Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
    When I had to choose between a Galaxy S2 and a Pre 3 I got the latter for a simple reason: I love webOS more than I need new apps and updates. However I must admit that the Pre 3 is an obsolete phone (it's over 2 years old): 512 MB of RAM - people said to me there's only a mere 384 usable and I'm experiencing some lags -, only 5 megapixels for the camera with no zoom while shooting, the highest resolution is only 720p, the screen is a WVGA 480x800 pixels (nothing to do with AMOLED and Apple screens). It was a great phone two years ago, but time goes on and the lack of updates is starting to be more visible since other phones are getting new features and upgrades, as well as more powerful components. Don't get me wrong, I love it and it's a true improvement in comparison to the Pre 2. As I said, I love webOS more than I long for all those things, actually I don't need them at all, but if I understood well you have different needings. Omitting the classical struggle between iOS and Android since I hate Apple but I don't prefer Android, I suggest you to give WP8 a chance because, although I only tried it a few times, it amazed me.
    Here's how I have my Lumia 521 set up...

The tiles are totally customizable in terms of what is on your desktop and what size you want it (among 3 sizes). Many of the tiles are live and give information at a glance which is very cool. Everything you want immediately is on one screen (including websites) - just scroll up and down.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 10/01/2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    qbenguy and xandros9 like this.
    There was that "best OS" report recently touting iOS7 on top and blasting WP8 across the board for customizability and lack of features. I wonder how accurate that is though. If in practice it's more limited but does what it can do very well, it's probably a wash.

Like webOS, for instance. Development's stopped, but there are those like myself and others in the thread who still prefer it. I think that's largely because the simple things like Synergy and Just Type work *so well* and are used so much more than a few niche apps that they go with what's "simple." So maybe WP8 is more logical (and webOS-like) in that it's cleaner and sounds like the core functions are easier to use?

Dunno. Food for thought.

Also @RumoredNow: Second tile from bottom, left side. Good man.
    I've had the Galaxy S3 for over a year now, and it works well. I miss webOS (mainly how intuitive it is), but the S3 is a fair replacement.
    Good deals on an i5 a solid phone buy a TP to keep up with webOS
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
  6.    #26  
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I hadn't considered the windows phones. I like the idea of having live tiles.That was my concern for the other OS's that mimic webOS, I'd heard that they had the look, but they weren't active like webOS. I'm not so sure about the shape of it. I normally don't use a bluetooth headset and it doesn't look comfortable to use. I guess I'll have to go in and see these in person. The lumia 1020 would run me about 150.00 with contract.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Lumia 1020 is a solid phone (so I have read). Take a look

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    if I could just get instagram...lol... I'd happily keep webOS. Maybe a pre 3 will keep me satiated for a while.
    Totally understand your concerns over the app situation, I live with that everytime my friends pull their iPhone or Samsug devices with their millions of applications ( I do sometimes get app envy over other platforms ''WordPress; FlipBoard; HBO Go; PhotoShop from Adobe; WeChat; TextNow; Zite; Google Search; WhatsApp among others), but it not that bad not having instagram app at all on WebOS platform (thats my opinion)....guess mostly cause they never interested me those application which are just merely photo taking apps or social media for that matter.

One of the things that really ticks me off, has been this recent stop in development of WebOS(of course we could blame the silliness of LG and HP) but the worst is developers that used to be fans of WebOS are moving over to Google's operating system completely abandoning the OS. If we had developers, I'm sure we could had third-app party for instagram like soon-to-be downloaded app for the blackberry platform "iGrann" which based on the app description( users can browse, upload photos among other things) just wish that the same developer had the slightest interest of porting it over to WebOS. However, we know that won't happen in the near future, cuz facing the hard truth there's no developers left on WebOS and it's the sad truth for us that are left in desertland once known as WebOS
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/01/2013 at 11:41 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Here's how I have my Lumia 521 set up...

