Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering getting a new phone. I love webOS and my veer, but the battery life is getting shorter and shorter, and since the battery is non removable, I'm trying to decided whether to get another veer, a Pre3, a blackberry z10, the new iphone, or a samsung galaxay 3 or 4.

If I get another veer or a Pre3, then I keep my beloved webOS, I can keep my touchstone and accessories, no new apps to buy. I also can't get instagram though or any of the newer apps I've been eying enviously.

If I get a blackberry, I can get instagram with some hacking, but I may end up in a situation like webOS where the OS is no longer commercially viable. It is said the card multitasking mimics webOS.

I don't care for apple, but since they've leased the palm patents, the new multi tasking is said to be webOSeque and a familair feeling.

If I get a samsung galaxy 3 or 4, then I can continue to use my touchstone as there are sellers that make modified backs. I haven't been able to figure out if this theme/launcher/taskmanager [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5pdf5qptRA[/YT] works with the version of android that is on those devices tho. Also I have serious concerns about privacy. I have a nook hd which uses android and the google play store with several apps that all want permission to access the call log, apps that have no reason to need that access at all.

For those of you who have made the switch to other devices, can you give some guidance please? Thanks.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    If I could recommend anything it would be to buy a Pre 3 on ebay or Amazon and not switch to Android. I switched to Android in 2011 and enjoyed the bigger screen, tons of apps, and turn by turn built-in navigation. Multitasking isn't that great still and the interface just isn't as "pretty". I rooted my Galaxy Nexus and installed AOKP which worked really nicely for adding options to things not built into stock Android but if you do that you pretty much void any warranty unless you can get back to stock on Android when you have to. I had Nova Launcher installed (the paid version) which allows you to use swipe guestures for a lot of things like launching the apps menu for example. Then there's the obvious like Google contacts working great, a nicer camera, consistent updates for the most part, etc. Now that I'm going back to webOS I find that all of those things except maybe the camera are there on webOS but it takes a little more effort to get them. There's an instagram viewer app for webOS but you can't upload to it at least not that I know of. There might be a hack solution. I don't use it so I have no idea. I came back to webOS because what I need just works.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    If I could recommend anything it would be to buy a Pre 3 on ebay or Amazon and not switch to Android. I switched to Android in 2011 and enjoyed the bigger screen, tons of apps, and turn by turn built-in navigation. Multitasking isn't that great still and the interface just isn't as "pretty". I rooted my Galaxy Nexus and installed AOKP which worked really nicely for adding options to things not built into stock Android but if you do that you pretty much void any warranty unless you can get back to stock on Android when you have to. I had Nova Launcher installed (the paid version) which allows you to use swipe guestures for a lot of things like launching the apps menu for example. Then there's the obvious like Google contacts working great, a nicer camera, consistent updates for the most part, etc. Now that I'm going back to webOS I find that all of those things except maybe the camera are there on webOS but it takes a little more effort to get them. There's an instagram viewer app for webOS but you can't upload to it at least not that I know of. There might be a hack solution. I don't use it so I have no idea. I came back to webOS because what I need just works.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the open webOS project. I really want new hardware. I've been with webOS since the first month the Pre came out. I love the OS, but I have app envy. I have the instagrio app, but it can't take pictures to upload. From what I've been reading on the main forum the pre3 isn't as fast as the newer android devices. If I upgrade via amazon I can get the z10 or the s3 for one cent. Does anyone know if I'd be able to just move my sim card from the veer to the other devices, or do they take a different size card? There is a new blackberry coming out in the next month or two as well. I might just be in a phone rut. The last couple of times it passed and I happily held on to webOS. I love being able to text though my touchpad and I upgraded to the 2.2.4 so I can even do the touch to share. I just don't know anymore...I want some excitement...lol....If I could get instagram though, I'd be happy for another 2 years at least.
    Like you, I envied apps and a larger screen for a bit.

I got over it.

If I were you, I would try to snag a Pre3 and another Veer as a backup (or in case you just miss using the darn thing). Seems like the price of the Veer is somewhat reasonable now too.

But that's just me......another WebOS apologist
    ananimus likes this.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I've got a Veer for sale. Pretty much perfect shape, but missing the little dongle thingy for the audio connection. It's listed on Amazon right now for $75+$6.99; and I'll throw in the touchstone charger and magnetic charger cord. PM me if interested.

I held on to webOS for as long as I could! But finally switched over to a Windows 8 tablet and phone. I sold my kiddo's touchpads and got them Kindles instead so they could actually play games and Skype with me.
    I think a missing piece of the puzzle, Sukiyaki, is what carrier are you on? Subsidized purchase or out-of-pocket?

Those factors make a huge difference...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    What about WP8? That was my phone of choice after leaving my Pre2. I love my choice. HTC8x

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    xandros9 likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I think a missing piece of the puzzle, Sukiyaki, is what carrier are you on? Subsidized purchase or out-of-pocket?

Those factors make a huge difference...
    I'm on at&t. My contract is up so if I reup for 2 years, they discount the phone. The Samsung s4 would run me 120.00, the s3 or the z10 one cent. The pre 3 is 250-350 on ebay. I'm not sure how much for the iphone, but I really didn't want to go apple. I'm only considering because of the card view multitasking. The new blackberry z30 comes out soon too, so I'd like to see the pricing and reviews on that.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    The new blackberry z30 comes out soon too, so I'd like to see the pricing and reviews on that.
    Yeaaaaah, about that. BlackBerry appears to be going the way of webOS, you know? I'd say if you're going to switch, jump on a rising ship at least.

(No offense to webOS/BB, of course. Pre 3 loyal here!)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Yeaaaaah, about that. BlackBerry appears to be going the way of webOS, you know? I'd say if you're going to switch, jump on a rising ship at least.

(No offense to webOS/BB, of course. Pre 3 loyal here!)
    It's crossed my mind that BB may not be the way to go because of their recent announcements, but before I fell in love with palm, I had always wanted a blackberry. . If I could get card like multitasking on the galaxy 3 or 4, I'd go that way, since I could still use my touchstone if I shell out 30 bucks for a modified back. If I could just get instagram...lol... I'd happily keep webOS. Maybe a pre 3 will keep me satiated for a while. I used to get a kick out of just putting a new theme on my phone. No one really makes themes anymore and not for the 2.2.4 veer. One of the dev's updated the glass theme for me to 2.2.4 a while back. I'm getting tired of black, I'd like to have the theme in blue again, but I don't want to bother the dev since I think he has moved on from the platform.
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    I used webOS for years and am now very happy with Android. The Nexus 4 is still a solid phone and you can pick one up on eBay for "cheap".
    I would also say that WP8 deserves a decent look. With phones like the Lumia 520 for $100 or less with out a contract it is easy to get into. And unlike Android WP8 is not a resource hog so any phone that runs WP8 is super smooth and responsive. I currently use the Lumia 920 and still miss a few things about webOS, but for the most part I have been really happy.
    I love the UI of WP8, it's really refreshing after trying Android and iOS. If you really like the card type multi tasking WP8 has that implemented much like iOS.
    As for the Pre 3. I had one and loved it, but it is still basically the same as a veer in a fancier package. (better camera, faster, larger screen) but has many of the limitations that come with webOS.
    AT&T leaves you with a lot of good choices...

And maybe look into the Lumia (WP8) line. The 925 would give you LTE on a top shelf build quality phone. The Lumia 1020 has the best smartphone camera around at 38MP effective w/ a Carl Zeiss lens + 32GB internal storage and 2GB RAM. It's a monster!!! Windows Phone 8.1 is coming in October and both these phones are sure to make the cut.

Nokia Lumia 1020 vs. Nokia Lumia 925 - GSMArena.com

P.S.: IMHO, Nokia maps and navigation, which are free for life, rival any of the paid nav programs.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelkriss View Post
    I would also say that WP8 deserves a decent look. With phones like the Lumia 520 for $100 or less with out a contract it is easy to get into.
    Oh, yea! Forgot about the little Lumia 520/521. Definitely a great little device if you're looking to spend ~$100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I'm considering getting a new phone. I love webOS and my veer, but the battery life is getting shorter and shorter, and since the battery is non removable, I'm trying to decided whether to get another veer, a Pre3, a blackberry z10, the new iphone, or a samsung galaxay 3 or 4.

If I get another veer or a Pre3, then I keep my beloved webOS, I can keep my touchstone and accessories, no new apps to buy. I also can't get instagram though or any of the newer apps I've been eying enviously.

If I get a blackberry, I can get instagram with some hacking, but I may end up in a situation like webOS where the OS is no longer commercially viable. It is said the card multitasking mimics webOS.

I don't care for apple, but since they've leased the palm patents, the new multi tasking is said to be webOSeque and a familair feeling.

If I get a samsung galaxy 3 or 4, then I can continue to use my touchstone as there are sellers that make modified backs. I haven't been able to figure out if this theme/launcher/taskmanager works with the version of android that is on those devices tho. Also I have serious concerns about privacy. I have a nook hd which uses android and the google play store with several apps that all want permission to access the call log, apps that have no reason to need that access at all.

For those of you who have made the switch to other devices, can you give some guidance please? Thanks.
    Defenently go for the Pre3. I switched from my lumia to it. Wonderful device
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    I really don't like Lumias... and the best camera was in Nokia Pureview 808, better than 1020...

I have many Androids, WP, iOS devices... but; after user others some days, I go back to my Pre 3! Serious!

Each time that I tryied to call some number was a shock!

The Samsungs are good to see movies in Superamoled screen, and only this.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I switched to the Moto X. Great phone. The task switcher has it's own button instead of double tapping the home button. There are no physical buttons on the face (all on screen). The keyboard has a great swiping feature. It's almost stock Android. Just the right size. You can get an app called Wave Launcher that mimics how webOS wave launcher worked. The whole active mike is more useful than I could imagine. Lots and lots of features that are not show stopping but that make sense and functional.

I have to say, I am very happy with it.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I had the same problem. My little Veer was giving out. After using my wife's iPhone 4S and my daughter's LG Optimus G, I knew I didn't want either iOS or Android. I explored Win8 and BB10. I finally went with a Z10. I like the phone. Works well. Plenty of apps.

I suggest using the phones as much as you can. Make your choice and stop looking until the phone you chose needs replaced.
    Another way that is see it is, I can use an Android or Apple device at any time.

These are the waning days for WebOS hardware (open source not included) and I want to enjoy every bit of it that I can!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I really don't like Lumias... and the best camera was in Nokia Pureview 808, better than 1020...
    The camera in the Lumia 1020 is the exact same hardware as the 808 PureView. The PureView is stuck on Symbian, dead-end OS.

Under WinPho, Nokia has some very nice software "lenses" and tweaks for their cameras. The 1020 came out with more features for the camera than the 808 PureView had. It's the evolution of the PureView.

Nokia is top shelf for imaging (both screen and camera).

Nokia 808 PureView vs. Nokia Lumia 1020 - GSMArena.com

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast