Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 2 Post By mattmers
  • 1 Post By mattmers
  • 2 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    So I have a laptop and a desktop but I'm thinking about buying the HP Chromebook 14. My laptop is from 2010 and is heavy and battery life sucks. I'm wanting to get a lightweight laptop with great battery life. I'm iffy about chomeos but still interested. What do you think about the new HP Chromebook 14? It has a haswell processor so it has some power. It would be awesome if openwebOS was ported to it. Oh and the blue color sold me on it. May go by Wal-Mart tonight to check on out. Any input would be great.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    ......another device created by HP

..........and you want to spend actual cash on that?

im still sticking to my "all things HP is now dead in my eyes" stance.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    eKeith likes this.
    Too much of Chromebook depends on the Cloud and always on internet for it to convince me it is a good move.

I'd rather invest in a nice 15.6" touchscreen laptop. Yep Win 8, but touch driven Ubuntu is just around the corner as well. I tried quite a few years ago to switch off Windows and get on Linux, I just didn't have the command line stuff down pat enough at the time. I'm not saying I'm much better at it now. The linux desktops are getting way more mainstream now though. It may be time for me (at least) to explore moving over to Linux full time.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    eKeith likes this.
    I would probably avoid a chromebook as not only is it limited in function, but battery life is also reported to be less than optimal. I currently use a MacBook Pro 15 retina which is rather lovely, but it may be a little large to be strictly portable, hence perhaps a thirteen inch version would be more suitable. Alternatively, the Sony Vaio Pro looks rather good, as does a Dell XPS 13. I also hold a soft spot for a Surface Pro, but the new one isn't strictly out yet. Hopefully that'll help you a little
  5.    #5  
    So against all your advice I bought a the HP Chromebook 14 with 4g for 350. It has two years of free 200mb pre/mo tmobile data and 100gb of google drive. I like it so far even with all the limitations. The screen is the only thing that is a bit disappointing. I have a desktop computer and this is no replacement, but for a mobile laptop with great battery life, this is what I went with. I will always use my touchpad for bed web surfing and email, I'll use my desktop for any work I need to do, and this is my throw in backpack for school and friends houses laptop. I'll keep you posted for the next week of any other gripes or concerns.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad

RumoredNow and eKeith like this.
    Congrats on the new device...

Different users have different criteria. It sounds like Chromebook fits your needs/wants. I hope you have years of excellent service with it. Do keep us updated.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Ironically, I was thinking the same thing about a Chromebook. Ended up getting this instead http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JXJYKG/...bosnation0e-20. Snagged a manufacturer refurb for $304 shipped. The way I determined what I wanted was USB support, offline use, dual boot support from multiple OSes, etc. Chromebook just wouldn't do it.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  8.    #8  
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw3w...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw3w...it?usp=sharing

I see some shared design language, they are both soft touch plastic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    So against all your advice I bought a the HP Chromebook 14 with 4g for 350. It has two years of free 200mb pre/mo tmobile data and 100gb of google drive. I like it so far even with all the limitations. The screen is the only thing that is a bit disappointing. I have a desktop computer and this is no replacement, but for a mobile laptop with great battery life, this is what I went with. I will always use my touchpad for bed web surfing and email, I'll use my desktop for any work I need to do, and this is my throw in backpack for school and friends houses laptop. I'll keep you posted for the next week of any other gripes or concerns.
    Does it have back-lit keyboard?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Does it have back-lit keyboard?
    sadly No.

Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    We all know dirt cheap Windows based laptops are just miserable, even if you put linux on it. Depressing.
    Disagree. You get what you pay for. Unless it's Apple...then you get the same laptop spec-wise for about $1000 more. I had a 10" netbook for years that ran Windows. Cost me $200 BNIB. Never had a problem with it. I'm hoping my 11.6" Acer will give me similar results.
    Follow me on Twitter
    why'd you go with the HP model, vs. the Acer or Samsung? Or any other brand than Ache-when-I-Pee?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    why'd you go with the HP model, vs. the Acer or Samsung? Or any other brand than Ache-when-I-Pee?
    All the other ones besides the Aser C720 have the arm or old celeron processor so they are under powered. This one also had the best battery life and biggest size (14"). I might as well stick with my touchpad if I got an 11" one. Trust me, I'd much rather this chromebook have "Sony", "Nokia" or "Palm stamped on the back but it does not. And there is no way I can afford the Chromebook Pixel.

This is my Foleo
    Unlike many here I still rock my Pre3 an my daily driver and have not moved onto another mobile OS so I think I can get away with having a Chromebook.

scjjtt likes this.
    My choice was to buy a dell xps 12. It is a solid piece of hardware and generally pretty good machine. As time goes by I am feeling a bit disappointed with the battery life and it runs a little too hot to be a "laptop". Love the feel and back light on the keyboard, can't go back to dark keyboard anymore.

I thought by now laptops would run cooler but much it's not different from my old toshiba satellite. I think I jumped too soon cause the new ones come with Haswell processors which are supposed to have decent battery life and run way cooler. Oh well, didn't know about this at the time
    Last edited by laingman; 10/18/2013 at 06:15 AM.
    mattmers and TJs11thPre like this.
    My choice was to buy a dell xps 12. It is a solid piece of hardware and generally pretty good machine. As time goes by I am feeling a bit disappointed with the battery life and it runs a little too hot to be a "laptop". Love the feel and back light on the keyboard, can't go back to dark keyboard anymore.

I thought by now laptops would run cooler but much different from my old toshiba satellite. I think I jumped too soon cause the new ones come with Haswell processors which are supposed to have decent battery life and run way cooler. Oh well, didn't know about this at the time
    When I was in the market for a new laptop about a year ago, I was heavily considering the XPS 12, but in the end I decided that the screen was a bit small and might not date well after a few years (I generally use a laptop for about three years), so I took the safe route and purchased a MacBook. At my school though, it seems like everybody has a MacBook, so I sort of regret it now particularly when battery life isn't great and it gets rather warm. A friend of mine however recently bought a Samsung chromebook. Its actually surprisingly not bad, but it would be nice if it had a better screen.
    All the other ones besides the Aser C720 have the arm or old celeron processor so they are under powered. This one also had the best battery life and biggest size (14"). I might as well stick with my touchpad if I got an 11" one. Trust me, I'd much rather this chromebook have "Sony", "Nokia" or "Palm stamped on the back but it does not. And there is no way I can afford the Chromebook Pixel.

This is my Foleo
    Unlike many here I still rock my Pre3 an my daily driver and have not moved onto another mobile OS so I think I can get away with having a Chromebook.

that's a fair n' balanced reason i can accept. unfortunately for me i'm too imbalanced to forgive HP yet! LOL good luck with your new device, i'm sure it will be great for your intended purpose since you have multiple devices. it's nice to have choices instead of trying to find one that does it all.

I thought by now laptops would run cooler but much it's not different from my old toshiba satellite. I think I jumped too soon cause the new ones come with Haswell processors which are supposed to have decent battery life and run way cooler. Oh well, didn't know about this at the time
    i too would prefer an older, hi-end Dell like my E4310 with 13" widescreen, backlit keyboard, and i7 processor, which can be obtained used at a discount now. But i'm not a fan of cloud's constant-wifi-required, and i really dislike Android. but he's got a laptop too, so as another mobile option for him to carry instead, it's a cool choice. (except the brand of course! )
    mattmers likes this.
    If you want a high end laptop you don't buy the $300 netbook. I don't have low standards for laptops. The netbook is for the web and documents not gaming or lightening fast operations. I hear the technician side my friend. I worked helpdesk for 6 years and saw all of the same user-whining. You said what I said...you get what you pay for. Besides, that's what we were talking about anyway...low end, internet access, document editing.
    Follow me on Twitter