Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1.    #1  
    When I watch what's happening with Blackberry, it's announcements like this that make me completely understand the Crackberry member's pain...

T-Mobile dropping BB10 devices from brick-and-mortar stores

This is EXACTLY like what happened with webOS!
    Choorp and geekpeter like this.
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Yea, I'm glad I'm not going through that again. I really did want a Z10 but never got around to buying one. Looks like that may have been for the best.
    cbosdell likes this.
    It'll be interesting to see if Blackberry has a fire sale similar to the Touchpad fire sale. I'd seriously consider picking one up. I still love the fact that I only paid $100 for my brand new, still in box unlocked Veer on eBay. Not only that but when I brought it to Virgin mobile, because if owned the phone they gave me 10% off. I'd seriously consider doing the same with a Z10 if the price was right. I'm cheap like that
    Jimbode and Laura Knotek like this.
  4.    #4  
    I doubt at this point they are anywhere near a fire sale. There is still a very good chance for them to pull through. They have the backing potential and user base that Palm never had. I'll be cheering for them even though I don't use a BB.

Sent from my HTC One
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

This is EXACTLY like what happened with webOS!
    Scary, eh?. Not quite as daft, unexpected, and shocking I think, but in the end, it certainly appears to likely to yield the same results I'm afraid.

I hoped bb10 would pull it out, even though I was never a big bb fan in the days of old (I had palm), but regardless they did a good job with bb10, and deserved a place at the table. But as all of us webOS fans can attest, it takes much more than innovation to capture a market, and the harsh reality is that the consumer mass-market, does not not play by the same rules as the business market, and those that try to break those paradigms or maintain both, need remarkable will and finances to maintain.

Public corps don't have the guts to pull it off. Google and Apple both purely sell to the consumer base, and only though their single consumer focus, and becoming hugely successful in the consumer market have they ended up becoming a part of the business market by proxy. And that has proved to be the prevailing method for success, diluting the business/professional market to a point that those with the business segment expertise, cannot compete for their former market, and don't have the liberty of their shareholders to reinvent themselves satisfactorily to actually compete. Shareholders don't have the guts. Bb "consumer" going private through the sale could allow the business to be competitive on its merit, as opposed to trying to compete with its own shareholders for two different business models.

But of course, as we know, consumer products don't often pull through such a huge public shaming. Marketing and publicity is everything, and once you've been "killed" in the public's eye, its not likely you'll be able to come back into consumer favor.

I wonder if Visio needs a new bbTV ?
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...enuine-854113/

ppl already wondering if the mentioned supposed sale is even real or not.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    In this day and age, Android and iOS are pretty much the big players. Everyone else is a niche market at best; I think the days of any other OS being a significant player are pretty much gone.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
  9.    #9  
    Oh Crap... this is like a nightmare revisited. I have a hard time reading news like that for BB because it brings back some bad memories from the Palm days.
    *clings dearly to Windows Phone*
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Windows Phone definitely has a long way to go to catch up with Android and iOS, but I don't think it's in any danger. I'm sure Microsoft will continue to throw money at it.
  12.    #12  
    I do like the look and idea behind Windows Phone 8... definitely in the running for my next phone down the line. Who knows, the mobile market changes weekly!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Oh Crap... this is like a nightmare revisited. I have a hard time reading news like that for BB because it brings back some bad memories from the Palm days.

How true and sad. We here are all to familiar with the crazy uncertainty, hope for a graceful save, and yet seeing the probable reality of where this ultimately leads in spite of the hope.

My sympathies to our friends at Crackberry. It's all too familiar, and all too sad to watch again. Their forums will be fighting realism vs. hope, while only time will tell the full story.
    Here's to hoping for the best for them.

We should set up an OS grief counselling hotline to help them cope with their restructuring/loss issues :-). We are certainly qualified in that department :-(

In the immortal words of Pythia, "All this has happened before. All this will happen again." The oracle is omniscient it seems.
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by hulickr View Post
    We should set up an OS grief counselling hotline to help them cope with their restructuring/loss issues :-). We are certainly qualified in that department :-(
    good idea.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Is that the official meme of OS lost? .
    I have a "heart of darkness". Travelling up the river to discover the crazy ******* still holding on to the delusional dream of supporting his OS to the end. We all know where that leads, but we can't resist the hope. The hope that somehow we can make sense of our world, if we could only isolate ourselves enough to feed our seemingly irrational passion for our beloved OS above all others...
    In the end we have to accept that our OS is lost, and nothing we can do will restore it's glory to the world at large. We can only choose to accept its place in history and do what we can to keep alive the spirit of what it was and hope that someday it can return in some form to bring its value to others in whatever manner we can muster.

These things we know...
    and we haven't given up.

Long live webOS... and now BlackBerry.
    P.S. This post may use hyperbole and completely misappropriate literary themes for my own poetic license. ;-)
    Last edited by hulickr; 09/26/2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: ps
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

They held a meeting discussing recent announcement from Blackberry board and not because downward spiral of Blackberry... It's a exact type of article that I really hate.

Blackberry is in downward spiral from some time so its not big news. Their potential exit from from consumer market is reason for Jabil Circuit meeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Windows Phone definitely has a long way to go to catch up with Android and iOS, but I don't think it's in any danger. I'm sure Microsoft will continue to throw money at it.
    I do like the look and idea behind Windows Phone 8... definitely in the running for my next phone down the line. Who knows, the mobile market changes weekly!
    To continue the derailment of this thread...

I recently tried WinPho 8 via a bargain purchase of a T-Mo locked Lumia 521. I got it primarily due to low cost, out of curiosity and for use as a Navigator for a vacation I was taking. I've got a healthy respect for Nokia's maps and nav. I liked it so much I began looking for a higher quality handset. I completed negotiations for and am awaiting arrival of a T-Mo locked 925. I'll put that into service as my daily driver. I like the way WinPho 8 handles and the live tiles are very useful in a mobile situation...

That lets me move my Ubuntu Touch trials off my Galaxy Nexus and onto the more powerful Nexus 4... I've been waiting patiently for that to mature...

Which in turn lets me start trying out Open webOS on the GNex...

Here's hoping 2014 lets me come full circle to the point where I can use webOS as a daily driver for phone.

"...they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth."
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    To continue the derailment of this thread...
    This thread had no rails... it's open mic
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Here's hoping 2014 lets me come full circle to the point where I can use webOS as a daily driver for phone.
    Summed up my thoughts...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Did anyone use WinMo? What were the general opinions when WinMo was discontinued?

I only knew one person who used a WinMo device (my mother's next door neighbour, who had a Samsung Jack). He has Samsung Galaxy S3 now.

Did WinMo have a dedicated fan base like webOS or BlackBerry?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast