the phone by the time the plan is up. (Canadian prices remember)
    The choices I have up here with my carrier are limited. Low end smart phone or pay more per month and get a higher end phone.
    The thing I liked about the Galaxy Ace is it has the same SIM Card as my Veers. I can just pop the SIM from phone to phone whenever I like. If I don't like the Ace I can just sell it and keep using one of my 3 Veers.
    I believe they are both 3G phones so I don't see too much problem switching back and forth???
    BTW I love my Veer, the size in my pocket, the keyboard, MP3 player, GPS etc. but it is starting to fall behind in tech.
    Oh, you should have mentioned that you were in Canada. I'm in the US. Anyway, you should go with the Ace then.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  8. #8  
    Wow, my bad; no arguing with a plan like that. Good on you and enjoy the Ace!
  9. #9  
    I have a 2 Veers(one a daily driver for my personal line), and almost the same case, corporate gave me a brand new S4, but it got stolen a week after they gave me, So the replacement was a Galaxy AceII, the phone sucks only after a week of with very few apps the memory got full, really bad and slugish and old android version. I can't put the sim on my other veer because there is no corporate policy using webos only android, iphone and recently windows. this really is bad because my veer really rocks. I have to wait over a year to get rid of the aceII
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sgcheco View Post
    I have a 2 Veers(one a daily driver for my personal line), and almost the same case, corporate gave me a brand new S4, but it got stolen a week after they gave me, So the replacement was a Galaxy AceII, the phone sucks only after a week of with very few apps the memory got full, really bad and slugish and old android version. I can't put the sim on my other veer because there is no corporate policy using webos only android, iphone and recently windows. this really is bad because my veer really rocks. I have to wait over a year to get rid of the aceII
    What about a BlackBerry Curve? They are relatively cheap, and work well. Many companies like Citi Group Use it
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sgcheco View Post
    I have a 2 Veers(one a daily driver for my personal line), and almost the same case, corporate gave me a brand new S4, but it got stolen a week after they gave me, So the replacement was a Galaxy AceII, the phone sucks only after a week of with very few apps the memory got full, really bad and slugish and old android version. I can't put the sim on my other veer because there is no corporate policy using webos only android, iphone and recently windows. this really is bad because my veer really rocks. I have to wait over a year to get rid of the aceII
    The Ace II x I am looking at has an expandable memory to 32G, 1000mhz single core processor and has Android 4.1 Icecream. Should be similar in performance to my Veers.
    What model do you have? I see there are about 6 of them??
  12.    #12  
    Picked it up today(Galaxy Ace II x) Screen is nice. fast enough for me. Don't like typing an screen, prefer buttons. Navigation is not as good a WebOS. Never should have beat out WebOS in the real world. :-(
    More to come later.
  13.    #13  
    First day, battery lasted 7 hours then phone was dead. Looked for solution online. Online says turn off Bluetooth, GPS and WiFi. Why? I use those things? Wtf?
    Recharged, got 100% by midnight, turned off features and 9 hours later it was still @ 94% without use overnight. What good is a smartphone if you have to turn vital features off most of the time? My Veer I would leave those features on 24/7 and would still get 2 days out of the battery.
    Keyboard? Don't like it, love the Veer keyboard better.
    OS, overly complicated but might just have to get used to it.
    Apps, so much to choose from. Veer was adequate(barely) but its nice to have some selection of new apps that are useful like airline, price comparisons heart rate monitor, snapchat,Skyvi, google voice search, TUNEIN that does disclose my location so that I can listen to my favourite US radio statism, etc.
    More to come as I play with it.
    ananimus likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Ok after a couple of days battery life has dramatically improved. Last charge I got 1 day and 19 hrs out of it while using it a lot, more than I would normally use my Veer because I was setting it up and downloading more apps.
    I still don't like the keyboard but I can just touch the microphone icon and talk. it texts for me, searches google for me, types my email for me. Now I don't need a physical keyboard :-)
    It still feels like I am carrying a tablet in my pocket after 2 years rocking the Veer. And it feels slippery like I am going to drop it all the time. After I get a case that should get better.
  15.    #15  
    Ok so after a month, I'm going back to my Veer.
    Android is a pig. It needs a program, just to shut down programs.
    Even with a 1g processor it is sooo slow. I have only installed about 6 apps so I know I haven't bogged it down.
    The keyboard sucks.
    It's too big in my pocket.
    It turns on slow, from sleep.
    Closing apps is slow,
    Switching apps is slow.

    Screen is nice and I can surf easier with it but that's about it.
    As for apps I use that I can't get on WebOS. SnapChat. Skyvi (Siri for Android) Tune-in (works better than WebOS version) That's about it!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Ok so after a month, I'm going back to my Veer.
    Android is a pig. It needs a program, just to shut down programs.
    Even with a 1g processor it is sooo slow. I have only installed about 6 apps so I know I haven't bogged it down.
    The keyboard sucks.
    It's too big in my pocket.
    It turns on slow, from sleep.
    Closing apps is slow,
    Switching apps is slow.

    Screen is nice and I can surf easier with it but that's about it.
    As for apps I use that I can't get on WebOS. SnapChat. Skyvi (Siri for Android) Tune-in (works better than WebOS version) That's about it!
    Android ecosystem and the flagship phones are far better than the one you decided on. I have a GS4 and I really like it. I would not think for a split second of getting crappy low-end phone and expecting miracles out of it.
  17.    #17  
    Yes but to buy a $700 flagship phone just to get the speed and performance I get with my Veer???? Something's wrong with that. I was hoping for better in the Samsung, just was disappointed that's all. BTW my buddy has the GS4 and the keyboard sucks the same as the Ace but the phone is faster. Maybe if I can find a Pre 3 cheap or trade for BNIB Veer+$$$ ?????
    Rnp likes this.
  18. Choorp's Avatar
    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    #18  
    If you can't afford much, have you considered a Moto G?
  19. #19  
    Nexus gives the best bang for the buck, highest amount of flexibility/hackability and no skin. Those skins really irk me and suck at hardware resources - especially when Uncle Sammy gets involved.

    Look for a used Nexus 4 if you want a great value, or even a BNIB for a bit more. Go crazy and get the N5 and you are still only laying out $399 for 32GB and LTE.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  20.    #20  
    LOL obviously you don't know me.... I'm cheap! The Ace was free for a three year commitment. (to a $22/month plan) any smarter phone would jack the price to more than double that. (Canada, Northern Ontario remember)

    My wife loves her Galaxy Ace but all she does is phone and text with it. (and some snapchats) I use the phone for phone, mail, texts, camera, gps, radio, mp3 and a bit of surfing. Veer does all that.

    I started by saying that (after using it a month) Android isn't a smooth as WebOS. Isn't as fast as WebOS, and if I could get a Pre 3 in trade for a BNIB White Veer and say $50 then I would try one of those before buying a $400-$700 smart phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung probes burnt out Samsung Galaxy S3 phone in Ireland
    By TopTongueBarry in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06/22/2012, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions