Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By xandros9
  • 3 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  1.    #1  
    Caught this over at Engadget, Firefox OS on the new $80 (off-contract) ZTE Open: ZTE Open review: Firefox OS gets off to a modest but promising start

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    ...built to prove that web apps can do the hard work of their native equivalents...
    Heh. No comment.

Oooo, also has FM radio. Call me old school, but wish more US-available phones still had that. FM is always there, uses no data and hardly any battery. Why the heck not?!
    Lots of Nokia Lumias have FM radio...

And it looks like the FireFox bargain phone is getting blasted in the tech press:

Review: Firefox OS sputters on the ZTE Open | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

ZTE Open (Unlocked) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

ZTE Open: This dirt-cheap smartphone is a swing and a miss

ZTE Open review | ITProPortal.com

ZTE Open Review: Bang for Your Buck?

A lot of the bad press points to the OS as well as the hardware... Can't find nearly so many positive reviews.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    I really want a nice, mid-range FirefoxOS phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

And it looks like the FireFox bargain phone is getting blasted in the tech press...
    Engadget's review wasn't particularly shining either. Staggeringly bad hardware. Still, $80.

And I'm thinking of a 620, just to try out WP8. Sadly, no FM.
    But pondering if the brand new $100 Aio 620 would work on AT&T ST despite the lock.

Really though, the Pre 3's still got me content.
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    I've got a Geeksphone Peak+ on order. It's supposed to arrive in November sometime but I'll believe it when I see it (was originally going to be mid-September). I've been following their forums and it doesn't sound the OS is in a very usable state yet anyway but I'm still curious to try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    cant find the other thread, but there is an older one showing the sales of some devices officially via ebay, the only weird part was a lack of "buy it now" and instead having bids.

Firefox Phone | eBay

bids imho puts ppl off.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  7.    #7  
    The link on the Engadget article was to a Buy It Now auction that was complete after almost 1k devices sold. But it linked forward to a relisted BIN auction.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

And it looks like the FireFox bargain phone is getting blasted in the tech press:

Review: Firefox OS sputters on the ZTE Open | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

ZTE Open (Unlocked) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

ZTE Open: This dirt-cheap smartphone is a swing and a miss

ZTE Open review | ITProPortal.com

ZTE Open Review: Bang for Your Buck?

A lot of the bad press points to the OS as well as the hardware... Can't find nearly so many positive reviews.
    So glad to see you didn't post a link to a CNET article. We would have had to take turns smacking you upside the head with a dead fish.
    ananimus and RumoredNow like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    And I'm thinking of a 620, just to try out WP8. Sadly, no FM.
    But pondering if the brand new $100 Aio 620 would work on AT&T ST despite the lock.

Really though, the Pre 3's still got me content.
    The best option if just trying it out would be the 520 or T-Mo specific 521.
    Even more inexpensive and has FM radio functionality. (I'm pretty sure the 620 is the oddball without FM support)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    ananimus likes this.
    Please do keep in mind that most of the FirefoxOS phones that have been released to date are for emerging markets. While it may seem like weak hardware to first world nations, a lot of other countries have NEVER seen phones at these price points with even fractions of the features that we have now. In fact, if you go onto Nokia's own website, a FEATURE phone with GPRS and a web browser usually starts at $100-$120. Nokia does now have an Asha phone or two that provides more smartphone like features for $100 (retail, you can get them for about $80, too).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  11.    #11  
    Mmmmm, Asha. I'd pick one or two of those up too if I could.

I've actually watched a lot of the emerging market targeted phones with envy. Out of a love for simplicity (and killer battery life). Sadly there's tons of awesome stuff out there never marketed in the US. It goes from total dumbphone to super smart with hardly anything in between now.
    xandros9 likes this.
    This makes me sad, I didn't think it was so poorly made. I thought it was cheap but enough good to use for everyday needs. Its GUI (which obviously reminds webOS when looking at the home screen) appears so nice to me, but now it doesn't seem enough to make FirefoxOS worth a try. By the way, I don't like the "everything on the web and/or web based" idea, but I hope Mozilla will improve it.