Click to view quoted image

The tiles are totally customizable in terms of what is on your desktop and what size you want it (among 3 sizes). Many of the tiles are live and give information at a glance which is very cool. Everything you want immediately is on one screen (including websites) - just scroll up and down.
    Hey RumoredNow,

Being a long time webOS user, I currently have a Pre and I'm strongly considering a Pre 3. How would you say this compares to a Pre 3? I understand that the specs' are not equivalent, but for webOS fans like us, how's the experience on the Lumia compared to Pre 3?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by qbenguy; 10/02/2013 at 12:58 AM.
    My opinion is that it's not about apps. The phones are getting older and nothing is going to make the existing hardware/software keep up. The Pre and Pixi along with the plus were stuck in 1.4 land, The Pre 2 stuck in 2.0 land and the Pre 3 was never even released in the US.

Best case scenario is open WebOS will be for the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
    Hey RumoredNow,

Being a long time webOS user, I currently have a Pre and I'm strongly considering a Pre 3. How would you say this compares to a Pre 3? I understand that the specs' are not equivalent, but for webOS fans like us, how's the experience on the Lumia compared to Pre 3?

Thanks in advance.
    I've not used a Pre 3... I did use the heck out of a Pre 2 and a Veer.

I've also been using Android for awhile and my test of a bargain Windows Phone model convinced me to switch to that as a daily and seek out a better handset.

The App selection isn't on par with Android or iOS, but so far I haven't NOT found an App to do what I want.

I think it's a more straight forward way to use a mobile device than Android. The live tiles are great for PIM. Tasks seem easy to accomplish.

It's a pretty locked down OS. Nowhere near as much tuning under the hood as you can do with webOS.

My brief foray into iOS 6 wasn't convincing... everything seemed laborious to accomplish. I've not tried iOS 7 though.... Or BB10

The screen on almost any newer device (midrange and up) will be larger and crisper.

From what I see, Sprint doesn't carry any Lumias. Your choice is pretty restricted.

.http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop...FY5r7AodXAoAiA
    HTC 8XT vs. Samsung ATIV S Neo - GSMArena.com

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    You could keep your Veer if you wanted. The battery is quite easy to replace, if you can buy one. They're usually around $30 which seems pricey with all the Pre batteries for $4 and under.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    If you had to venture outside webOS, a Lumia or iPhone would be safe choices. While the 1020 has a noticeably poorer camera than the 808, it is still quite remarkable, but I believe that the iPhone is closer 'in spirit' to the Pre. I have used both devices as daily drivers for different lengths of time, and while multitasking is poor on both OS's, it is probably Just Type that you'd miss most particularly in iOS7 where you can't even search the web from spotlight. Android meanwhile just doesn't have the design flair or charm of other OS's for me (it reminds me of haphazard notion for design of windows mobile), and while I have a soft spot for Blackberry (although I have never owned one), it would probably be best not to relive the drama again.
    Quote Originally Posted by veyron431 View Post
    ...While the 1020 has a noticeably poorer camera than the 808, it is still quite remarkable...
    Hmmm...

The first big PureView battle: Nokia 808 vs Lumia 1020

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    There was that "best OS" report recently touting iOS7 on top and blasting WP8 across the board for customizability and lack of features. I wonder how accurate that is though. If in practice it's more limited but does what it can do very well, it's probably a wash.
    That report came from a company that is contracted by Apple. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I switched to a Lumia 900 when my Pre 3 broke and I like it better than my wife's iPhone 5. It runs WP 7.8 but still does everything I need for now.

BTW...customizing a grid full of icons is still a grid full of icons..
    iOS 7 and the iPhone 5c finally gave me a place to land. I wish I could stay with webOS, but I can't. I considered W8, but 1) I'm tired of messing with the underdogs (and under developed, relatively speaking) 2) dislike MS even more than Apple, 3) iOS 7 is finally catching up to webOS. It's a very nice phone and a OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Although it is subjective, the 808 tends to take far more 'natural' images than the lumia also with less sharpening. The flash is also brighter, and (although not backlit), the sensor is also larger (but we aren't really here to talk about that) :P
  18.    #38  
    I'm baaaack.....

I ended up going with a Pre3, but I"m ready to change again. l like the bigger screen, but it's just not as comfortable to hold and carry as the veer and I'm getting very used to the idea of having something other than webOs. On the veer tho I had problems visiting my banking website, which worked fine on the pre and the pre 3. I've still got my eye on the z30, which is huge and no doubt equally uncomfortable, but the new windows phone commercials with Cortana have me REALLY interested.

Have any of you tried out any new hardware recently?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12